Category Archives: Football
On Monday evening, the first ever College Football Playoff Rankings were revealed, and the Louisville Cardinals came in at #25. They aren’t ranked in either the AP or the USA Today Coaches Poll, but after tonight, those polls really don’t mean anything now. The College Football Playoff Rankings will determine who the top four teams are at the end of the season to play in the first ever playoff. These rankings are the ones that matter.
The Florida State Seminoles are #2 in the rankings. Future opponent Notre Dame is #10. I could find some satisfaction knocking some teams out of contention. And if that happens, no telling how far the Cards could climb in this thing.
Throughout the day on Monday, UofL fans were all over twitter giving their opinion on what should be the new song that plays on 3rd down during football games. Not sure why a change is needed, but that’s another story. Personally, for this Thursday’s showdown with Florida State, I was hoping for the theme music to “Halloween” on 3rd downs.
I told you guys last week that 55 would be on bye week this week. Not the usual 55, not the usual logo. I also said I would still bring you a little something this week so that you could get caught up on the week in Cardinal Athletics. The main reason you even read 55 every week. Ok, one of the main reasons, the other is because of my hard hitting journalistic….hahaha ok lets move on. Here’s what happened in Cardinal Athletics this week plus a few thoughts I had about Red-White, FSU and Charlyn Corral….this…is…55….kinda….
- For now, Jameis Winston will be a part of Thursday Nights epic showdown as #2 FSU heads to town to face YOUR Louisville Cardinals at PJCS. FSU will bring to town a 23 game winning streak, reigning Heisman trophy winner, the fact that they are the reigning and defending National Champions and oh yeah, the fact that they should be the #1 team in the land. It’s the #1 overall total Defense who gives up just 14.6 a game vs FSU’s Defense that gives up 21.6. They score about 37 a game and we put up about 31. It will be a tough game regardless but I am gonna go 34-31 on a John Wallace FG at 0:01. MADNESS ENSUES!!!!!
Thought this was cool. Thursday will be pretty exciting!
Here are the latest college football top 25 polls. It looks like when Florida State visits on Thursday, they will have that #2 ranking and not #1. If you look at the point totals, they are very close to being #1. It would have been nice to say the top ranked team was coming to town, but either way, it’s the same team. They are still the defending champions with the Heisman Trophy winner. Any national show you watch or listen to still says that their path to the College Football Playoff is the easiest because they don’t really play anybody.
Future Louisville opponent Notre Dame is still in the top 10, Clemson is still ranked, and fellow ACC member Duke is also ranked. The Cards come in at #30 in the AP Poll and #34 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.
The Cards are off this Saturday because of their game next Thursday against Florida State. There are still some other good games this weekend to pay attention to in the ACC division races. The Coastal is obviously all jumbled up as 1 game separates all 7 teams. Boston College needs to get back to their winning ways, so hosting Wake Forest should help that. Can Virginia get back on track against UNC and show that the first half of the season wasn’t a fluke?
And it will be good to see if Clemson can go on the road and play in a loud environment…
Today Notre Dame announced its future scheduling concerning ACC opponents through 2025. It was revealed that even though we were expecting a 2017 visit to Papa Johns, that we will not host the Irish until 2019 in the opening game of the season. That makes up for it a little. It was also announced that we will head back to South Bend in 2020 and the Irish will head back to the oven in 2023. That sounds so far away but sadly it isn’t. The first meeting with the Irish however is this season in South Bend on the 22nd of November. Glad to hear we will keep them in a regular rotation.
This week on 55…..
We have a lot to talk about this week. NCST. Red-White Scrimmage, Anas, 2010 Wayne, Rozier, CJ and Trezl. UofL Field Hockey drops a game at home for the first time in 2 years. Soccer gets a top 2 win at home as well. Even a little High School Playoffs. So sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride. These are the 55 most intriguing, ridiculous or down right best or worst things I have heard this week. This…is….55
2) In spirit of a new thing I just started, I will fly the winning logo from the football game at slot #1. This week the Good guys won.
3) Louisville defeated NCST 30-18 on Saturday at the friendly confines of PJCS.
4) 2 people returned on Saturday, Devante Parker & a guy named Mike Dyer…I think that’s how you say it. Mike Dyer exploded for 173 yards and a TouchDown. Parker didn’t find the end zone but had 9 catches for a 132 yards. Yeah I thought that was a little rusty too.
5) On Offense Will threw for 203 yards and a TD. Eli Rogers caught that TD and 5 catches for 35 yards to go along with Parkers 9 for 132.
6) The defense looked a little rough this week but understand one thing, it is tough playing College Football with no breaks and the Cards get a much-needed bye week this upcoming week. The Cards still hold on to their #1 ranking on Total D. They held NCST to 18 points. A NCST team that put up 41 on the Seminoles, Louisville’s next test. James Sample had 11 tackles, Burgess had 8 and a sack. Rankins and Lozo added a sack each. Mr INT Gerod Holliman added another pick as time expired to extend his total to 8 on the season. Anthony Floyd holds the single season INT total with 10 his Sophomore year.
