Monthly Archives: September 2014
Anytime I go to a UofL football game, I like to watch it back on DVR before typing up too much about it. It is easy to have initial thoughts and reactions while at the game, but you do notice a lot more when you watch it again on TV. So since I finally was able to do that and I just finished with it, I will close the book on the Wake Forest game with these few thoughts, before moving on to Syracuse.
*I believe that Reggie Bonnafon had a very good game. In my 3 quick hitters after the game, I mentioned this, but I have to expand on that after seeing the game again. If you just look at the stats, you would think he was average at best. He threw for 206 yards on 16/32 passing and did not throw for a touchdown. He also did not have an interception. He rushed for 46 yards on 14 carries. Two of those carries were on 3rd and long and he picked up the 1st down with big runs. Huge plays!
Speaking of 3rd and long, the rest of the offense did not do him any favors when it came to down and distance. In the first quarter, actually on the same drive, the offense for the Cards had two different penalties on 3rd down that backed them up to 3rd and long. On 3rd and 9, there was an illegal substitution that backed it up to 3rd and 14. Bonnafon would actually convert that into a 1st down with a great throw to Eli Rogers, but that kind of penalty just can’t happen. Then on 3rd and 4, the Cards were called for a chop block, backing them up to 3rd and 18. On the next play, Bonnafon was sacked. Before the chop block was called, Louisville had picked up that 1st down on 3rd and 4.
Small hands, skinny knees, small body frame, a bad pro day. None of those things would stop Teddy Bridgewater from having a remarkable game on Sunday for the Minnesota Vikings in his first start against the Atlanta Falcons. After all of the criticism that Teddy took in the off-season about those goofy things that I mentioned, I think Louisville fans were waiting for him to get his chance and prove the doubters wrong. We knew how good he would be, and he was just that.
So with the high powered offense of the Falcons coming to town, and Teddy not having Adrian Peterson or tight end Kyle Rudolph as safety nets, how would Bridgewater keep up and give the Vikings a chance to win? Just by throwing for 317 yards on 19/30 passing and not turning the ball over. He also ran 5 times for 27 yards and had a rushing touchdown and led the Vikings to a 41-28 win.
The new polls came out on Sunday for the college football season. The Louisville Cardinals still are not ranked, but find themselves in a better spot than last week by moving up in the “others receiving votes” category. We knew a win at home over Wake Forest wouldn’t vault the Cards into the top 25, but they are still hanging around and can make some noise in the next couple weeks with games on the road.
In the AP Poll, Louisville is the 10th team outside of the rankings, so pretty much ranked 35th. In the USA Today Coaches Poll, they are essentially ranked 33rd.
Photos by Tim Haag (@UofLBirdsNest)
Here are a couple videos from the ACC Digital Network. The first is highlights from the game, and the second is the awesome run by Brandon Radcliff, which was actually the offensive line just moving him forward and forward! I have never seen a pile move like that. You usually see the whistle blow before that ever happens!
It wasn’t the prettiest of games, but it was a win. Here are three quick observations from the game yesterday.
The defense had another great game
Some things are obvious, but it has to be said. This defense picked up the slack for the offense once again this game. Gerod Holliman continues to impress as he got his 6th interception of the season and had a great return that almost went for a touchdown. He also had a huge hit on a Wake Forest player that sent him out of the game and got the crowd very energized. He is clearly one of the fan favorites on this team.
For the game, the defense only gave up 3 points, and that was after a fumble by Reggie Bonnafon around midfield. They also only gave up 100 yards of offense from Wake Forest. Lorenzo Mauldin was in the backfield all game and came away with 3 sacks. Sheldon Rankins actually had an interception on what seemed like the 30th time that the Demon Deacons tried to run that shovel pass play up the middle.
Facing a freshman QB for the 3rd time in 5 games, the defense did exactly what they should have done, shut him down.
Louisville commit Dahu Green will be a play maker for the Cards. Kid makes catches like this look like the norm.<p><a href=”http://vimeo.com/107277185″>Westmoore’s Dahu Green!</a> from <a href=”http://vimeo.com/user14301599″>Inside High School Sports</a> on <a href=”https://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a>.</p>
Bobby Petrino announced today that Louisville QB Will Gardner is out and Freshman Reggie Bonnafon will start in his place. Gardner went down with an apparent knee injury last Saturday against FIU. Will a great performance Saturday be enough to win Reggie the job for good? Going to be interesting for sure.
