Now that a few hours have passed since the game ended, I feel like sitting down to write about it. I have gotten much better over the years as to how I take losses. I do realize that I have no impact on the game whatsoever, and it is just that, a game. It is entertainment and a distraction from everyday life and real problems. So realizing that helps move on from losses. However, getting back to being the huge fan that I am, this one hurt!
In every game, there are good things and bad things that happen. This game seemed to be full of both. I would normally get on here and write about how things are just fine and this team will be ok, and no worries. That is just how I am now, Mr. Optimistic. The proof of that is that a few minutes after the game ended, a text came in that started with “I know you are the positive fan but…”
But I won’t be 100% positive talk here. I will address the problems that stuck out to me, no need to hide from them. So I will look at things from both sides. And since I am the positive one, I would prefer to end my post on the good things, so let’s go ahead and get the bad stuff out of the way. Before my negativity starts, just know that I still 100% support this team, including coaches and players. I love my Cards and one halfway critical post does not change that.
Bobby Petrino met with the media on Monday to talk about the upcoming game against Wake Forest. He also recapped the FIU game and gave updates on Will Gardner and L.J. Scott. James Quick and Pio Vatuvei also spoke for a few minutes. These videos are from thecrunchzone.com.
This week on 55……….
We talk Cardinal Camo…….YES…..Cardinal Camo. We go over huge upsets and letdown. We go over the wet, wet, win in South Florida and a slew of other great but random things that have happened this week. Glad to have 55 back for you guys after the hiatus last week. Without further adieu, here are the 55 greatest, most ridiculous or random things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom a speedy recovery. She means the world to me and normally I don’t talk about personal issues on 55 but if you get a moment, say a prayer. I put her for #1 because she is my number 1….mushy I know (Don’t care)
2) Speaking of #1’s
4) On that shot by Becca Maddock, the #14 University of Louisville Field Hockey team defeated #1 UNC 3-2 Saturday. Congratulations for defending Trager!
5) Will be interesting to see where the Cards will be ranked when the new polls come out tomorrow…..
6) I got a tip a few weeks ago that we would be unveiling a new uni combo vs FSU in football. Me and Steve went through all the possible combos and ideas we could think of but nothing…..and the 55 means NOTHING could prepare us for this…………………….
8) First off, I’m sorry for referring to myself as the 55. Secondly may I say……….WOW! Here are a few more pics Adidas released this morning
10) Thank you Adidas for everything you do for us……
11) On Saturday the Football Cards defeated FIU 34-3 despite QB Will Gardner leaving the game with injury. The Cards O-Line looked very sloppy but this game was played on a sloppy field. The Cards line will have to improve if we want to have any shot at the big boys on our schedule.
12) A few highlights of the FIU game were Gerod Holliman taking the lead in INT’s in the country with 2 including this:
14) Once only thought of as a heavy hitter, Holliman has shown an evolution into a complete corner this year. It’s been a long time coming!
15) Also James Quick had this amazing catch:
17) Quick finished the day with 174 yards and 2 TD’s. Quick scored those 2 TD’s within :45 seconds. Amazing!
18) Also Keith Kelsey continued to impress after a 4 tackle day that included a sack for a 24 yard loss
19) I still think this should have counted
21) Oh well….I am sure we will plenty of Keith Kelsey highlights this season
22) It still should have counted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23) Moving on….
24) Speaking of our beloved Football Cardinals, UL is a 21 point favorite this week vs Wake Forest
25) I didn’t notice it during the Virginia game but did anyone else see Burgess hit their RB so hard his sweat exploded?
26) I wish I could’ve found that video….I tried but it kept taking me to clips that made me sad
27) I want to send out my condolences to the Bonnafon family since I was unable to last week…
28) When Reggie comes back there is no doubt in my mind that he will be starting for the time being. He is a tremendous talent and will thrive in Coach Petrino’s system. If that O line doesn’t improve we could put Jameis back there and it wouldn’t matter
29) Jameis get off that table! never mind….you know what I’m saying though
31) Ahhhhhh……….he stiff-armed him right in the….helmet
32) Glad we don’t have any more distractions like that at UL anymore (Insert Chane Smiley face)
33) On a different note, This weekend CSZ surpassed the 1 Million view mark lifetime. We want to thank each and every one of you for supporting this little thing we do. On my part I would like to say we were blessed to have such an amazing team. I want to thank Justin and Steve for everything they do let them know I appreciate them and we are lucky to have such a great team. We have some great Part timers too…Shout out to the princess of CSZ and her hat, Daryl Foust
34) Yesterday Matt Cassel broke some bones in his foot or something which prompted the Minnesota Vikings head coach to name him the starter going forward! Congrats to Teddy time and here’s hoping you show them what you showed us at the Ville!
36) Great, great moment….Class Act right there
37) Lets go to the week in review for Cardinal Athletics!
