Category Archives: Cardinal Athletics
This week on 55…………
We talk Kyle Bolin…yes Kyle Bolin. Basketball gears up for a big showdown with Ohio State. This week in Cardinal Athletics brings us to the end of another season and find out who made the All ACC teams in football. So without further adieu, get ready for the ride. Without further interruption, here are the things from this week that stood out to me the most. The most ridiculous, interesting and factual things I came across. This is the Mid-Season Finale of 55……….
I hope you enjoy this photo gallery that I put together….Go Cards!
This week on 55…………
We talk Basketball watch party. We talk big win over Notre Dame. We talk ranked teams and end of seasons. I will share a story of my trip to Notre Dame, a gallery of the trip and more tidbits as we go. We talk kentucky football and much, much more. So without further adieu, get ready for the ride. Without further interruption, here are the things from this week that stood out to me the most. The most ridiculous, interesting and factual things I came across. This is 55……….
Where do I start? This is going to be one of the hardest posts I’ve ever had to write. Not because it’s difficult…but because there is so darn much to include. I am going to give it a shot. I will be including a full gallery of my own later today or tomorrow but here is my journey through what was one of the most special and unique days of my life. Here is Notre Dame.
We got up about 7 a.m. (not by choice, thanks snoring Chris) and got some breakfast and started our trek to the holy grail of College Football. If you have never been to a game at Notre Dame, be sure you get there the next time we play there. Magnificent. Immediately myself, Steve, Chris and Joey were in awe at the sights and sounds of South Bend. “Welcome to Notre Dame” began to be a song lyric that just is repeated over and over and over again. “Have fun but not once the game starts” quipped one of the security guards. We spent about 20 minutes exchanging stories and pleasantries once we got to the gates at 10 a.m. We ran into their mascot who insisted we take a picture.
We then went to check out the beautiful Basilica of the Sacred Heart on campus.
Here are this weeks Top 25 Polls with Louisville checking into both after a great win over ND!
|AP Top 25|
|1||Florida State (37)||11-0||1458|
- Dropped from rankings: Utah 20, Nebraska 21, USC 24, Duke 25
This week on 55………………..
We talk Notre Dame, Basketball’s Opening game and how did your favorite Card teams do in their respective tournaments? Injuries, returns, and a return from suspension?. The first #55Guest writer is displayed and I’m already sorry I gave him the floor. I was wrong about P.J. Dozier, as was every one else since we all got intel from his camp. lol. So get ready for the ride. Without further interruption, here are the things from this week that stand out to me the most. The most ridiculous, interesting and factual things I came across. This is 55……….
This week on 55………………..
We talk big win at Boston College, Basketball looking much improved, Field Hockey gets a NCAA berth. Devante and Gerod take aim at the record books for the NCAA,UL & ACC. Injuries, returns, and a disgruntled player or two. The first #55Guest writer is announced and predictions on P.J. Dozier. So get ready for the ride. Without further interruption, here are the things from this week that stand out to me the most. The most ridiculous, interesting and factual things I came across. This is 55……….
Just a few press releases I wanted to catch you guys up on but mostly so I don’t have to post 3 different ones. lol. Here we go:
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – University of Louisville women’s basketball head coach Jeff Walz’s radio show, airing throughout the season from Chili’s Grill & Bar locations in the Louisville area, is scheduled to begin on Nov. 12. Presented by Chili’s Grill & Bar, the first seven shows take place at the restaurant’s Brownsboro Crossing location (9720 Von Allmen Court), and the final five will be held at the Hikes Lane establishment (3623 Bardstown Road). All shows run from 7-8 p.m. Louisville’s mascot, Louie the Cardinal, will be making appearances at Chili’s Grill & Bar for four selected shows: Nov. 18, Jan. 20, Feb. 4, and Feb. 24. No reservations will be taken at either location. All seating is first come, first served, starting at 5:30 p.m. on the day of the show. Matt Andrews, Louisville women’s basketball’s play-by-play voice, will host the show and discuss with Walz recent games and the upcoming slate. For fans unable to attend, ESPN Radio 680 will carry each show as well as stream it online through ESPNLouisville.com. It also can be heard through CardsTV on GoCards.com. Fans are encouraged to call and participate in the show at (502) 267-9680.
