Category Archives: Cardinal Athletics
This week…..on 55…..
I have decided instead of searching for different pics of the number 55, I would make this the official pic of 55 week in and week out. I would be up to viewer suggested pics also. If you see a pic that you would want included just private message it to me and it will be under consideration. This week has been an up and down week in the world of UofL Athletics, we will go into detail in a few. So this week we will talk ridiculous statements, wins, losses and Vince McMahon…maybe. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom the speediest of recoveries. I almost didn’t write 55 this week due to the fact I had been at the hospital a ton and my mind had been on overload. But in the end, my mom needs something to read tonight! lol. Get well soon mom….love you!
3) Oh well
4) Moving forward
5) This week I purchased the WWE Network, now I know what some of you will say…that’s stupid…I don’t call your Breaking Bad and Dexter and Walking Dead stupid so don’t rain on my parade. I pay $9.99 a month and can watch unlimited VOD and I get every $60 ppv included in my monthly fee. So get over it….I’m saving money. Vince DM me so I can give you the details for compensation for promoting your product.
7) Well…..that’s not nice. And to think, I supported the XFL
9) Yeah you’re right Kobe…that was a lie
10) This week the Boy’s High School 6th & 7th Regional Tourney draw was decided
6th Region Tournament Draw
Bluegrass Basketball (@BluegrassBball) March 01, 2014
7th Region Tournament Draw
Bluegrass Basketball (@BluegrassBball) March 01, 2014
12) Good Luck young men and do the city proud!
13) Shout out to CSZ’s Justin Renck whose Holy Cross team had a great season and made some noise this year. It’s a building block for the future and next season they will make Regionals
15) My brother from another mother Terrance Farley’s (@VilleBlessed43) PRP team is still in the hunt for a state crown and we found out last week his Center Lamontrey Harris won 6th region Player of the Year. I know T has worked very hard with him since he joined the PRP staff this year. Congrats and good luck…until you play my alma-mater that is. lol
17) This week started off as a decent week in Cardinal Athletics. It was almost a tale of 2 months. Here’s what happened at the end of February…
18) On Tuesday the Baseball team won 6-0 over Eastern Illinois
19) The Men’s team whipped Temple 88-66 on Thursday
20) On Friday: Women’s Tennis beat EKU 6-1
21) Men’s Baseball defeated Toledo 6-2
22) Men’s Tennis beat Northwestern 5-2
23) Lastly on Friday the Men’s Track and Field team were in 1st in the AAC Championships after day 1 while the Women were 2nd….
24) Great week…until the Calendar turned to March Saturday as a different kind of March madness ensued
25) UL Baseball loses 6-2 to #17 IU on Saturday
26) Even though there was a very valiant effort by Montrezl and the Basketball Cards, late mistakes and lack of focus lead to a 72-66 loss to #21 Memphis team
27) The Men’s track team finished 2nd and women finished 5th
28) Sunday Men’s Tennis fell 5-2 to #2 Oklahoma
29) Can we go back to February?
30) There were a few bright spots on Saturday though
31) @UofLBaseball did follow the loss to IU with a 8-2 win over Toledo and Women’s Lacrosse upset #18 Denver and the #3 Women’s basketball team slapped Cincy 75-51
32) I guess we can’t win everything…
33) Wait….we can’t win everything?
34) I would hate to cheer for a team who thought they should win everything
36) I had a very interesting text convo today:
37) Me: What’s up man….Yall gonna get much snow?
38) Anonymous: We may have been swept by a non tourney team but you all got swept by a bubble team.
39) Me: What? You must have got your convos mixed up, I asked about the weather
40) Anonymous: Memphis won’t even make the NCAA Tourney
41) Me: So that’s a no on the snow?
42) Needless to say reality escapes some people….FYI this is the same guy who texted me after I tweeted out great win by UL tonight after the Temple game and said “Must suck to celebrate beating a team that has less than 12 wins” yeah karma sucks bro
43) I still refuse to treat him the way he treats me because I have friends and family who are rational that do cheer for uk and any statement I made would bunch them into that group
44) Speaking of one of my friends
47) I have it on good authority Corey used that same razor later in the evening
48) The new Women’s Basketball AP Poll came out today and the Cards remained steady at #3 (full poll here)
49) The Women have a huge Basketball game tonight vs #1 UConn. Good luck to the Women’s Basketball team. The score is currently 43-31 at the half
50) The Men’s AP Poll come out today and the Cards drop to 11 (full poll here)
51) The Men’s coaches Poll come out today and the Cards fell to 9 (full poll here)
52) Don’t forget to tune into the hottest Louisville sports show on the radio @TalkinNOIZ serving it up live from the Wendy’s studios. Hosted by Lloyd Spence, TalkinNOIZ comes on from 12:06-1 on 1080 am on the radio or access it from your iHeart app. CSZ’s own Steve Rummage is on every Monday and Thursday and the rest of us sprinkle in from time to time.
