Category Archives: Basketball
This week on 55……….
We talk Cardinal Camo…….YES…..Cardinal Camo. We go over huge upsets and letdown. We go over the wet, wet, win in South Florida and a slew of other great but random things that have happened this week. Glad to have 55 back for you guys after the hiatus last week. Without further adieu, here are the 55 greatest, most ridiculous or random things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom a speedy recovery. She means the world to me and normally I don’t talk about personal issues on 55 but if you get a moment, say a prayer. I put her for #1 because she is my number 1….mushy I know (Don’t care)
2) Speaking of #1’s
4) On that shot by Becca Maddock, the #14 University of Louisville Field Hockey team defeated #1 UNC 3-2 Saturday. Congratulations for defending Trager!
5) Will be interesting to see where the Cards will be ranked when the new polls come out tomorrow…..
6) I got a tip a few weeks ago that we would be unveiling a new uni combo vs FSU in football. Me and Steve went through all the possible combos and ideas we could think of but nothing…..and the 55 means NOTHING could prepare us for this…………………….
8) First off, I’m sorry for referring to myself as the 55. Secondly may I say……….WOW! Here are a few more pics Adidas released this morning
10) Thank you Adidas for everything you do for us……
11) On Saturday the Football Cards defeated FIU 34-3 despite QB Will Gardner leaving the game with injury. The Cards O-Line looked very sloppy but this game was played on a sloppy field. The Cards line will have to improve if we want to have any shot at the big boys on our schedule.
12) A few highlights of the FIU game were Gerod Holliman taking the lead in INT’s in the country with 2 including this:
14) Once only thought of as a heavy hitter, Holliman has shown an evolution into a complete corner this year. It’s been a long time coming!
15) Also James Quick had this amazing catch:
17) Quick finished the day with 174 yards and 2 TD’s. Quick scored those 2 TD’s within :45 seconds. Amazing!
18) Also Keith Kelsey continued to impress after a 4 tackle day that included a sack for a 24 yard loss
19) I still think this should have counted
21) Oh well….I am sure we will plenty of Keith Kelsey highlights this season
22) It still should have counted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23) Moving on….
24) Speaking of our beloved Football Cardinals, UL is a 21 point favorite this week vs Wake Forest
25) I didn’t notice it during the Virginia game but did anyone else see Burgess hit their RB so hard his sweat exploded?
26) I wish I could’ve found that video….I tried but it kept taking me to clips that made me sad
27) I want to send out my condolences to the Bonnafon family since I was unable to last week…
28) When Reggie comes back there is no doubt in my mind that he will be starting for the time being. He is a tremendous talent and will thrive in Coach Petrino’s system. If that O line doesn’t improve we could put Jameis back there and it wouldn’t matter
29) Jameis get off that table! never mind….you know what I’m saying though
31) Ahhhhhh……….he stiff-armed him right in the….helmet
32) Glad we don’t have any more distractions like that at UL anymore (Insert Chane Smiley face)
33) On a different note, This weekend CSZ surpassed the 1 Million view mark lifetime. We want to thank each and every one of you for supporting this little thing we do. On my part I would like to say we were blessed to have such an amazing team. I want to thank Justin and Steve for everything they do let them know I appreciate them and we are lucky to have such a great team. We have some great Part timers too…Shout out to the princess of CSZ and her hat, Daryl Foust
34) Yesterday Matt Cassel broke some bones in his foot or something which prompted the Minnesota Vikings head coach to name him the starter going forward! Congrats to Teddy time and here’s hoping you show them what you showed us at the Ville!
36) Great, great moment….Class Act right there
37) Lets go to the week in review for Cardinal Athletics!