No official word as of yet but it looks like the Cards will wear these this season……….well at least we have alternates right?
Recruiting is a crazy thing. Just a couple of weeks ago, the Cards had a commitment from 5-star Antonio Blakeney and had backed off of 6’6 combo guard Perry Dozier. You know the story: Blakeney decommits, and the Cards try to get back in the mix for Dozier. Rick Pitino and Kenny Johnson spent Wednesday evening giving Dozier an in home visit, and it certainly paid off. Dozier had 4 official visits lined up and had 1 more opening, and he will use that for a trip to UofL’s campus.
2016 Center Abdul Ado is the top target for the Cards. I really want to see this kid in a Louisville jersey! Watch this video from our guys at Courtside Films and you will see why. Follow Abdul Ado on twitter @<p><a href=”http://vimeo.com/106934496″>%5BSummer Mixtape] Ado Abdulhakim</a> from <a href=”http://vimeo.com/user31493542″>Johnny Hines</a> on <a href=”https://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a>.</p>
According to an AL.com report the Cards top 2015 football recruit Traveon Samuel plans to enroll early. The 4 star athlete will play all over the field for Bobby Petrino when he arrives to campus and is looking to make an impact next season.
It’ll likely be hard for any school to pry Samuel away from Louisville. He’s got a great relationship with Louisville defensive line coach L.D. Scott — They talk on an everyday basis, Samuel says — and plans to enroll early at the Atlantic Coast Conference school. He will sign a financial aid agreement with the Cardinals on Dec. 10 and enroll for the school’s spring semester after he graduates from Central-Phenix City.
Louisville head coach Bobby Petrino, who is known as an offensive mastermind, has promised to utilize Samuel in a multitude of ways. Samuel expects to get time at slot receiver, running back and even as a Wildcat quarterback.
He has good hands, runs solid routes and although he’s small, he could fit in a Darren Sproles-type role at Louisville.
Samuel, rated a 4 star player, chose Louisville over offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, FSU, LSU, Ohio St., Tennessee, and more. Don’t be suprised to see Samuel lined up for the Cards when they take the field against Auburn in the Georgia Dome. Follow Traveon Samuel on twitter @
When the Cards take the field on Saturday against the Wake Forest Demon Deacons, they will be facing a freshman quarterback. In fact, it will be the third time this season that the quarterback facing the defense for the Cards will be a freshman. The other two games were Miami and Florida International.
The starter for the Demon Deacons, John Wolford, is a 6’1 freshman from Jacksonville, Florida. This season he is 87/145 (60%) for 883 yards. He has thrown 6 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. His best game this season could also be called his worst game. In a 23-7 win against Gardner Webb, Wolford was 30/38 for 291 yards. He threw for 2 touchdowns but also had 3 interceptions. But you could also look at the season opener and call that his worst. In a 17-10 loss to Louisiana-Monroe, he was 12/22 for 97 yards with 0 touchdowns and 1 interception.
He was a 3-star quarterback coming out of high school. He also held offers from Mississippi State, Penn State, East Carolina, and more.
Wake Forest (2-2) had their weekly press conference on Tuesday to preview the Cards. Head coach Dave Clawson, wide receiver Matt James, and cornerback Kevin Johnson spoke. Below are the transcripts of what each of them said as well as links to the video on the Wake Forest site.
Head Coach Dave Clawson
“Wrapping up Army, I’m proud of the win, and not just because of the win, but how we won. To come back and win the fourth quarter the way we did, the way our defense played in the second half, there were certainly opportunities to not come back, and certainly things didn’t look good for 20 minutes of that game – late in the first half and the whole third quarter. I think our guys showed a lot of resiliency. Watching the tape, the physical effort that our guys are giving us – I’m really proud of it. We are not playing as many players as we would like. Sometimes when guys play more snaps than you’d like to, you may see lack of effort or guys taking plays off, and our guys are giving us such great physical effort. We’ve got to continue to develop and try to play more players. Heading into an eight-game ACC season, that’s going to have to happen. There were a lot of things (from Army): we took care of the football, their two turnovers really hurt them. We had a turnover late in the first half and our defense allowed us to survive that. After giving up three consecutive drives, to get a three-and-out before the half turned out to be a critical play. Offensively we did a nice job in the red zone. So a lot of positives to build on and obviously we have to build with who the opponent is this week.