38) Women’s Golf won the Cardinal Cup on Tuesday! great start to the season by the ladies. Emily Haas finished the day at -1 for a 4th place finish overall. The Women travel to Colorado for the GolfWeek Challenge which starts today
39) The Men’s golf team helped take the victory for the ACC in the ACC/SEC challenge. The Cards did fall to Georgia in match play but J.D. Lehman and Robin Sciot-Siegrist picked up singles victories. The team is off until next Monday
40) Louisville Volleyball traveled to Texas for the Rice Invitational this past weekend. The Cards did not drop one set the entire weekend (3-0) and improved to 8-4 overall. Janelle Jenkins, Maya McClendon and Tess Clark were named to the All Tourney team with Jenkins landing MVP honors.
42) The Cards kick off their ACC Conference slate at home with games Friday vs BC at 7p and Sunday vs Georgia Tech at 2p. Get out and support our Cards!
43) The #9 Men’s Soccer team had a tough battle this week as they traveled to BC and escaped with a 3-2 victory in OT. Nolan Moore hit the game winner. The Cards travel to Lexington Tuesday for a game vs uk. I wish I was making this up but uk is holding an ABE-Out…..This will explain it all. SMH
46) Trying to move past that, the Cards host PITT on Friday at the LYNN……
47) Women’s Soccer went 2-0 this week at home after wins over Kent State and Syracuse! This week they will travel to FSU and Miami…. I suddenly hate them
48) From GoCards.com: University of Louisville junior Jeffrey Brown claimed the Indiana University Hoosier Classic Singles title Sunday afternoon. Coach Rex Ecarma is doing a phenominal job, Here are the full results
Louisville Men’s Tennis Results
IU Hoosier Classic
Sept. 21, 2014
Jeffrey Brown (UL) d. Matthew McCoy (IU) 7-6, 6-4
Brown d. Carsten fisher 6-4, 6-3
Santiago Salazar (UL) d. Baseem Mekawi (YSU) 6-4, 7-6
Courtney Lock (UL) d. Freddy Abunku (Xavier) 6-3,6-3
Remi Chancerel (Youngstown State) d. Pally Ray (UL) 6-3, 6-0
49) Other than knocking off little ol #1 UNC, the Filed Hockey team was in chill mode last week. This week they have 3 games! They host Ohio State tomorrow then travel to Wake on Friday then will play at Liberty on Sunday
Good job girls…good job!
50) Guessing with the de-commitment from Blakeney that the CSZ recruiting notebook will make a return soon…IMO it’s Dozier or bust for the last slot in this class. Here’s what Steve thinks..
51) Looks like the PGA is going to have a nice pair of Cards in the mix….I’m sorry for the pun
52) Gorgui Deing is predicted to have a breakout year this year in the NBA because….well because he’s great and our Gorgui!
54) Jeff Walz is on fire as if I even needed to tell you. Check out his loaded class here and let me know who you want to see as the final piece. Tweet me at @Jeremy_CSZ and let your voice be heard! My vote is for Arike Ogunbowale….
55) Finally, Thank goodness that Brock Lesnar left the arena with the title last night and my Steelers smoked the Panthers. at least one little guy I know wasn’t too sad last night. I wont say any names though. Matt Wesley. Until next time CardNation, this was 55………
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
P.S.-Here are videos of the Men’s basketball coaches that are excellent, enjoy!
P.S.S.- here’s the Football Intro
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE
I must say that the ACC Digital Network is awesome. They put out some great videos very quickly after games. This one is a few highlights of James Quick from Saturday against FIU. The sophomore had 7 catches for 174 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also had 61 yards on punt returns, giving him 235 all-purpose yards.
Here are highlights from the Louisville-FIU game, along with videos of James Quick’s touchdown and Gerod Holliman’s pick six!
In a game that was overshadowed by a couple key injuries for UofL and an offense that still didn’t light the scoreboard up, there were a couple of positives that came from the performance from the Cards. One of those was James Quick, and the other was the defense.
Sophomore James Quick had himself a heck of a game with 7 catches for 174 yards (24.9 avg) and 2 touchdowns, his longest coming on a 74 yard reception. On that play, Quick went up and made a great catch and then had to do the rest by being just what his name says, quick. On the other touchdown, the defense just broke down and he was wide open. He still had to make a move once he caught the ball and he made a nice diving effort to get into the endzone.
Quick also added 61 yards on 7 punt returns for an average of 8.7 yards per return. So he ended up with 235 total yards. We all know what the potential is with Quick, as we saw him play here in town at Trinity High School. He is a flat out playmaker when he gets the ball out in space, and we saw flashes of that today. In an offense that is struggling and with DeVante Parker still out, having James Quick emerge could be a big boost to this team.
This is the first installment of The Stemmys. Every Wednesday I will put out my list of weekly awards given to those that have earned them. The amount and names of awards may differ each week but they are sure to be entertaining!
Mr. Truthful Award: Josh Shaw (USC CB)
Shaw is an on the field leader for the Trojans but his actions this week went even further. Shaw sprained both ankles while jumping in a pool to save his drowning nephew…..Wait what is that..
….Well this is awkward.
