Quick comments from Lamar Jackson, Reggie Bonnafon, Trumaine Washington, and Chucky Williams.
Earlier this week, I posted about five players to watch on offense at this Friday’s spring football game. Now it is time for the five players to watch on defense. Once again, these won’t be the obvious guys that you already know about like Sheldon Rankins or James Burgess. Rather, this will be a list of guys that you may or may not have heard of, but that we expect to make an impact in the 2015 season for the Cards.
Once again, just for reference, I will tell you the five guys we highlighted going into last year’s spring game, just to show we may have an idea of what we are talking about. And if this is completely wrong this year, my fault. Last year’s five to watch on defense:
1) Keith Kelsey – Had to fill the void left by Preston Brown last season. I would say he did that.
2) Sheldon Rankins – Like I said, not even listing him this year because he is obvious. Was not obvious at this point last year.
3 & 4) Richard Benjamin & Chucky Williams – Had these guys on here because of the loss of Hakeem Smith and Calvin Pryor. Had no idea Gerod Holliman would blow up like he did, and James Sample wasn’t even a thought to be a Cardinal at the time.
5) Trevon Young – Didn’t have a breakout season, but also played a similar position as some guy named Lorenzo Mauldin. He still appeared in 11 games though.
So what that shows is this list may miss a time or two (Benjamin and Williams) or it can have guys on here that can be huge on defense (Kelsey and Rankins). Take it for what it’s worth. It would be easy to name the big-time guys. Taking a couple chances here.
Videos from Howie Lindsey of CardinalSports.com.
Transcribed by me, which takes forever.
With the rain coming down outside, the Cards hit the practice field at the Trager Indoor Facility on Friday morning. This is the time slot for most of the newcomers to practice, along with a few other older players who have afternoon classes. After practice, freshman cornerback Trumaine Washington spoke to the media for a few minutes. Washington is from Miami, Florida and told us that he almost didn’t even end up at an ACC school because people told him he was too small.
This week…..on 55…..
We talk 2014 Football signing class, emoticons and emoji, The valiant effort of the Women’s Basketball team (Not Lady Cards, been trying to spread the word coach) to a surprise for the loyal readers of 55, and so much more. Here’s a little backstory on this week’s 55 pic. The above picture is a speed limit sign from the frigid snow engulfed areas of Northern Wisconsin. Their motto is drive under 55 and you may stay alive. I wish I was kidding, I am not at all. We are doing our next #CardFam Lunch this Sunday at noon at BW3’s on Dixie, all are welcome, just DM me and let me know for head count purposes. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55
1) I am starting a promotion for my loyal and wonderful supporters of the #55movement (Just made that up). Starting next Monday I will let you guys write a portion of 55. Just tweet me #First15 and I will let you write the first 15 lines of 55. It’s that simple. Shoutout to @TurtleBITW for getting my brain turning and coming up with this idea. Everyone will get to do it. I will randomize the order. That easy.
3) I did NOT get the idea from this book
4) Speaking of
5) I posed a question on Twitter last night about whether or not dudes should send other dudes smiley faces or tongue sticking out faces or emojis or emoticons in general. I said RT for Yes and Fav for No. I had a few speak on it instead of following Twitter survey etiquette but here is the question and results.
7) No RT and all favorites…
9) Haha indeed
10) I had a friend tell me I needed emoji for dummies….But “he” uses them and knew the name of the book….
12) Moving forward
13) Today Greg Brown, an NFL coaching veteran and former collegiate defensive coordinator, has joined the University of Louisville football’s coaching staff as the safeties coach and recruiting coordinator. Brown spent 15 years in the NFL before going to Alabama in 2013 as secondary coach under Nick Saban.
14) Kelsi Jones was named the inaugural AAC Player of the Week as UofL Softball started the season with a tough 3-2 record on the weekend. It doesn’t get any easier this weekend heading to Jacksonville with games against #17 Mizzou, #36 Notre Dame & #39 North Carolina. Good Luck girls!