53) Russ is attacking the record books at UofL read the full story here
54) If the AAC Tourney started today, Steve shows us what that would look like here
55) Next week I will have much, much more….Thanks for all your prayers and concerns regarding my mom.
You can find the previous 15 Episodes of 55 by typing 55 in the CardinalSportszone.com search bar and clicking search
P.S.-Old Chicago Pizza is awesome!
P.S.S.-Congrats to my guy Raashaan on killing it on his road to completing his goals
P.S.S.S.S.- Everytime I feel down about Memphis I just go back to this….
Works every time….
Shoni Schimmel talks about her final season here
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
This week…..on 55…..
In honor of the huge win yesterday vs #7 Cincy I thought I would go Throwback on you guys and honor one of my favorite 55′s (I can’t think of one other) Joseph N’Sima. This week on 55 is a little different as we have a guest writer. @LarleesWorld won the very first #First15 contest. I really hope you guys like the concept and if you don’t its all @LarleesWorld’s fault. That makes me feel better. This week we talk about big wins across the board for UofL Athletics. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
The first 15 lines are brought to you buy @LarleesWorld….give him a follow on Twitter
1) What an honor to be the first honorary participant in the writing of the ”first 15.” Thanks Jeremy!
*Editors note…I did NOT pay him to say that
P.S.- Where do I send the totally unrelated electronic funds transfer
2) Giving credit where credit is do, Jeff Walz and the Cards. Are they not a special team? A certain guard hits 2,000 points, and the recruiting success continues.
3) One of my favorite plays in a long time happened this week. Terry Rozier’s fake behind the back, wow. Brought back memories of LaBradford Smith…we have come so far!!
4) Some key football decommits, followed by a flurry of offers by Petrino and staff.
5) USA! USA! USA! The women’s and men’s hockey games are still bothering me.
6) Cardinal Baseball has started, with some great wins. If you haven’t been to a game, go soon. Nothing more fun, and affordable, than Cardinal Baseball.
7) We played Cincy on Saturday, I can’t put into words how badly I wanted to beat them..and we did!
8) If you shaved this week, stop reading now. #NoShaveTilDallas
9) I emailed Jeremy so I had proof I called the win against Cincy…Haters.
10) Montrezl Harrell decided Cincy wasn’t going to push him around again. He played like a man against the Bearcats…what a win.
11) Terry Rozier…enough said.
12) Russ Smith…you have to love the kid. This team in general showed some heart in Saturday’s game…bring on March. #RiseAndRepeat
15) Been a pleasure writing the first 15, maybe I can do it again someday.
Follow me at @LarleesWorld, shameless self plug… GO CARDS!!!!!!
Read the rest of this entry
Here is the new AP Poll:
|AP Top 25|
|13||North Carolina State||23-5||423|
- Others receiving votes: LSU 35, Dayton 23, Chattanooga 16, Bowling Green 14, DePaul 13, James Madison 12, St. John’s 10, Oregon State 8, Brigham Young 6, Vanderbilt 5, Syracuse 4, UTEP 2, Georgia Tech 1
- Dropped from rankings: LSU 19, St. John’s 22
|1. Florida (47)||25-2||1,606||2|
|2. Wichita St. (14)||29-0||1,549||3|
|3. Arizona (4)||25-2||1,494||4|
|10. Saint Louis||25-2||1,047||10|
|13. San Diego St.||23-3||886||6|
|15. Iowa St.||21-5||709||17|
|18. Michigan St.||22-6||552||13|
|22. Ohio St.||22-6||253||24|
|25. New Mexico||21-5||113||-|
|Others receiving votes: UConn 81, UCLA 41, Oklahoma 35,|
|Stephen F. Austin 11, UMass 9, Gonzaga 2, Green Bay 2,|
|NC Central 1|
CardNation, Sydney Brackemyre needs you! Voting is open for the Ohio National Guard Girls Basketball Player of the Year Award. Our own Sydney is in the running for this prestigious award decided by fan vote. You can vote as many times as you like and voting is open until 4 p.m. on March 16. Get out there and do what you do guys…vote….vote….vote!