In the Cardinal Catch Up, I bring you up to date on how the “other” sports at UofL are doing. You know, the ones not named football or men’s basketball. There are plenty of other teams having success, so it is nice to keep up with them. You don’t have to be die hard and follow them as closely if you don’t choose to, but this gives you options. You can just check out scores and records, or click on press releases to read more details. Check out how your teams at the University of Louisville are doing so far this fall.
In this Cardinal Catch Up, the Cards pick up wins over Kentucky and a #1 team in the country. Not too bad!
*The 11th ranked field hockey team (7-1) is off to a great start this season. On Saturday, they took down the #1 team in the nation, North Carolina, 3-2 at Trager Stadium. Senior Mallory Mason was named ACC Co-Player of the Week. On Tuesday they defeated Ohio State 6-3 to extend their home winning streak to 14 games. They will be back in action this Friday as they take on #16 Wake Forest on the road in a big ACC matchup.
Bobby Petrino met with the media on Monday to talk about the upcoming game against Wake Forest. He also recapped the FIU game and gave updates on Will Gardner and L.J. Scott. James Quick and Pio Vatuvei also spoke for a few minutes. These videos are from thecrunchzone.com.
Louisville put on this laser light and video show last week and it is defiantly worth watching.
From Youtube page:
A 3D projection and light show to recognize faculty, staff, students, alumni and donors for reaching our goal of raising $1 Billion for our Charting Our Course campaign.
This week on 55……….
We talk Cardinal Camo…….YES…..Cardinal Camo. We go over huge upsets and letdown. We go over the wet, wet, win in South Florida and a slew of other great but random things that have happened this week. Glad to have 55 back for you guys after the hiatus last week. Without further adieu, here are the 55 greatest, most ridiculous or random things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom a speedy recovery. She means the world to me and normally I don’t talk about personal issues on 55 but if you get a moment, say a prayer. I put her for #1 because she is my number 1….mushy I know (Don’t care)
2) Speaking of #1’s
4) On that shot by Becca Maddock, the #14 University of Louisville Field Hockey team defeated #1 UNC 3-2 Saturday. Congratulations for defending Trager!
5) Will be interesting to see where the Cards will be ranked when the new polls come out tomorrow…..
6) I got a tip a few weeks ago that we would be unveiling a new uni combo vs FSU in football. Me and Steve went through all the possible combos and ideas we could think of but nothing…..and the 55 means NOTHING could prepare us for this…………………….
8) First off, I’m sorry for referring to myself as the 55. Secondly may I say……….WOW! Here are a few more pics Adidas released this morning
10) Thank you Adidas for everything you do for us……
11) On Saturday the Football Cards defeated FIU 34-3 despite QB Will Gardner leaving the game with injury. The Cards O-Line looked very sloppy but this game was played on a sloppy field. The Cards line will have to improve if we want to have any shot at the big boys on our schedule.
12) A few highlights of the FIU game were Gerod Holliman taking the lead in INT’s in the country with 2 including this:
14) Once only thought of as a heavy hitter, Holliman has shown an evolution into a complete corner this year. It’s been a long time coming!
15) Also James Quick had this amazing catch:
17) Quick finished the day with 174 yards and 2 TD’s. Quick scored those 2 TD’s within :45 seconds. Amazing!
18) Also Keith Kelsey continued to impress after a 4 tackle day that included a sack for a 24 yard loss
19) I still think this should have counted
21) Oh well….I am sure we will plenty of Keith Kelsey highlights this season
22) It still should have counted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23) Moving on….
24) Speaking of our beloved Football Cardinals, UL is a 21 point favorite this week vs Wake Forest
25) I didn’t notice it during the Virginia game but did anyone else see Burgess hit their RB so hard his sweat exploded?