38) Women’s Golf won the Cardinal Cup on Tuesday! great start to the season by the ladies. Emily Haas finished the day at -1 for a 4th place finish overall. The Women travel to Colorado for the GolfWeek Challenge which starts today
39) The Men’s golf team helped take the victory for the ACC in the ACC/SEC challenge. The Cards did fall to Georgia in match play but J.D. Lehman and Robin Sciot-Siegrist picked up singles victories. The team is off until next Monday
40) Louisville Volleyball traveled to Texas for the Rice Invitational this past weekend. The Cards did not drop one set the entire weekend (3-0) and improved to 8-4 overall. Janelle Jenkins, Maya McClendon and Tess Clark were named to the All Tourney team with Jenkins landing MVP honors.
42) The Cards kick off their ACC Conference slate at home with games Friday vs BC at 7p and Sunday vs Georgia Tech at 2p. Get out and support our Cards!
43) The #9 Men’s Soccer team had a tough battle this week as they traveled to BC and escaped with a 3-2 victory in OT. Nolan Moore hit the game winner. The Cards travel to Lexington Tuesday for a game vs uk. I wish I was making this up but uk is holding an ABE-Out…..This will explain it all. SMH
46) Trying to move past that, the Cards host PITT on Friday at the LYNN……
47) Women’s Soccer went 2-0 this week at home after wins over Kent State and Syracuse! This week they will travel to FSU and Miami…. I suddenly hate them
48) From GoCards.com: University of Louisville junior Jeffrey Brown claimed the Indiana University Hoosier Classic Singles title Sunday afternoon. Coach Rex Ecarma is doing a phenominal job, Here are the full results
Louisville Men’s Tennis Results
IU Hoosier Classic
Sept. 21, 2014
Jeffrey Brown (UL) d. Matthew McCoy (IU) 7-6, 6-4
Brown d. Carsten fisher 6-4, 6-3
Santiago Salazar (UL) d. Baseem Mekawi (YSU) 6-4, 7-6
Courtney Lock (UL) d. Freddy Abunku (Xavier) 6-3,6-3
Remi Chancerel (Youngstown State) d. Pally Ray (UL) 6-3, 6-0
49) Other than knocking off little ol #1 UNC, the Filed Hockey team was in chill mode last week. This week they have 3 games! They host Ohio State tomorrow then travel to Wake on Friday then will play at Liberty on Sunday
Good job girls…good job!
50) Guessing with the de-commitment from Blakeney that the CSZ recruiting notebook will make a return soon…IMO it’s Dozier or bust for the last slot in this class. Here’s what Steve thinks..
51) Looks like the PGA is going to have a nice pair of Cards in the mix….I’m sorry for the pun
52) Gorgui Deing is predicted to have a breakout year this year in the NBA because….well because he’s great and our Gorgui!
54) Jeff Walz is on fire as if I even needed to tell you. Check out his loaded class here and let me know who you want to see as the final piece. Tweet me at @Jeremy_CSZ and let your voice be heard! My vote is for Arike Ogunbowale….
55) Finally, Thank goodness that Brock Lesnar left the arena with the title last night and my Steelers smoked the Panthers. at least one little guy I know wasn’t too sad last night. I wont say any names though. Matt Wesley. Until next time CardNation, this was 55………
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
P.S.-Here are videos of the Men’s basketball coaches that are excellent, enjoy!
P.S.S.- here’s the Football Intro
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE
It looks like P.J. Dozier is definitely back in the mix to get the last spot in the 2015 class that Antonio Blakeney had for a solid 11 days. We knew that the Cards would be interested in him again, but would he listen to them? Well that question has been answered, and it’s yes. Next Wednesday, Rick Pitino will make the trip to South Carolina to have an in-home visit with Dozier and his family, Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal writes.
The in-home visit will determine if Louisville gets one of Dozier’s five official visits in the next few weeks. Right now, four of them are already set: Michigan (Sept. 26), North Carolina (Oct. 3), Georgetown (Oct. 17), and South Carolina (Oct. 24).
This is from the article:
Former Kentucky basketball player Doron Lamb sent out this tweet earlier today. Of course, it has been deleted now. But take this context for what it’s worth. Is it breaking news that we didn’t already know about? Nah, not really. Just fun when someone tweets something like that and then deletes it for whatever reason. And don’t bother reading the rest of his tweets. If you have passed the 2nd grade, you won’t understand them.