The “You have got to be kidding me?!” Award: The Miami Hurricanes
The Cards open up with the Miami Hurricanes this week and both teams are ready to play! The Cards look to start off in the ACC the right way and the Canes want revenge because they feel……………Disrespected? Miami claims that the Cards talked to much trash and tried to “run the score up”. Cry me a flipping river!!
So lets get this straight THE U, the team that has a 30 for 30 about how much they run their mouth is upset about big bad Louisville talking too much? This should tell you all you need to know haha. Looking forward to that blowout Monday.
Bobby Petrino spoke at media day on Saturday morning for about 40 minutes. He talked about how the team has looked in practice, who some play-makers are, how he makes his opening script for a game, and more. Here are some of the key things he talked about…
*Will Gardner – Petrino said that Gardner is doing a good job and that the staff is throwing a lot at him. He said that Will probably feels like he isn’t executing like he was in the Spring, and he isn’t, but it just takes time.
*Reggie Bonnafon – Petrino has done nothing but rave about the freshman from Trinity since he got to campus. From his athleticism to his ability to make plays, you can really tell that Petrino likes Reggie. This past week, Bonnafon moved up to the veterans practice, and Kyle Bolin moved to the newcomers practice. Petrino talked about Bonnafon’s ability to run and makes plays with his feet. He says he hasn’t had a guy who could do that since Stefan LeFors.
It’s getting to be that time where the national publications release their preseason college football polls. There will be many different ones of course. This one is from Lindy’s, who have the Cards at #31 on their countdown. I would expect this to be about where most magazines and other media outlets have the Cards, somewhere around that #25 mark. Many factors will contribute to that. Yes there is a lot of talent back, but the uncertainty of a new QB, replacing 3 first round NFL Draft picks, and everything you already know about.
Here is what Lindy’s says about the Cards in 2014…(They mention Robert Clark, but of course he has transferred to Samford.)
According to this article by Jeff Greer of the Courier-Journal, James Quick and Jason Hatcher were cited for possession of marijuana by UofL police on May 26 in Quick’s apartment. Quick is a sophomore wide receiver for the Cards and Hatcher is a sophomore defensive lineman for Kentucky. They were teammates at Trinity High School here in Louisville.
The following is from the article:
The officer who wrote the citation noted he found 39.5 grams of marijuana in Quick’s possession, plus a digital scale and a marijuana grinder, which prompted Quick’s citation for possession of drug paraphernalia.
Check out this tweet that came from Bobby Petrino’s account. If these times are right, then wow. That is just crazy. For a sport that puts so much stock into 40-yard dash times, these should make scouts (and fans) very happy for Louisville football!
The top time in this year’s NFL Combine was 4.26 set by Dri Archer, a running back from Kent State. The next best time was 4.33, so those 4.30s look pretty good! I think I am most impressed with DeVante Parker!
(AP Photo/Kevin Rivoli)
The Cards fell to UCF last night 38-35. The Offense was led by Teddy Bridgewater who finished 29-38 for 341 yards and 2 TD, Dominique Brown added 88 yards and 2 TD and James Quick got his first collegiate TD off of a 30 yard fumble recovery that took place on a UCF punt attempt. Devante and Eli were the 2 TD recipients. Preston Brown had 12 tackles and Calvin Pryor added 11 tackles and 1 INT. Below are some videos and pictures we got from the game, enjoy and remember that the season isn’t over!
(Don’t forget to check out our facebook page photo gallery for more pictures)
Previous position breakdowns:
Today we continue the position breakdowns for the 2013 football season and focus on the Wide Receivers, which Coach Charlie Strong said at his press conference on Monday would be the strength of the offense. If you want to talk about a position with depth, this is it. So let’s go ahead and get into it.
6’3 209 lbs
A local product from Ballard High School, DeVante Parker has led the team in touchdown catches in each of his first two years as a Card. As a freshman, he played in 11 games and caught 6 touchdowns. Keep in mind this was also Teddy Bridgewater’s first season, and later in the year, Parker was often double-teamed so Bridgewater would not force it to him. He still finished with 18 catches for 291 yards.
2014 Louisville QB commit Reggie Bonnafon (Trinity) has agreed to do a Senior Year Journal for CSZ. He will keep us updated about the summer workouts and how things are going for him. It should be pretty interesting stuff! In his second entry, Bonnafon talks about attending UofL’s football camp this past weekend!
By Justin Renck:
In case you missed the 2nd episode of “The Cardinal Pulse“, here is the show in its entirety! CSZ’s Steven Rummage joins Jon Hancock of kentuckysports.co in this episode. They discuss the UofL-Marquette basketball game from Sunday and also talk football recruiting. They even have an interview with Trinity star and UofL commit James Quick, as well as a skype chat with Howie Lindsey of cardinalsports.com and The Louisville Sports Report!
By Justin Renck:
Trinity High School star defensive end Jason Hatcher, who committed to USC on July 27, made big news on twitter last night. We at CSZ have been expecting it to happen for quite a while, but last night he made it official and he de-committed from USC. His tweet said “I official de-committed from USC #WideOpen”.