I was talking to a buddy of mine earlier about Louisville football. I use to play, he used to play. We were talking about a conversation we had before the season when were talking about Devante Parker beating Ibn Greens Career TD record of 33. I said he would and my friend joked, not if he gets hurt. The day I found out that DP got hurt I called up said friend and cursed him out. Well, not cursed but I talked very loud. Calm down a little, I know he wasn’t to blame. Maybe a little. I digress. We were all sure Devante would break records and I still believe he will. I was talking to another friend tonight who brought up a great point. Devante has the opportunity to reach 1000 yards receiving this year despite missing 7 games. 7 GAMES! He currently has 17 catches for 346 yards or an average of 173 a game. He needs 654 yards or an average of 163.5 yards per game. It sounds outlandish but if anyone can do it, its Devante AKA Spiderman. So my first question, will Devante Parker break Ibn Greens career TD record of 33? Devante has 28:
I’m interested in seeing what you guys think. Feel free to comment if you want to elaborate. whether he breaks these records or not he will still be one of the most revered Wide Receivers we have ever had. Good luck to the guys Saturday #BeatBostonCollege
This week on 55………………..
I am going to switch it up a little bit. After doing 55 for about a year now, I wanted to do something a little different. I know, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I just want to give this a try. Instead of bringing you 55 facts each week, I am going to write a column that I break down into 4 quarters. 1st Quarter: Football, 2nd Quarter: Basketball, 3rd Quarter: Cardinal Athletics, 4th Quarter: Our best stories and weeks best tid-bits that doesn’t fit into the first three-quarters. In weeks there are no Football games, I will make that week a quarter where one fan will be chosen to have a guest spot on 55 and discuss anything UofL. I feel like this will give 55 a fresh look and if you guys don’t like it let me know and I will go back. Like I said, I’m just looking for new ways to do the same thing and that’s entertain you. Wonder who will be the first fan columnist for the 11/17 Episode? Tweet me and hashtag #55GuestSpot. I will only pick out of these people. If you tweet me at @Jeremy_CSZ and say I want to but don’t include the hashtag #55GuestSpot then you are out of luck. Simple directions people…. Without further interruption, here are the things from this week that stand out to me the most. The most ridiculous,interesting and factual things I came across. This is 55……….
After my 3 mile walk to my car after a long day at the stadium, sipping tea was the only thing I could do without enduring any pain. My back, my feet, my heart….This was a new experience in more ways than one yesterday. I went out and tailgated with my guys Turtle (@TurtleBITW), Matt (@CoachBourbonUSA on Twitter) and Justin (@JustinRenck) from CardinalSportsZone.com (Cheap Plug). Me and Turts got to old Cardinal Stadium about noonish. Justin got there shortly after and he set up shop right next to THE Red Rage tailgate. A literal museum to all things Cardinal, The Red Rage is what most people would consider, the mecca of the Tailgate world. As seen on Wave3 Sunrise (Cheap plug for WAVE) those guys throw DOWN!!! They got there before 5am and partied the whole day. It was pretty awesome. Thanks to Lauren Jones from Wave3 for getting this together for those guys! Follow the Red Rage on Twitter at @TheRed_Rage so you know when and where to meet on game days!
The first AP Basketball poll of the season came out today and the Cards are sitting pretty at #8. With a great schedule this year the Cards will have plenty of opportunities to shine. The Cards play their first exhibition game of the season tomorrow vs Barry College at the KFC Yum! Center tomorrow at 12:30p. If you can’t watch the game live it will be broadcast on WAVE 3 TV.
|AP Top 25|
|16||San Diego St||31-5||560|
Below are transcripts of Montrezl and Wayne from the ACC Twitter Takeover
I told you guys last week that 55 would be on bye week this week. Not the usual 55, not the usual logo. I also said I would still bring you a little something this week so that you could get caught up on the week in Cardinal Athletics. The main reason you even read 55 every week. Ok, one of the main reasons, the other is because of my hard hitting journalistic….hahaha ok lets move on. Here’s what happened in Cardinal Athletics this week plus a few thoughts I had about Red-White, FSU and Charlyn Corral….this…is…55….kinda….
- For now, Jameis Winston will be a part of Thursday Nights epic showdown as #2 FSU heads to town to face YOUR Louisville Cardinals at PJCS. FSU will bring to town a 23 game winning streak, reigning Heisman trophy winner, the fact that they are the reigning and defending National Champions and oh yeah, the fact that they should be the #1 team in the land. It’s the #1 overall total Defense who gives up just 14.6 a game vs FSU’s Defense that gives up 21.6. They score about 37 a game and we put up about 31. It will be a tough game regardless but I am gonna go 34-31 on a John Wallace FG at 0:01. MADNESS ENSUES!!!!!
Tonight your 11th ranked Louisville’s Men’s Soccer team takes on Clemson at 7:30 at Mark & Cindy Lynn Stadium AKA Lynnsanity for Senior Night. The Cards are currently in a 3 way tie for 1st in the Atlantic with Clemson & then #2 Syracuse . The Cards defeated Syracuse 2-1 in OT on Friday October 17th. This has been an up and down year for the Cards despite being ranked at this time. They have went in and out of the top 25 all year due to inconsistent play. The Cards are good enough to make a deep run in the tourney and have proved that multiple times including the opener vs then #2 Maryland. Come out and support your Cards for their Senior night and help cheer them on to what could be the first ACC title for the Cards! The Cards only have 3 remaining games this season and after tonight only one more home game on Tuesday. Come support Ken Lolla and the Cards. Tonight’s game time is at 7:30. Go Cards!