Follow Sydney on Twitter at
*Sydney Brackemyre, Clinton-Massie, SR
Rebounded from an ACL injury that ended her junior season prematurely to excel as a senior. Headed to Louisville, Brackemyre surpassed 1,000-career points with 23 in a win over Waterford at the Pickerington Shootout. Called the best D-II player in Ohio by the Dabbelt Report and named one of Ohio’s Top 25 seniors by the OGBR. Averaging 15 points and eight rebounds.
A few things that happened around CardNation today:
- #7 Louisville baseball team took the field for their home opener, routing EKU 13-1. Lucas (Louisville, Ky.) finished 2-for-4 at the plate with a career best 4 RBI and his second career home run, while Crain (Lexington, Ky.) knocked in a career best three runs with his second career homer. Senior third baseman Alex Chittenden (Indianapolis, Ind.) added two hits, two RBI and scored once while senior outfielder Jeff Gardner (Louisville, Ky.) was 2-for-3 with a RBI and a run scored.
-Day one of the very first AAC Swimming and Diving Championships at the Ralph Wright Natatorium have come to a close. The University of Louisville women are sitting in first and the men are third.The women lead 122 followed by UConn (101), Rutgers (83), SMU (72), Houston (66), Cincinnati 65. The men are led by SMU (131), UConn (105), Louisville (103) and Cincinnati (82).
-Shoni Schimmel just keep s amazing CardNation and setting records, tonight was no different. Schimmel had 15 points to top 2,000 for her career in the Cardinals’ 81-62 victory over Houston on Wednesday night. Schimmel is second place on (2,004) the all-time scorers list behind Angel McCoughtry (2,779). Sara Hammond added 17 points for Louisville (26-2, 14-1 AAC) in the victory. the Cards improve to 16-0 at home this season.
This week…..on 55…..
In honor of MY beloved Steelers hiring former Steeler great Joey Porter…and because I couldn’t find any new 55 pics…I have dedicated the title pic to you Joey Porter. Congrats! On the job not being the header on 55, or both, whatever. This week on 55 we discuss long layoffs, an all seeing being in CardNation and much, much more. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) We shall start off this week with a little Football talk. Tae Thibodeaux signed with UofL on Wednesday. The 6’1 267 pound Defensive Tackle is a much needed addition to the 2014 recruiting class. Read more here
2) Also this past weekend the Cards had a ton of visitors. Headed by David Moala, Pio Vatuvei for officials and Emmitt Smith and compamy here for junior day. Read more about Pio and Moala here
3) It was announced that all of the Spring practices will be open to the public leading up to the annual Spring game on April 11. Here is the full schedule:
4) Henry Famurewa Tweeted this out on Saturday:
5) Straight Fire………..
6) On to Basketball
7) “This has been the longest wait ever between games! At least we get to play tomorrow.”
8) “No we don’t”
10) Snowmageddon, patent pending, probably not, pushed UofL’s game vs storied rival Temple over to Friday night AKA Valentines Day. No worries as the Cards dispatched their rivals 82-58. Montrezl Harrell had a career high 22 points and with his 6 dunks, pulled within one dunk of the single season dunk record set by Chane Behanan. Surely he would shatter that vs Rutgers….
12) Because he would only get one dunk Sunday night vs storied rival Rutgers during a 102-54 stomping of Rutgers at home in the YUM! Lead by Luke Hancock’s 25 points (6 threes), Rozier’s 4 threes which led to an overall season high 16 3 point baskets made, it gave very few opportunities for Trezl to be Trezl. Worry not as the very next dunk breaks the record.
13) Also evidentally ESPN likes to call every team we play a storied rival
|USA Today Coaches Poll|
|7||San Diego State||22-2||591|
- Others receiving votes: Oklahoma 31, North Carolina 22, Kansas State 19, Pittsburgh 17, Southern Methodist 7, Stephen F. Austin 7, New Mexico 6, Arizona State 6, West Virginia 2, Louisiana Tech 2, California 1, Nebraska 1, Virginia Commonwealth 1
- Dropped from rankings: Pittsburgh 23, Oklahoma 25
|AP Top 25|
|14||North Carolina State||22-4||448|
- Others receiving votes: Middle Tennessee 53, Wichita State 23, Vanderbilt 21, Iowa 19, DePaul 17, Chattanooga 9, Bowling Green 8, James Madison 8, Georgia Tech 5, Brigham Young 2, Dayton 1, Florida 1
- Dropped from rankings: Vanderbilt 16
|AP Top 25|
|6||San Diego State||22-2||1,232|
- Others receiving votes: North Carolina 54, Arizona State 45, Southern Methodist 21, Pittsburgh 21, Stephen F. Austin 8, Oklahoma 7, New Mexico 3, Virginia Commonwealth 2, Green Bay 1, Kansas State 1, Louisiana Tech 1
- Dropped from rankings: Southern Methodist 23, Pittsburgh 25
As seen in Mondays episode of 55 (click here), cheap pop, I announced a contest for the loyal, faithful and beautiful followers of the journey, nay the odyssey I call 55…That comes out every Monday at 7:55 on CardinalSportsZone.com or I tweet it out on Twitter at @Jeremy_CSZ. (Getting really good at cheap pops) DM me on Twitter, Private message me on Facebook or just comment on this story the hashtag #First15. You will be put in a drawing to be able to write the first 15 bulletpoints of 55 this week. Only need to enter once and since I will be doing these drawings the third Sunday of each month, everyone will have a chance to take part in the phenomenon called 55. Ok, sometimes I get carried away. Just thought this would be cool to give you guys something back for supporting the site and our work. If you have to ask me what is 55, CSZ or who I am you will probably get disqualified. Just kidding….not really.
