55 (Episode 21)
This week…..on 55…..
We talk Season Finale. Great season by Shoni as the Women’s Basketball run came to an end. Another era ended. We asked you what your Top 25 moments were of this season and you tweeted them to us. In a 2 week time frame that has felt like the worst time frame in our lives, was there a bright spot? Were there 2? Were there 3? (Shoni may agree) The Year Of The Cardinal may have some to an end but it’s not the end. It also wasn’t the only streak that ended this weekend. So here we go, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is the season finale of……55.
Here we go……….
1) On Tuesday night, the amazing career of Shoni Schimmel and the unforgettable season of the University of Louisville Women’s basketball team came to an end when they lost to Maryland 76-73 at home in the KFC YUM! Center. Shoni scored 31 points and added 5 steals and 4 assists while playing the entire 40 minutes. After a slow start to the 2nd half, Shoni erupted with back to back 3′s in the final 30 seconds and had a chance to tie it with one of the best drawn up and executed plays I have seen in my life. It didn’t go in. Asia Taylor added 12 points, 6 assists and 8 rebounds. Antonita Slaughter scored 16. Thank you Seniors for the great ride and thank you Shoni as I am sure that your jersey will hang from the rafters one day, and this next picture that I’ve used several times this season will forever remind CardNation of what you are all about.
3) If only there was something Shoni could do within those next few days to lift her spirits and the spirits of CardNation…..
4) Oh Yeah
6) Shoni beat all of the ladies to win the women’s title, then beat men’s winner Brady Heslip to win the overall championship. Great day had by all…well except Oddysey
8) As @Slaughter_4 said……You mad?
10) Moving forward
11) On Thursday I asked you guys to send me your 2013-14 moment of the year so I could include them in this season finale. I got a lot of responses and I can’t include the duplicates but here are your top moments of the year.
41) Thanks to everyone who contributed to the year end top plays. I really appreciate it…
42) Just to get all of you guys in here, here are some of the duplicates:
43) Again, thank you guys for your participation!
44) Now onto the week in Cardinal Athletics….
45) The Baseball team went 2-2 this week as the beat Memphis 5-4 & 8-7 while losing to uk 8-3 and dropping one to Memphis 3-2
46) @UofLSoftball went on a 4 game stretch vs ranked teams this past week. After dropping one to #18 uk 5-0 they went to USF and swept the #25 ranked Bulls. Great stretch by the ladies after a rough stretch vs ranked opponents.
47) The Women’s Tennis team dropped their lone match of the week yesterday 4-3 to #19 Tulsa
48) Men’s Tennis went 1-1 this week knocking off VCU 4-2 but dropping one to Memphis 4-2…
49) A trio of top-five school marks highlighted the University of Louisville track and field teams’ performances at the Crimson Tide Invitational on Saturday at the Sam Bailey Track and Field Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Ala.
50) Robin Sciot-Siegrist of the University of Louisville men’s golf team fired a 4-under par 67 to finish in a tie for second place on Sunday at the Mason Rudolph Championship at the par 71, 7,100-yard Vanderbilt Legends Club. The Men’s team finished tied for 3rd overall
51) The Women’s Lacrosse team joined the top 20 this week with a 20/18 ranking in the two major polls. The Cards had 13 different players score en route to a 22-2 shellacking at Cincinnati. Three apiece from Laura Patterson, Cortnee Daley, and Hannah Koloski. Jamie Redding, who had one goal in the contest, totaled a career-best five assists. Redding, whose 19 assists is tied for fourth in a single season in school history, moved into a tie for third on the career charts with 36.
52) Love it when all teams are on a streak….did I say streak
54) That was unbelievable. Something else that is unbelievably good is @TalkinNOIZ on 1080 am on your radio or iHeart app dial. Join host Lloyd Spence as he serves it up live from the Wendy’s studio M-F at 12:06. Steve Rummage from CSZ joins him on Mondays and Thursdays and you never know when me and Justin will step in.
55) Well there you have it ladies and gentleman….The finale of 55. I hope you enjoy the piece. I like to get you guys involved so that this can be a part of you as well. This summer make sure you look out for the resident queen of CSZ, the incomparable Daryl Foust, to do her series entitled 4 Your Information. If it’s halfway as entertaining as her tweets we are all in for a fun time. 55 will return in August just in time for everything to start back up and even Billy Bob will love it
OK maybe not…..LOL
Take Care & Go Cards!
You can find the previous 20 Episodes of 55 by typing 55 in the CardinalSportszone.com search bar and clicking search
P.S.- Louisville’s Spring game is Friday at 7:30, It’s gonna be a blast
P.S.S.-glad to hear my friend Steve Masiello got his job back at Manhattan….time to go to school bro
P.S.S.S.- Normally I wouldn’t put too much stuff on here non-UL related but I thought this scene at the college dunk contest in Dallas was really cool. Luke fell the best tho IMO…lol
The bond that Payne and that little girl Lacy shares is awesome
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other peoples thoughts, NONE
Posted on April 7, 2014, in Basketball, Cardinal Athletics, Football, Louisville Athletics and tagged #Randle'd, @CoachPetrinoUL, @CP3_850, @Godsgift_3, @JSchim22, @MONSTATREZZ, @PB_Number2, @Russdiculous_2, @schimmel23, @stephanvt44, @Teddyb_h20, @Uno1Siete7, @UofLBaseball, @UofLSoftball, Adreian Payne, Bobby Petrino, Calvin Pryor, Cincinnati, houston, jude schimmel, Montrezl Harrell, russ smith, Shoni Schimmel, SVT, Teddy Bridgewater, Terry Rozier, Wayne Blackshear. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.