Category Archives: Basketball
Today Notre Dame announced its future scheduling concerning ACC opponents through 2025. It was revealed that even though we were expecting a 2017 visit to Papa Johns, that we will not host the Irish until 2019 in the opening game of the season. That makes up for it a little. It was also announced that we will head back to South Bend in 2020 and the Irish will head back to the oven in 2023. That sounds so far away but sadly it isn’t. The first meeting with the Irish however is this season in South Bend on the 22nd of November. Glad to hear we will keep them in a regular rotation.
This week on 55…..
We have a lot to talk about this week. NCST. Red-White Scrimmage, Anas, 2010 Wayne, Rozier, CJ and Trezl. UofL Field Hockey drops a game at home for the first time in 2 years. Soccer gets a top 2 win at home as well. Even a little High School Playoffs. So sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride. These are the 55 most intriguing, ridiculous or down right best or worst things I have heard this week. This…is….55
2) In spirit of a new thing I just started, I will fly the winning logo from the football game at slot #1. This week the Good guys won.
3) Louisville defeated NCST 30-18 on Saturday at the friendly confines of PJCS.
4) 2 people returned on Saturday, Devante Parker & a guy named Mike Dyer…I think that’s how you say it. Mike Dyer exploded for 173 yards and a TouchDown. Parker didn’t find the end zone but had 9 catches for a 132 yards. Yeah I thought that was a little rusty too.
5) On Offense Will threw for 203 yards and a TD. Eli Rogers caught that TD and 5 catches for 35 yards to go along with Parkers 9 for 132.
6) The defense looked a little rough this week but understand one thing, it is tough playing College Football with no breaks and the Cards get a much-needed bye week this upcoming week. The Cards still hold on to their #1 ranking on Total D. They held NCST to 18 points. A NCST team that put up 41 on the Seminoles, Louisville’s next test. James Sample had 11 tackles, Burgess had 8 and a sack. Rankins and Lozo added a sack each. Mr INT Gerod Holliman added another pick as time expired to extend his total to 8 on the season. Anthony Floyd holds the single season INT total with 10 his Sophomore year.
7) People keep getting down on this team but they must not remember most of our other coaches first years. It takes a year or so to get in Bobby’s players and for these players to learn his playbook after having 3 years with Strong’s playbook. Things will be OK and there is no need to jump off of a cliff. I think we expect everything to go right immediately since we have had a lot of success recently, It doesn’t always work that way.
8) Moving forward….
9) This weeks after story at the Football game wasn’t the win or the return, it was all of the empty seats. Players notice this, recruits notice it. If you can’t go to a game, give your tickets to someone who can. If they can afford it, cool. If they can’t give them to them. Get butts in seats. I have no problem with people leaving early during a blowout but these guys from NCST were down 4 with a few minutes left with a chance at an onside kick. UofL has a small part of the blame also with not restricting access to the Party Deck during the game. Make it a fully ticketed area so you can open up more seats for others to purchase. Let’s get this issue addressed CardNation. We are in a big time conference now headed towards being a big time program….let’s act like it.
11) Well, It was kinda like that…
This week on 55…..
Clemson, Clemson, Clemson. The time-out. How did our other programs do? Gary Barnidge, the Player??? We look this week at the remainder of the Football schedule and I will give my predictions and much, much more. So sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride. These are the 55 most intriguing, ridiculous or down right best or worst things I have heard this week. This…is….55
2) Out of respect for you I post your flag first this week. I was confident all week that with our defense we would have no problem defeated Clemson at Death Valley. I was wrong. The Cards lost 23-17 after a huge James Quick reception set us up with a 1 and 10 from the 5 yard line or so. Then this happened.
4) Well we lost and we should be very proud of this team. Without Will for the first half and with out Devante all game we almost pulled it off. Our Defense smothered the Tigers and held them to 9 offensive points when they scored 91 the prior 2 weeks combined.
5) Also for everyone ready to throw Bobby into the fire might I remind you of two things. One, Bobby has not been around these kids long. It does take a while to mesh with your team and get used to what they can do. Two we could have been kragthorped again. Be very thankful.
6) Always remember
8) Yeah….It’s not that bad now, is it? IS IT!!!!!
9) I digress
10) Let’s talk Defense. James Sample had 14 tackles and an INT, James Burgess had 11 tackles and an INT. Leading tackler on the season keith Kelsey added 8. The defense remains the #1 overall in total Defense.