This week…..on 55…..
We talk 2014 Football signing class, emoticons and emoji, The valiant effort of the Women’s Basketball team (Not Lady Cards, been trying to spread the word coach) to a surprise for the loyal readers of 55, and so much more. Here’s a little backstory on this week’s 55 pic. The above picture is a speed limit sign from the frigid snow engulfed areas of Northern Wisconsin. Their motto is drive under 55 and you may stay alive. I wish I was kidding, I am not at all. We are doing our next #CardFam Lunch this Sunday at noon at BW3′s on Dixie, all are welcome, just DM me and let me know for head count purposes. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55
1) I am starting a promotion for my loyal and wonderful supporters of the #55movement (Just made that up). Starting next Monday I will let you guys write a portion of 55. Just tweet me #First15 and I will let you write the first 15 lines of 55. It’s that simple. Shoutout to @TurtleBITW for getting my brain turning and coming up with this idea. Everyone will get to do it. I will randomize the order. That easy.
3) I did NOT get the idea from this book
4) Speaking of
5) I posed a question on Twitter last night about whether or not dudes should send other dudes smiley faces or tongue sticking out faces or emojis or emoticons in general. I said RT for Yes and Fav for No. I had a few speak on it instead of following Twitter survey etiquette but here is the question and results.
7) No RT and all favorites…
9) Haha indeed
10) I had a friend tell me I needed emoji for dummies….But “he” uses them and knew the name of the book….
12) Moving forward
13) Today Greg Brown, an NFL coaching veteran and former collegiate defensive coordinator, has joined the University of Louisville football’s coaching staff as the safeties coach and recruiting coordinator. Brown spent 15 years in the NFL before going to Alabama in 2013 as secondary coach under Nick Saban.
14) Kelsi Jones was named the inaugural AAC Player of the Week as UofL Softball started the season with a tough 3-2 record on the weekend. It doesn’t get any easier this weekend heading to Jacksonville with games against #17 Mizzou, #36 Notre Dame & #39 North Carolina. Good Luck girls!
15) On Sunday the Women’s Tennis team annihilated Conference foe Cincy 7-0 at home. The Cards are on a 3 match winning streak and will head to Wisconsin Friday.
|AP Top 25|
|10||North Carolina State||21-3||541|
- Others receiving votes: Middle Tennessee 32, Rutgers 31, Wichita State 29, Iowa 14, Texas 12, Oklahoma 12, Chattanooga 10, DePaul 9, Bowling Green 5, Florida State 5, Florida 3, Georgia Tech 3, James Madison 3, Michigan 2, Syracuse 1
- Dropped from rankings: Middle Tennessee 21
|AP Top 25|
|5||San Diego State||21-1||1,373|
- Others receiving votes: Oklahoma 99, Gonzaga 44, UCLA 43, New Mexico 23, Oklahoma State 10, George Washington 6, Southern Miss 6, Stephen F. Austin 3, Kansas State 1, North Carolina 1, Arizona State 1
- Dropped from rankings: Oklahoma State 19, Oklahoma 21, Gonzaga 23
This week…..on 55…..