7) People keep getting down on this team but they must not remember most of our other coaches first years. It takes a year or so to get in Bobby’s players and for these players to learn his playbook after having 3 years with Strong’s playbook. Things will be OK and there is no need to jump off of a cliff. I think we expect everything to go right immediately since we have had a lot of success recently, It doesn’t always work that way.
8) Moving forward….
9) This weeks after story at the Football game wasn’t the win or the return, it was all of the empty seats. Players notice this, recruits notice it. If you can’t go to a game, give your tickets to someone who can. If they can afford it, cool. If they can’t give them to them. Get butts in seats. I have no problem with people leaving early during a blowout but these guys from NCST were down 4 with a few minutes left with a chance at an onside kick. UofL has a small part of the blame also with not restricting access to the Party Deck during the game. Make it a fully ticketed area so you can open up more seats for others to purchase. Let’s get this issue addressed CardNation. We are in a big time conference now headed towards being a big time program….let’s act like it.
11) Well, It was kinda like that…
It sure was good to have DeVante back. To keep it simple: he changes everything!
Week 8 for the ACC got started on Thursday night as Pittsburgh beat Virginia Tech 21-16 in a Coastal matchup. Obviously, the biggest game involving an ACC team is not a conference game, and that is Florida State vs Notre Dame. Other than that, there are still some good games that should put some separation between teams in the conference. Here is the schedule, followed by the standings.
Pittsburgh (4-3, 2-1) def Virginia Tech (4-3, 1-2) 21-16.
I posted this morning that Corvin Lamb was having some kind of surgery, but wasn’t sure what. UofL has confirmed that it was, in fact, for a torn ACL. Lamb will miss the rest of the season. It is not the same knee that he injured last season.
Former Louisville running back Senorise Perry, who is now with the Chicago Bears, had an interesting tweet on Tuesday night. He wished Corvin Lamb luck with his surgery. We know that Lamb left the Clemson game with a lower body injury, but that was all that was really said. At least to my knowledge (at 8 a.m. on Wednesday morning), it hasn’t been said what exactly happened to Lamb.
Bobby Petrino and Will Gardner met with the media on Monday afternoon to recap the loss at Clemson and preview the upcoming game against NC State. The videos are from thecrunchzone.com.
When NC State takes the field on Saturday against the Louisville Cardinals, they will do so without 7 players who were just suspended because of a BB gun incident. Two of the seven are starters on defense (Fernandez and Jones). Here are the rest of the players and their stats this season…
LB Jerod Fernandez – 58 tackles (24 solo) and 2 INT. Team’s leading tackler
S Josh Jones – 38 tackles (28 solo) with 1 sack and 1 INT
This week on 55…..
Clemson, Clemson, Clemson. The time-out. How did our other programs do? Gary Barnidge, the Player??? We look this week at the remainder of the Football schedule and I will give my predictions and much, much more. So sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride. These are the 55 most intriguing, ridiculous or down right best or worst things I have heard this week. This…is….55
2) Out of respect for you I post your flag first this week. I was confident all week that with our defense we would have no problem defeated Clemson at Death Valley. I was wrong. The Cards lost 23-17 after a huge James Quick reception set us up with a 1 and 10 from the 5 yard line or so. Then this happened.
4) Well we lost and we should be very proud of this team. Without Will for the first half and with out Devante all game we almost pulled it off. Our Defense smothered the Tigers and held them to 9 offensive points when they scored 91 the prior 2 weeks combined.
5) Also for everyone ready to throw Bobby into the fire might I remind you of two things. One, Bobby has not been around these kids long. It does take a while to mesh with your team and get used to what they can do. Two we could have been kragthorped again. Be very thankful.
6) Always remember
8) Yeah….It’s not that bad now, is it? IS IT!!!!!
9) I digress
10) Let’s talk Defense. James Sample had 14 tackles and an INT, James Burgess had 11 tackles and an INT. Leading tackler on the season keith Kelsey added 8. The defense remains the #1 overall in total Defense.
Now that a few hours have passed since the game ended, I feel like sitting down to write about it. I have gotten much better over the years as to how I take losses. I do realize that I have no impact on the game whatsoever, and it is just that, a game. It is entertainment and a distraction from everyday life and real problems. So realizing that helps move on from losses. However, getting back to being the huge fan that I am, this one hurt!
In every game, there are good things and bad things that happen. This game seemed to be full of both. I would normally get on here and write about how things are just fine and this team will be ok, and no worries. That is just how I am now, Mr. Optimistic. The proof of that is that a few minutes after the game ended, a text came in that started with “I know you are the positive fan but…”
But I won’t be 100% positive talk here. I will address the problems that stuck out to me, no need to hide from them. So I will look at things from both sides. And since I am the positive one, I would prefer to end my post on the good things, so let’s go ahead and get the bad stuff out of the way. Before my negativity starts, just know that I still 100% support this team, including coaches and players. I love my Cards and one halfway critical post does not change that.
Here is the schedule of games today in the ACC. Obviously, Louisville at Clemson is the game of the week, but there are some other good games as well.
Syracuse (2-3, 0-1) vs (1) Florida State (5-0, 3-0) 12:00 ESPN
Miami (3-3, 1-2) vs Cincinnati (2-2, 0-1) 12:00 GamePlan/ESPN3