15) On Sunday the Women’s Tennis team annihilated Conference foe Cincy 7-0 at home. The Cards are on a 3 match winning streak and will head to Wisconsin Friday.
Trumaine Washington- Cornerback
5’10 170 lbs
Joe Namath because…well why not?
There has been a lot going on in Louisville sports lately, highlighted by football commitments every 5 minutes (seems like it). So I figured I would get you all caught up here on what has been going on. Consider this your one-stop shop for recent Louisville news. But come back and check out the site later if you want to of course. There will be a lot of links in this post so if you haven’t been able to keep up with news lately, it is all laid out for you.
*National Signing Day is this Wednesday February 5. We will keep you updated on what players become official members of the Louisville football team. Always an exciting day. The day of the fax machine!
*Some people started to get worried about this year’s football recruiting class. Some of us laughed at those people, and for good reason. Petrino and his staff have been getting commitments left and right lately, and here they are (as of now)…
This week…..on 55…..
Additions, Subtractions, Super Bowl & JC Penneys? Yeah I try to cover it all. From people going crazy on me to signing day to the omission of a certain someone, it’s here. A powerful and swift campaign swept twitter last Tuesday and you know what? It worked. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55
That is a pic of my Doss Jersey in case you were wondering, if you weren’t then I challenge your existence
2) Louisville First, Cards FOREVER….never forget
3) Hopefully some of the recruits out there who are still deciding pay attention to this
4) Speaking of recruits
5) Trumaine Washington
6) That’s how you show love guys! Click here for more on Trumaine
7) LuKayus Mcneil (click here for more)
8) Charles Standberry (click here for more) No tweets from today
9) Quincy McKinney
10) So for all of you guys that doubted coach P, we just jumped up into the top 35-40 when some of ya’ll said we would be 70th
12) I tried to tell them Shaq
Bobby Petrino and his staff are finishing off this recruiting season in great fashion. According to Ryan Bartow and Mike Hughes of InsideTheVille.com, the latest commitment comes from 3-star JUCO offensive tackle Quincy McKinney, who is listed at 6’4 and 310 lbs. He currently attends Hutchinson Community College in Hutchinson, Kansas. He is originally from Columbus, Georgia. McKinney chose the Cards over N.C. State and East Carolina. He also had offers from Kansas State and Arizona State.
McKinney joins Danny Burns, Kelby Johnson, and Lukayus McNeil as offensive linemen commits. Since Friday night, the Cards have gotten commitments from Lukayus McNeil, Trumaine Washington, Charles Standberry, and now Quincy McKinney. Pretty nice weekend.
After a string of negative news on the recruiting front, things are starting to turn around for the Cards right before signing day. Just last night, offensive tackle Lukayus McNeil committed to the Cards. Today, 3-star cornerback Trumaine Washington out of Miami, FL announced via twitter that he has chosen Louisville over Syracuse.
He also holds offers from Duke, Purdue, and some of the Florida schools like FAU and FIU.
Here is his highlight video.
Here is what the recruits were tweeting about while on Louisville’s campus this weekend. There were 10 total visitors. National Signing Day is Wednesday February 5.
Coach Petrino and his staff are hosting another group of recruits this weekend. These “official visit” weekends are huge for the staff since the coaching change and because National Signing Day is just a couple of weeks away. They have to lock down the guys who were committed to the previous staff as well as impress the targets. Here is the list of visitors this weekend for the Cards.
Desean Blair– 4* wide receiver from Jacksonville, FL. 6’4 185 lbs
*According to our own post here, Blair said that Nebraska was his favorite after visiting them last weekend. However, after Coach Petrino visited his school this week, the Cards pulled even, making this weekend a big one for the Cards with Blair.
Michael Johnson– 4* safety from Hialeah, FL. 6’2 190 lbs