This week on 55…..
The Field Hockey team is on a MONSTER run. We get more shots of the bball hoop gear. Somebody will be back for the Clemson game……A renewal and a ranking and the numbers on Louisville Footballs great Defense this year. So sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride. These are the 55 most intriguing,ridiculous or down right best or worst things I have heard this week. This…is….55
1) Per @FBSchedules:
2) That is good news for all of us here in the state as far as I am concerned.
3) Speaking of Louisville football, The Cards had a masterful defensive performance on Friday as they defeated Syracuse 28-6. The Cards recorded 2 safeties in one game for the first time in school history and the defense allowed a total of 255 yards. Holliman got INT #7 on the year and James Sample got one as well. Brandon Radcliff continued to excel on the field as he had a 110 yard 2 TD day. Keith Kelsey led the D with 9 tackles and is the Cards top tackler on the year. The Cards will next go to Death Valley to take on Clemson……too bad there are no other storylines…
6) Today Coach Petrino revealed that from what he has heard from the medical staff, Devante will be ready to go on Saturday. The Cards with Parker will surely make a difference as the Cards have been lacking a deep threat.
7) The Cards are a double digit dog for the first time since the Sugar Bowl this weekend
9) Yeah we think it’s ridiculous too…..
On this week’s edition of “Justin Time,” I talk about two of the most beloved Louisville Cardinals of all time, Teddy Bridgewater and Russ Smith. Both guys are beginning that next chapter in their lives and careers, but they will always be Cards. I also talk a little bit about why this Syracuse football game is so much more exciting than it has ever been before, and a little bonus video at the end of the post.
Teddy Bridgewater: Pondering
Recruiting is a crazy thing. Just a couple of weeks ago, the Cards had a commitment from 5-star Antonio Blakeney and had backed off of 6’6 combo guard Perry Dozier. You know the story: Blakeney decommits, and the Cards try to get back in the mix for Dozier. Rick Pitino and Kenny Johnson spent Wednesday evening giving Dozier an in home visit, and it certainly paid off. Dozier had 4 official visits lined up and had 1 more opening, and he will use that for a trip to UofL’s campus.
This week on 55……….
We talk Cardinal Camo…….YES…..Cardinal Camo. We go over huge upsets and letdown. We go over the wet, wet, win in South Florida and a slew of other great but random things that have happened this week. Glad to have 55 back for you guys after the hiatus last week. Without further adieu, here are the 55 greatest, most ridiculous or random things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom a speedy recovery. She means the world to me and normally I don’t talk about personal issues on 55 but if you get a moment, say a prayer. I put her for #1 because she is my number 1….mushy I know (Don’t care)
2) Speaking of #1’s
4) On that shot by Becca Maddock, the #14 University of Louisville Field Hockey team defeated #1 UNC 3-2 Saturday. Congratulations for defending Trager!
5) Will be interesting to see where the Cards will be ranked when the new polls come out tomorrow…..
6) I got a tip a few weeks ago that we would be unveiling a new uni combo vs FSU in football. Me and Steve went through all the possible combos and ideas we could think of but nothing…..and the 55 means NOTHING could prepare us for this…………………….
8) First off, I’m sorry for referring to myself as the 55. Secondly may I say……….WOW! Here are a few more pics Adidas released this morning
10) Thank you Adidas for everything you do for us……
11) On Saturday the Football Cards defeated FIU 34-3 despite QB Will Gardner leaving the game with injury. The Cards O-Line looked very sloppy but this game was played on a sloppy field. The Cards line will have to improve if we want to have any shot at the big boys on our schedule.
12) A few highlights of the FIU game were Gerod Holliman taking the lead in INT’s in the country with 2 including this:
14) Once only thought of as a heavy hitter, Holliman has shown an evolution into a complete corner this year. It’s been a long time coming!
15) Also James Quick had this amazing catch:
17) Quick finished the day with 174 yards and 2 TD’s. Quick scored those 2 TD’s within :45 seconds. Amazing!
18) Also Keith Kelsey continued to impress after a 4 tackle day that included a sack for a 24 yard loss
19) I still think this should have counted
21) Oh well….I am sure we will plenty of Keith Kelsey highlights this season
22) It still should have counted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23) Moving on….