According to Steve Jones of the Courier-Journal, UofL has decided to move on from Antonio Blakeney. They will not continue to recruit him after the 5-star shooting guard decommitted. This is not a big surprise, as Coach Pitino very rarely continues to recruit guys that decommit. Quentin Snider was more of an exception and not the rule.
It is easy to just get wrapped up in the recruiting for men’s basketball and football. And in both of those sports, the Cards are doing very well. However, it is about time to start taking a look at what Jeff Walz is doing for the future of the women’s basketball team. He is putting together a class that will likely be in the top 3, and could possibly be #1 when it’s all said and done. That is pretty good for a team that was playing their home games in Cardinal Arena not too long ago.
ProspectsNation.com is a great resource for women’s basketball recruiting. According to their rankings, the Cards have one 5-star player and four 4-star players in the 2015 class. Asia Durr is obviously the gem of the group, but right now the LOWEST ranked commit is 36th in the country! Pretty impressive.
|Class Year||Overall Rank||Position Rank||Nat’l Rating||Pos||Name||State||HT/PPG||School|
|Brianna Jones||New York||5’9″/||L’ville|
|Samantha Fuehring||New Jersey||6’2″/||L’ville|
ESPN.com also puts together rankings for women’s basketball recruiting. When you look at that, you see that four out of the five commits are 5-stars! Here is how their list looks…
Asia Durr – #2 overall; 5-star player
Taja Cole – #29 overall; 5-star player
Erin DeGrate – #41 overall; 5-star player
Brianna Jones – #43 overall; 5-star player
Samantha Fuehring – #65 overall; 4-star player
All of this is coming on the heels of the 8th ranked class in 2014 according to ESPN. It’s only a matter of time. That National Championship is coming…
Jeff Walz is putting together one heck of a class for the University of Louisville. The latest is 4-star forward Samantha Fuehring, who stands at 6’3. She plays at Immaculate Conception High School in New Jersey and is the 26th best player in the country according to ProspectsNation.com.
Antonio Blakeney has just opened up his recruitment, according to ESPN’s Reggie Rankin. Rick Pitino was supposed to go visit him in Florida on Wednesday. Obviously, that will not happen now. Here are some tweets from this happening.
This has a very BLUE feel to it if you ask me.
With the class of 2015 wrapped up for Rick Pitino, the weekly CSZ Recruiting Notebook is also on a break right now. We will return with it around the time that basketball season starts and get you introduced to some of the guys in the 2016 class.
One of the players surely to make the list will be Tyus Battle. He is a 6’6 shooting guard from Edison, New Jersey. He is a consensus 5-star player on the four major recruiting sites. Here is how he ranks on each site:
247 Sports: #11 overall, #3 SG
ESPN: #15 overall, #4 SG
Yesterday the University of Louisville released the 2014-15 schedule for the women’s basketball team. As much as you hear about Rick Pitino and now Bobby Petrino, Jeff Walz is absolutely getting it done on the women’s side of things. If you are like me, you just get the feeling that he is knocking on the door of bringing a National Championship to Louisville. One great thing about being in the ACC will mean that UConn is not in the conference. However, you will surely still see them at some point in the tournament, but that’s ok. Walz will get the job done sooner rather than later.
“This competition is one of the reasons our program is so excited about going into the ACC,” head coach Jeff Walz said. “The strength of this league from top to bottom is remarkable. We know we’re going to be tested every single night, and that’s only going to make us better as we prepare for postseason. I think our fans are in for a real treat with this schedule.”
Need ticket information? This comes from UofL:
Here is the video of Asia’s commitment to the University of Louisville for those of us that did not get to watch it live. It does take a minute or so to load so be patient. Today was a historical day for Jeff Walz and U of L women’s basketball. Asia’s commitment gives us the #1 ranked recruiting class in 2015 for the moment. We have more targets out there that could solidify the #1 ranking. Enjoy!