Additions, Subtractions, Super Bowl & JC Penneys? Yeah I try to cover it all. From people going crazy on me to signing day to the omission of a certain someone, it’s here. A powerful and swift campaign swept twitter last Tuesday and you know what? It worked. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55
That is a pic of my Doss Jersey in case you were wondering, if you weren’t then I challenge your existence
2) Louisville First, Cards FOREVER….never forget
3) Hopefully some of the recruits out there who are still deciding pay attention to this
4) Speaking of recruits
5) Trumaine Washington
6) That’s how you show love guys! Click here for more on Trumaine
7) LuKayus Mcneil (click here for more)
Just committed to the university of Louisville. 🏈—
(@lukayus) February 02, 2014
8) Charles Standberry (click here for more) No tweets from today
9) Quincy McKinney
10) So for all of you guys that doubted coach P, we just jumped up into the top 35-40 when some of ya’ll said we would be 70th
12) I tried to tell them Shaq
A lot of are down today because of the loss yesterday. It happens. Well cheer up. We have the same record we had last year at this time and are ranked the exact same as we were. Is that me saying I feel like we are a definite Title game team? No, but I am saying don’t lose hope. I looked to the internet for some pick me ups and I ran into Russ Smith. Here is what he said:
That helped a lot. I then wondered…where would we be without Russ. What would we have done had he left. I am glad he had these things to say.
Following a 2013 season that saw the program’s 10th consecutive NCAA Regional appearance, the No. 19/18 Louisville Cardinals top the 2014 American Athletic Conference Softball Preseason Coaches’ Poll, as selected by the conference’s eight head coaches.
Louisville received six of seven possible first place votes for 48 total points to take the honor. The Cardinals are coming off an impressive 2013 season, which saw the program post a 47-13 overall record and an 18-4 conference mark in the former Big East. Despite finishing third in the Big East in the regular season and falling to eventual champion USF in the Big East Championship semifinals, Louisville earned an at-large selection to the 2013 NCAA Tournament and home field advantage in the Regional round. The 2014 Cardinal squad will feature eight letterwinners and six starters returning, including senior and 2013 NFCA Second Team All-American second baseman Katie Keller. Four other seniors and Big East award winners, pitchers Rachel LeCoq and Caralisa Connell, outfielder Hannah Kiyohara and catcher Maggie Ruckenbrod, will join Keller in pursuit of an 11th straight NCAA bid, all of which have come under 14th-year head coach Sandy Pearsall.
No. 25/23 USF took the second-place slot in the Preseason Poll, picking up one first place vote and 44 overall points. The reigning Big East Champions, the Bulls earned their first-ever conference championship last season and advanced to their second-straight NCAA Tournament, which marked the 11th appearance in program history. Head coach Ken Eriksen became the all-time winningest coach in any sport in USF history last season, leading his Bulls to a 45-16 record (18-3 Big East). USF has a wealth of talent returning for 2014, including NFCA Third Team All-American pitcher Sara Nevins, who posted a 1.20 ERA last season. 2013′s top hitter, Kourtney Salvarola, and NFCA All-Regional selection Stephanie Medina will anchor USF as seniors at shortstop and first base, respectively.
2014 American Athletic Conference Preseason Coaches’ Poll
|School (First Place Votes)||Points|
|1. Louisville (6)||48|
|2. USF (1)||44|
LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The Louisville baseball team was ranked 13th in the USA Today preseason Top 25 coaches’ poll released on Wednesday afternoon.
Wednesday’s poll marked the Cardinals’ fourth top 20 preseason ranking in 2014. Earlier this week, Louisville was ranked 16th by Perfect Game and 20th by Baseball America, while last month, the Cardinals were tabbed eighth by Collegiate Baseball newspaper. The Cardinals have earned preseason top 25 rankings in seven straight seasons under the direction of head coach Dan McDonnell.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Single game tickets for four of the six remaining University of Louisville men’s basketball home games in the KFC Yum! Center are now available at a special price. Two games — the Cardinals’ next game on Thursday against Cincinnati and home finale against Connecticut on March 8 — are sold out.
Thursday’s game against Cincinnati has been labeled as “Throwback Thursday,” with fans encouraged to wear their vintage gear to the game. UofL is celebrating its 100th season of collegiate basketball competition this year.
Tickets for two of the Cardinals’ next three home games — Feb. 1 vs. UCF and Feb. 16 vs. Rutgers — are now on sale for $18 each for the limited number that remains available. Tickets for home games on Feb. 18 vs. USF and Feb. 27 vs. Temple are available for $15 each.
Tickets, which are located in the upper corners and end court areas of the KFC Yum! Center, are on sale at the UofL Ticket Office, located near Gate 2 of Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium at 2800 South Floyd Street. The ticket office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m.
Cardinal fans may also purchase tickets by visiting Ticketmaster online, calling 1-800-745-3000 or by visiting any Ticketmaster Ticket Center, including statewide Kroger locations. Convenience fees are applied with Ticketmaster orders.