This week on 55……….
We talk Cardinal Camo…….YES…..Cardinal Camo. We go over huge upsets and letdown. We go over the wet, wet, win in South Florida and a slew of other great but random things that have happened this week. Glad to have 55 back for you guys after the hiatus last week. Without further adieu, here are the 55 greatest, most ridiculous or random things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom a speedy recovery. She means the world to me and normally I don’t talk about personal issues on 55 but if you get a moment, say a prayer. I put her for #1 because she is my number 1….mushy I know (Don’t care)
2) Speaking of #1′s
4) On that shot by Becca Maddock, the #14 University of Louisville Field Hockey team defeated #1 UNC 3-2 Saturday. Congratulations for defending Trager!
5) Will be interesting to see where the Cards will be ranked when the new polls come out tomorrow…..
6) I got a tip a few weeks ago that we would be unveiling a new uni combo vs FSU in football. Me and Steve went through all the possible combos and ideas we could think of but nothing…..and the 55 means NOTHING could prepare us for this…………………….
8) First off, I’m sorry for referring to myself as the 55. Secondly may I say……….WOW! Here are a few more pics Adidas released this morning
10) Thank you Adidas for everything you do for us……
11) On Saturday the Football Cards defeated FIU 34-3 despite QB Will Gardner leaving the game with injury. The Cards O-Line looked very sloppy but this game was played on a sloppy field. The Cards line will have to improve if we want to have any shot at the big boys on our schedule.
12) A few highlights of the FIU game were Gerod Holliman taking the lead in INT’s in the country with 2 including this:
14) Once only thought of as a heavy hitter, Holliman has shown an evolution into a complete corner this year. It’s been a long time coming!
15) Also James Quick had this amazing catch:
17) Quick finished the day with 174 yards and 2 TD’s. Quick scored those 2 TD’s within :45 seconds. Amazing!
18) Also Keith Kelsey continued to impress after a 4 tackle day that included a sack for a 24 yard loss
19) I still think this should have counted
21) Oh well….I am sure we will plenty of Keith Kelsey highlights this season
22) It still should have counted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23) Moving on….
24) Speaking of our beloved Football Cardinals, UL is a 21 point favorite this week vs Wake Forest
25) I didn’t notice it during the Virginia game but did anyone else see Burgess hit their RB so hard his sweat exploded?
26) I wish I could’ve found that video….I tried but it kept taking me to clips that made me sad
27) I want to send out my condolences to the Bonnafon family since I was unable to last week…
28) When Reggie comes back there is no doubt in my mind that he will be starting for the time being. He is a tremendous talent and will thrive in Coach Petrino’s system. If that O line doesn’t improve we could put Jameis back there and it wouldn’t matter
29) Jameis get off that table! never mind….you know what I’m saying though
31) Ahhhhhh……….he stiff-armed him right in the….helmet
32) Glad we don’t have any more distractions like that at UL anymore (Insert Chane Smiley face)
33) On a different note, This weekend CSZ surpassed the 1 Million view mark lifetime. We want to thank each and every one of you for supporting this little thing we do. On my part I would like to say we were blessed to have such an amazing team. I want to thank Justin and Steve for everything they do let them know I appreciate them and we are lucky to have such a great team. We have some great Part timers too…Shout out to the princess of CSZ and her hat, Daryl Foust
34) Yesterday Matt Cassel broke some bones in his foot or something which prompted the Minnesota Vikings head coach to name him the starter going forward! Congrats to Teddy time and here’s hoping you show them what you showed us at the Ville!
36) Great, great moment….Class Act right there
37) Lets go to the week in review for Cardinal Athletics!
38) Women’s Golf won the Cardinal Cup on Tuesday! great start to the season by the ladies. Emily Haas finished the day at -1 for a 4th place finish overall. The Women travel to Colorado for the GolfWeek Challenge which starts today
39) The Men’s golf team helped take the victory for the ACC in the ACC/SEC challenge. The Cards did fall to Georgia in match play but J.D. Lehman and Robin Sciot-Siegrist picked up singles victories. The team is off until next Monday
40) Louisville Volleyball traveled to Texas for the Rice Invitational this past weekend. The Cards did not drop one set the entire weekend (3-0) and improved to 8-4 overall. Janelle Jenkins, Maya McClendon and Tess Clark were named to the All Tourney team with Jenkins landing MVP honors.
42) The Cards kick off their ACC Conference slate at home with games Friday vs BC at 7p and Sunday vs Georgia Tech at 2p. Get out and support our Cards!
43) The #9 Men’s Soccer team had a tough battle this week as they traveled to BC and escaped with a 3-2 victory in OT. Nolan Moore hit the game winner. The Cards travel to Lexington Tuesday for a game vs uk. I wish I was making this up but uk is holding an ABE-Out…..This will explain it all. SMH
46) Trying to move past that, the Cards host PITT on Friday at the LYNN……
47) Women’s Soccer went 2-0 this week at home after wins over Kent State and Syracuse! This week they will travel to FSU and Miami…. I suddenly hate them
48) From GoCards.com: University of Louisville junior Jeffrey Brown claimed the Indiana University Hoosier Classic Singles title Sunday afternoon. Coach Rex Ecarma is doing a phenominal job, Here are the full results
Louisville Men’s Tennis Results
IU Hoosier Classic
Sept. 21, 2014
Jeffrey Brown (UL) d. Matthew McCoy (IU) 7-6, 6-4
Brown d. Carsten fisher 6-4, 6-3
Santiago Salazar (UL) d. Baseem Mekawi (YSU) 6-4, 7-6
Courtney Lock (UL) d. Freddy Abunku (Xavier) 6-3,6-3
Remi Chancerel (Youngstown State) d. Pally Ray (UL) 6-3, 6-0
49) Other than knocking off little ol #1 UNC, the Filed Hockey team was in chill mode last week. This week they have 3 games! They host Ohio State tomorrow then travel to Wake on Friday then will play at Liberty on Sunday
Good job girls…good job!
50) Guessing with the de-commitment from Blakeney that the CSZ recruiting notebook will make a return soon…IMO it’s Dozier or bust for the last slot in this class. Here’s what Steve thinks..
51) Looks like the PGA is going to have a nice pair of Cards in the mix….I’m sorry for the pun
52) Gorgui Deing is predicted to have a breakout year this year in the NBA because….well because he’s great and our Gorgui!
54) Jeff Walz is on fire as if I even needed to tell you. Check out his loaded class here and let me know who you want to see as the final piece. Tweet me at @Jeremy_CSZ and let your voice be heard! My vote is for Arike Ogunbowale….
55) Finally, Thank goodness that Brock Lesnar left the arena with the title last night and my Steelers smoked the Panthers. at least one little guy I know wasn’t too sad last night. I wont say any names though. Matt Wesley. Until next time CardNation, this was 55………
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
P.S.-Here are videos of the Men’s basketball coaches that are excellent, enjoy!
P.S.S.- here’s the Football Intro
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE
This week on 55……….
We talk commitments……HUGE commitments. How the Cards are doing under Bobby P. Red-White scrimmage tickets go on sale. Hot dogs, Nelson, Intrastate rivals and more. Is there one more big commitment in the CARDS for UofL this week? I say L yeah! So strap in, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC………..I’m really not sure if I said it enough times but ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC. My bad, I know that was the same #1 as it was last week but so much more respect nationally just due to the conference switch. Much more fun league to be a part of as well. Got the following tweet right after the game….
3) Last year we would have “slipped by” or “escaped” This year we shut down a top ACC team. So proud of this team…..
4) Read my experience from my first ACC game here
Today the Cardinals released their schedule for the upcoming season. The Cardinals will enter their first season in the ACC with a pretty good schedule and a home schedule that will boast 9 nationally ranked teams. One of the highlights of the upcoming season will take place in Minneapolis, Minnesota as the Cards will partner with ND to take on Minnesota & Wisconsin in the ACC/B1G Challenge August 29-30. It will not however be a falls count anywhere match. Also we found out that the Lady Cards will be sporting new Uniforms this season:
Real smooth looking and different then what we are used to. It looks to be another banner year for the Cards as look for their 25th NCAA appearance. We will rekindle rivalries with old conference foes such as Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech & Florida State. We will continue the fierce rivalries with former conference foe Cincinnati (that felt weird to say) and Kentucky. Below is the schedule for the upcoming season.
Janelle Jenkins had 10 kills and two blocks to lead the University of Louisville volleyball team to a 25-21, 25-17, 25-20 sweep of Middle Tennessee Tuesday night in Murfreesboro. Maya McClendon hit 11 kills and senior Brooke Mattingly hit .562 with nine kills on 15 swings, adding three blocks. The Cards, 12-7, hit .309 with five blocks and four aces. The Cards travel to Rutgers for a 7 p.m. match before heading to UConn for a 1 p.m. ESPNU-televised match in Storrs, Conn. as AAC action continues.
Here is what happened the weekend of Friday October 18th through Sunday October 20th around CardNation:
On Friday, October 18th:
*Senior outside hitter Emily Juhl had 13 kills and an ace to lead the University of Louisville Volleyball team to a 25-13, 25-22, 25-15 win over rival Cincinnati to stay unbeaten in the American Athletic Conference Friday night in Cincinnati. Maya McClendon’s had 14 digs and Janelle Jenkins added nine kills and senior Randi Ewing hit .556 with six kills and a block.
*Women’s Swimming and Diving started the SMU Classic on Friday and finished the day 5th overall
*Women’s Tennis competed in the ITA Ohio Valley Regional Championships on Friday, Julia Fellerhoff and Rebecca Shine advanced to the semi finals in doubles with Fellerhoff advancing to the quarterfinals in singles as the ITA Regionals Tennis Tournament continues in Memphis. Fellerhoff and Shine beat Memphis’ Marta Morga and Skylar Kuykendall 8-3 and will face off against Krisztina Kapitany and Mara Schmidt of Purdue on Monday as play continues.
*In Football Cards lose 38-35…enough said
@UofLVolleyball starts of their inaugural season in the AAC this weekend with games with Memphis and Temple on tap Friday and Sunday at the KFC Yum! Center. The Memphis Tigers are one of the Volleyball teams oldest rivals. It is sure to be a phenomenal environment this weekend. CardNation come show your support!
TV: Fans who cannot attend the Memphis match can watch it on WHAS Digital 11.2, Comcast 202 and on Time Warner 432.
(Click Below for more information on the team from Associate S.I.D. Nancy Worley)
Here is a wrap-up of all things Cardinal for this past weekend, Enjoy as we were really busy this weekend across the board:
Field Hockey: @ULFieldHockey
On Friday the #19 Field Hockey team defeated #20 ODU in a thrilling 3-2 game in OT. Erin Schneidtmiller’s goal just 45 seconds into OT gave them the victory. After being down 1-0 on Sunday, The Cards come back to take that contest 2-1