This week…..on 55…..
We talk Season Finale. Great season by Shoni as the Women’s Basketball run came to an end. Another era ended. We asked you what your Top 25 moments were of this season and you tweeted them to us. In a 2 week time frame that has felt like the worst time frame in our lives, was there a bright spot? Were there 2? Were there 3? (Shoni may agree) The Year Of The Cardinal may have some to an end but it’s not the end. It also wasn’t the only streak that ended this weekend. So here we go, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is the season finale of……55.
Here we go……….
1) On Tuesday night, the amazing career of Shoni Schimmel and the unforgettable season of the University of Louisville Women’s basketball team came to an end when they lost to Maryland 76-73 at home in the KFC YUM! Center. Shoni scored 31 points and added 5 steals and 4 assists while playing the entire 40 minutes. After a slow start to the 2nd half, Shoni erupted with back to back 3′s in the final 30 seconds and had a chance to tie it with one of the best drawn up and executed plays I have seen in my life. It didn’t go in. Asia Taylor added 12 points, 6 assists and 8 rebounds. Antonita Slaughter scored 16. Thank you Seniors for the great ride and thank you Shoni as I am sure that your jersey will hang from the rafters one day, and this next picture that I’ve used several times this season will forever remind CardNation of what you are all about.
3) If only there was something Shoni could do within those next few days to lift her spirits and the spirits of CardNation…..
4) Oh Yeah
6) Shoni beat all of the ladies to win the women’s title, then beat men’s winner Brady Heslip to win the overall championship. Great day had by all…well except Oddysey
8) As @Slaughter_4 said……You mad?
10) Moving forward
11) On Thursday I asked you guys to send me your 2013-14 moment of the year so I could include them in this season finale. I got a lot of responses and I can’t include the duplicates but here are your top moments of the year.
Press release from UofL:
Louisville, Ky. - A limited number of tickets are remaining for the final University of Louisville women’s basketball home game against top-ranked UConn. The only tickets that remain are upper level seats for $5.
The UConn game is Senior Night for seniors Tia Gibbs, Shoni Schimmel, Antonita Slaughter and Asia Taylor. Head Coach Jeff Walz and the Cardinals will hold a pregame ceremony for all four seniors in their final regular season home game at the KFC Yum! Center.
The game is also Native American Appreciation Night, to honor some of Louisville’s most dedicated fans. The first 500 fans will receive a free turquoise shirt. The t-shirt symbolizes the support and friendship of the Native American community for the University of Louisville women’s basketball team and Shoni andJude Schimmel. So far over 1,000 tickets have been sold to Native Americans from 38 different states for the game.
Tickets are on sale at the UofL Ticket Office, located near Gate 2 of Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium at 2800 South Floyd Street. The ticket office is open weekdays from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. Cardinal fans may also purchase tickets at ticket counters at statewide Kroger locations.
Louisville women’s basketball junior guard Jude Schimmel was nominated for the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association Allstate Good Works Team, announced on Tuesday.
The award recognizes a select group of college basketball student-athletes who have made significant contributions to the greater good of their communities through volunteerism and civic service. In its second year, the Allstate WBCA and NABC Good Works Teams® honor players at all levels of college basketball who represent the sport’s finest in the areas of leadership and charitable achievements amongst their peers. The student-athletes nominated for this prestigious award embody the true spirit of teamwork and giving back.