Today Notre Dame announced its future scheduling concerning ACC opponents through 2025. It was revealed that even though we were expecting a 2017 visit to Papa Johns, that we will not host the Irish until 2019 in the opening game of the season. That makes up for it a little. It was also announced that we will head back to South Bend in 2020 and the Irish will head back to the oven in 2023. That sounds so far away but sadly it isn’t. The first meeting with the Irish however is this season in South Bend on the 22nd of November. Glad to hear we will keep them in a regular rotation.
This week on 55…..
We have a lot to talk about this week. NCST. Red-White Scrimmage, Anas, 2010 Wayne, Rozier, CJ and Trezl. UofL Field Hockey drops a game at home for the first time in 2 years. Soccer gets a top 2 win at home as well. Even a little High School Playoffs. So sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride. These are the 55 most intriguing, ridiculous or down right best or worst things I have heard this week. This…is….55
2) In spirit of a new thing I just started, I will fly the winning logo from the football game at slot #1. This week the Good guys won.
3) Louisville defeated NCST 30-18 on Saturday at the friendly confines of PJCS.
4) 2 people returned on Saturday, Devante Parker & a guy named Mike Dyer…I think that’s how you say it. Mike Dyer exploded for 173 yards and a TouchDown. Parker didn’t find the end zone but had 9 catches for a 132 yards. Yeah I thought that was a little rusty too.
5) On Offense Will threw for 203 yards and a TD. Eli Rogers caught that TD and 5 catches for 35 yards to go along with Parkers 9 for 132.
6) The defense looked a little rough this week but understand one thing, it is tough playing College Football with no breaks and the Cards get a much-needed bye week this upcoming week. The Cards still hold on to their #1 ranking on Total D. They held NCST to 18 points. A NCST team that put up 41 on the Seminoles, Louisville’s next test. James Sample had 11 tackles, Burgess had 8 and a sack. Rankins and Lozo added a sack each. Mr INT Gerod Holliman added another pick as time expired to extend his total to 8 on the season. Anthony Floyd holds the single season INT total with 10 his Sophomore year.
7) People keep getting down on this team but they must not remember most of our other coaches first years. It takes a year or so to get in Bobby’s players and for these players to learn his playbook after having 3 years with Strong’s playbook. Things will be OK and there is no need to jump off of a cliff. I think we expect everything to go right immediately since we have had a lot of success recently, It doesn’t always work that way.
8) Moving forward….
9) This weeks after story at the Football game wasn’t the win or the return, it was all of the empty seats. Players notice this, recruits notice it. If you can’t go to a game, give your tickets to someone who can. If they can afford it, cool. If they can’t give them to them. Get butts in seats. I have no problem with people leaving early during a blowout but these guys from NCST were down 4 with a few minutes left with a chance at an onside kick. UofL has a small part of the blame also with not restricting access to the Party Deck during the game. Make it a fully ticketed area so you can open up more seats for others to purchase. Let’s get this issue addressed CardNation. We are in a big time conference now headed towards being a big time program….let’s act like it.
11) Well, It was kinda like that…
This week on 55…..
Clemson, Clemson, Clemson. The time-out. How did our other programs do? Gary Barnidge, the Player??? We look this week at the remainder of the Football schedule and I will give my predictions and much, much more. So sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride. These are the 55 most intriguing, ridiculous or down right best or worst things I have heard this week. This…is….55
2) Out of respect for you I post your flag first this week. I was confident all week that with our defense we would have no problem defeated Clemson at Death Valley. I was wrong. The Cards lost 23-17 after a huge James Quick reception set us up with a 1 and 10 from the 5 yard line or so. Then this happened.
4) Well we lost and we should be very proud of this team. Without Will for the first half and with out Devante all game we almost pulled it off. Our Defense smothered the Tigers and held them to 9 offensive points when they scored 91 the prior 2 weeks combined.
5) Also for everyone ready to throw Bobby into the fire might I remind you of two things. One, Bobby has not been around these kids long. It does take a while to mesh with your team and get used to what they can do. Two we could have been kragthorped again. Be very thankful.
6) Always remember
8) Yeah….It’s not that bad now, is it? IS IT!!!!!
9) I digress
10) Let’s talk Defense. James Sample had 14 tackles and an INT, James Burgess had 11 tackles and an INT. Leading tackler on the season keith Kelsey added 8. The defense remains the #1 overall in total Defense.