24) Speaking of our beloved Football Cardinals, UL is a 21 point favorite this week vs Wake Forest
25) I didn’t notice it during the Virginia game but did anyone else see Burgess hit their RB so hard his sweat exploded?
26) I wish I could’ve found that video….I tried but it kept taking me to clips that made me sad
27) I want to send out my condolences to the Bonnafon family since I was unable to last week…
28) When Reggie comes back there is no doubt in my mind that he will be starting for the time being. He is a tremendous talent and will thrive in Coach Petrino’s system. If that O line doesn’t improve we could put Jameis back there and it wouldn’t matter
29) Jameis get off that table! never mind….you know what I’m saying though
31) Ahhhhhh……….he stiff-armed him right in the….helmet
32) Glad we don’t have any more distractions like that at UL anymore (Insert Chane Smiley face)
33) On a different note, This weekend CSZ surpassed the 1 Million view mark lifetime. We want to thank each and every one of you for supporting this little thing we do. On my part I would like to say we were blessed to have such an amazing team. I want to thank Justin and Steve for everything they do let them know I appreciate them and we are lucky to have such a great team. We have some great Part timers too…Shout out to the princess of CSZ and her hat, Daryl Foust
34) Yesterday Matt Cassel broke some bones in his foot or something which prompted the Minnesota Vikings head coach to name him the starter going forward! Congrats to Teddy time and here’s hoping you show them what you showed us at the Ville!
36) Great, great moment….Class Act right there
37) Lets go to the week in review for Cardinal Athletics!
38) Women’s Golf won the Cardinal Cup on Tuesday! great start to the season by the ladies. Emily Haas finished the day at -1 for a 4th place finish overall. The Women travel to Colorado for the GolfWeek Challenge which starts today
39) The Men’s golf team helped take the victory for the ACC in the ACC/SEC challenge. The Cards did fall to Georgia in match play but J.D. Lehman and Robin Sciot-Siegrist picked up singles victories. The team is off until next Monday
40) Louisville Volleyball traveled to Texas for the Rice Invitational this past weekend. The Cards did not drop one set the entire weekend (3-0) and improved to 8-4 overall. Janelle Jenkins, Maya McClendon and Tess Clark were named to the All Tourney team with Jenkins landing MVP honors.
42) The Cards kick off their ACC Conference slate at home with games Friday vs BC at 7p and Sunday vs Georgia Tech at 2p. Get out and support our Cards!
43) The #9 Men’s Soccer team had a tough battle this week as they traveled to BC and escaped with a 3-2 victory in OT. Nolan Moore hit the game winner. The Cards travel to Lexington Tuesday for a game vs uk. I wish I was making this up but uk is holding an ABE-Out…..This will explain it all. SMH
46) Trying to move past that, the Cards host PITT on Friday at the LYNN……
47) Women’s Soccer went 2-0 this week at home after wins over Kent State and Syracuse! This week they will travel to FSU and Miami…. I suddenly hate them
48) From GoCards.com: University of Louisville junior Jeffrey Brown claimed the Indiana University Hoosier Classic Singles title Sunday afternoon. Coach Rex Ecarma is doing a phenominal job, Here are the full results
Louisville Men’s Tennis Results
IU Hoosier Classic
Sept. 21, 2014
Jeffrey Brown (UL) d. Matthew McCoy (IU) 7-6, 6-4
Brown d. Carsten fisher 6-4, 6-3
Santiago Salazar (UL) d. Baseem Mekawi (YSU) 6-4, 7-6
Courtney Lock (UL) d. Freddy Abunku (Xavier) 6-3,6-3
Remi Chancerel (Youngstown State) d. Pally Ray (UL) 6-3, 6-0
49) Other than knocking off little ol #1 UNC, the Filed Hockey team was in chill mode last week. This week they have 3 games! They host Ohio State tomorrow then travel to Wake on Friday then will play at Liberty on Sunday
Good job girls…good job!
50) Guessing with the de-commitment from Blakeney that the CSZ recruiting notebook will make a return soon…IMO it’s Dozier or bust for the last slot in this class. Here’s what Steve thinks..
51) Looks like the PGA is going to have a nice pair of Cards in the mix….I’m sorry for the pun
52) Gorgui Deing is predicted to have a breakout year this year in the NBA because….well because he’s great and our Gorgui!
54) Jeff Walz is on fire as if I even needed to tell you. Check out his loaded class here and let me know who you want to see as the final piece. Tweet me at @Jeremy_CSZ and let your voice be heard! My vote is for Arike Ogunbowale….
55) Finally, Thank goodness that Brock Lesnar left the arena with the title last night and my Steelers smoked the Panthers. at least one little guy I know wasn’t too sad last night. I wont say any names though. Matt Wesley. Until next time CardNation, this was 55………
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
P.S.-Here are videos of the Men’s basketball coaches that are excellent, enjoy!
P.S.S.- here’s the Football Intro
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE
It looks like P.J. Dozier is definitely back in the mix to get the last spot in the 2015 class that Antonio Blakeney had for a solid 11 days. We knew that the Cards would be interested in him again, but would he listen to them? Well that question has been answered, and it’s yes. Next Wednesday, Rick Pitino will make the trip to South Carolina to have an in-home visit with Dozier and his family, Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal writes.
The in-home visit will determine if Louisville gets one of Dozier’s five official visits in the next few weeks. Right now, four of them are already set: Michigan (Sept. 26), North Carolina (Oct. 3), Georgetown (Oct. 17), and South Carolina (Oct. 24).
This is from the article:
Former Kentucky basketball player Doron Lamb sent out this tweet earlier today. Of course, it has been deleted now. But take this context for what it’s worth. Is it breaking news that we didn’t already know about? Nah, not really. Just fun when someone tweets something like that and then deletes it for whatever reason. And don’t bother reading the rest of his tweets. If you have passed the 2nd grade, you won’t understand them.
According to Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal, UofL has decided to move on from Antonio Blakeney. They will not continue to recruit him after the 5-star shooting guard decommitted. This is not a big surprise, as Coach Pitino very rarely continues to recruit guys that decommit. Quentin Snider was more of an exception and not the rule.
It is easy to just get wrapped up in the recruiting for men’s basketball and football. And in both of those sports, the Cards are doing very well. However, it is about time to start taking a look at what Jeff Walz is doing for the future of the women’s basketball team. He is putting together a class that will likely be in the top 3, and could possibly be #1 when it’s all said and done. That is pretty good for a team that was playing their home games in Cardinal Arena not too long ago.
ProspectsNation.com is a great resource for women’s basketball recruiting. According to their rankings, the Cards have one 5-star player and four 4-star players in the 2015 class. Asia Durr is obviously the gem of the group, but right now the LOWEST ranked commit is 36th in the country! Pretty impressive.
|Class Year||Overall Rank||Position Rank||Nat’l Rating||Pos||Name||State||HT/PPG||School|
|Brianna Jones||New York||5’9″/||L’ville|
|Samantha Fuehring||New Jersey||6’2″/||L’ville|
ESPN.com also puts together rankings for women’s basketball recruiting. When you look at that, you see that four out of the five commits are 5-stars! Here is how their list looks…
Asia Durr – #2 overall; 5-star player
Taja Cole – #29 overall; 5-star player
Erin DeGrate – #41 overall; 5-star player
Brianna Jones – #43 overall; 5-star player
Samantha Fuehring – #65 overall; 4-star player
All of this is coming on the heels of the 8th ranked class in 2014 according to ESPN. It’s only a matter of time. That National Championship is coming…
Jeff Walz is putting together one heck of a class for the University of Louisville. The latest is 4-star forward Samantha Fuehring, who stands at 6’3. She plays at Immaculate Conception High School in New Jersey and is the 26th best player in the country according to ProspectsNation.com.
Antonio Blakeney has just opened up his recruitment, according to ESPN’s Reggie Rankin. Rick Pitino was supposed to go visit him in Florida on Wednesday. Obviously, that will not happen now. Here are some tweets from this happening.
This has a very BLUE feel to it if you ask me.
With the class of 2015 wrapped up for Rick Pitino, the weekly CSZ Recruiting Notebook is also on a break right now. We will return with it around the time that basketball season starts and get you introduced to some of the guys in the 2016 class.
One of the players surely to make the list will be Tyus Battle. He is a 6’6 shooting guard from Edison, New Jersey. He is a consensus 5-star player on the four major recruiting sites. Here is how he ranks on each site:
247 Sports: #11 overall, #3 SG
ESPN: #15 overall, #4 SG