Jeff Walz just picked up what some people are saying is his biggest recruit ever! Asia Durr, ranked the #1 player in the country by many scouting services, has committed to Louisville over women’s basketball powerhouses Notre Dame, Baylor, Duke, and Maryland.
Durr is a 5’10 point guard from Douglasville, Georgia. ESPN ranks her as the top point guard in the country and the #2 player overall, and a 5-star player obviously.
As good as she is on the court, it appears Walz is getting one heck of a person off the court too. This from ESPN.com:
In addition, Durr, who carries a 3.2 GPA and is interested in studying sports management, is active in her community.
She has volunteered on behalf of the Shoes For Haiti campaign and has written letters to U.S. troops as part of the Works of Mercy service program. She has helped the homeless, working with the Destiny World Church ministry, and the hungry as part of the Meals on Wheels Association of America.
This week on 55……….
We talk commitments……HUGE commitments. How the Cards are doing under Bobby P. Red-White scrimmage tickets go on sale. Hot dogs, Nelson, Intrastate rivals and more. Is there one more big commitment in the CARDS for UofL this week? I say L yeah! So strap in, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC………..I’m really not sure if I said it enough times but ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC. My bad, I know that was the same #1 as it was last week but so much more respect nationally just due to the conference switch. Much more fun league to be a part of as well. Got the following tweet right after the game….
3) Last year we would have “slipped by” or “escaped” This year we shut down a top ACC team. So proud of this team…..
4) Read my experience from my first ACC game here
Video of the awesome redesign of the court at the YUM! via @GoCards…………Enjoy!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It’s almost time!
I started this new weekly blog last week, and I must say that I think I am going to enjoy doing it. If not, you will know because it will just stop. But the point of it is just to give my thoughts and opinions on whatever comes to mind, obviously focusing on UofL sports. But rather than just posting facts and passing along information, this is more of an open forum for me. Like with most of these types of posts that I do, I go into it with a little plan, and just start typing and see what happens. It seems to work better that way for me. Maybe there should be more of a plan, I don’t know. I haven’t taken 1 journalism class in my life so I am not 100% sure how that whole process works. I will just type what comes to mind, and hopefully you enjoy reading it. If not, here is my apology: sorry. Now, onto this week’s topics for you to read about Justin time for the weekend!
The 6-0 start is there for the taking
When the football schedule came out, we were all excited to see the big names like Florida State, Notre Dame, Clemson, and Miami. We realized we finally had a good schedule and we are not in the AAC or Big East anymore. The more you looked at the schedule, the more you may have noticed that the second half of the schedule is much tougher than the first half. I couldn’t help but think that if we just got by Miami, a 6-0 start was very possible. Well, we got by Miami for sure. Now just take a look at the next 5 games.
The men’s basketball team will have two Red-White scrimmages this fall on October 19 and 26. Both will start at 2:00 pm ET. Tickets go on sale this morning. From UofL:
Tickets, priced at $10 for lower side and corner arena seats and $5 for end zone and upper arena seats, will go on sale beginning at 10 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 5 at the UofL Ticket Office, located near Gate 2 of Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium at 2800 South Floyd Street. The ticket office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
With the recent commitment of Antonio Blakeney to Louisville, the Cards have put together what will be one of the best classes in the country. Here is how each player is rated on each of the major recruiting sites, along with highlights of each player.
SG Antonio Blakeney
6’4 170 lbs
247 Sports: 5*
Antonio Blakeney has just committed to the University of Louisville! After having a great visit this past weekend, it was thought that he may commit soon, but not THIS soon. The 5-star shooting guard has been Rick Pitino’s top priority for quite some time now, and he could vault the class to the #1 ranked class in the country.
5-star shooting guard Antonio Blakeney visited UofL’s campus on Sunday and Monday. He was at the Miami game with UofL guard Terry Rozier, who is said to be a good friend of Blakeney. There hasn’t been too much public chatter since his visit ended, as he or his family haven’t done any media interviews just yet.