26) I wish I could’ve found that video….I tried but it kept taking me to clips that made me sad
27) I want to send out my condolences to the Bonnafon family since I was unable to last week…
28) When Reggie comes back there is no doubt in my mind that he will be starting for the time being. He is a tremendous talent and will thrive in Coach Petrino’s system. If that O line doesn’t improve we could put Jameis back there and it wouldn’t matter
29) Jameis get off that table! never mind….you know what I’m saying though
31) Ahhhhhh……….he stiff-armed him right in the….helmet
32) Glad we don’t have any more distractions like that at UL anymore (Insert Chane Smiley face)
33) On a different note, This weekend CSZ surpassed the 1 Million view mark lifetime. We want to thank each and every one of you for supporting this little thing we do. On my part I would like to say we were blessed to have such an amazing team. I want to thank Justin and Steve for everything they do let them know I appreciate them and we are lucky to have such a great team. We have some great Part timers too…Shout out to the princess of CSZ and her hat, Daryl Foust
34) Yesterday Matt Cassel broke some bones in his foot or something which prompted the Minnesota Vikings head coach to name him the starter going forward! Congrats to Teddy time and here’s hoping you show them what you showed us at the Ville!
36) Great, great moment….Class Act right there
37) Lets go to the week in review for Cardinal Athletics!
38) Women’s Golf won the Cardinal Cup on Tuesday! great start to the season by the ladies. Emily Haas finished the day at -1 for a 4th place finish overall. The Women travel to Colorado for the GolfWeek Challenge which starts today
39) The Men’s golf team helped take the victory for the ACC in the ACC/SEC challenge. The Cards did fall to Georgia in match play but J.D. Lehman and Robin Sciot-Siegrist picked up singles victories. The team is off until next Monday
40) Louisville Volleyball traveled to Texas for the Rice Invitational this past weekend. The Cards did not drop one set the entire weekend (3-0) and improved to 8-4 overall. Janelle Jenkins, Maya McClendon and Tess Clark were named to the All Tourney team with Jenkins landing MVP honors.
42) The Cards kick off their ACC Conference slate at home with games Friday vs BC at 7p and Sunday vs Georgia Tech at 2p. Get out and support our Cards!
43) The #9 Men’s Soccer team had a tough battle this week as they traveled to BC and escaped with a 3-2 victory in OT. Nolan Moore hit the game winner. The Cards travel to Lexington Tuesday for a game vs uk. I wish I was making this up but uk is holding an ABE-Out…..This will explain it all. SMH
46) Trying to move past that, the Cards host PITT on Friday at the LYNN……
47) Women’s Soccer went 2-0 this week at home after wins over Kent State and Syracuse! This week they will travel to FSU and Miami…. I suddenly hate them
48) From GoCards.com: University of Louisville junior Jeffrey Brown claimed the Indiana University Hoosier Classic Singles title Sunday afternoon. Coach Rex Ecarma is doing a phenominal job, Here are the full results
Louisville Men’s Tennis Results
IU Hoosier Classic
Sept. 21, 2014
Jeffrey Brown (UL) d. Matthew McCoy (IU) 7-6, 6-4
Brown d. Carsten fisher 6-4, 6-3
Santiago Salazar (UL) d. Baseem Mekawi (YSU) 6-4, 7-6
Courtney Lock (UL) d. Freddy Abunku (Xavier) 6-3,6-3
Remi Chancerel (Youngstown State) d. Pally Ray (UL) 6-3, 6-0
49) Other than knocking off little ol #1 UNC, the Filed Hockey team was in chill mode last week. This week they have 3 games! They host Ohio State tomorrow then travel to Wake on Friday then will play at Liberty on Sunday
Good job girls…good job!
50) Guessing with the de-commitment from Blakeney that the CSZ recruiting notebook will make a return soon…IMO it’s Dozier or bust for the last slot in this class. Here’s what Steve thinks..
51) Looks like the PGA is going to have a nice pair of Cards in the mix….I’m sorry for the pun
52) Gorgui Deing is predicted to have a breakout year this year in the NBA because….well because he’s great and our Gorgui!
54) Jeff Walz is on fire as if I even needed to tell you. Check out his loaded class here and let me know who you want to see as the final piece. Tweet me at @Jeremy_CSZ and let your voice be heard! My vote is for Arike Ogunbowale….
55) Finally, Thank goodness that Brock Lesnar left the arena with the title last night and my Steelers smoked the Panthers. at least one little guy I know wasn’t too sad last night. I wont say any names though. Matt Wesley. Until next time CardNation, this was 55………
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
P.S.-Here are videos of the Men’s basketball coaches that are excellent, enjoy!
P.S.S.- here’s the Football Intro
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE