Last season: Plain and simple, this was a young group that experienced some major growing pains last season. Louisville started a lot of freshmen at basically every position on the line except for center (which, ironically, was manned by an upperclassmen). In spite of their youth, and facing some top notch defensive lines like Texas A&M and Clemson, Louisville showed some great potential in run blocking in the latter half of the season, and did a stellar job in pass protection against a strong A&M pass rush in the Music City Bowl.
This week…..on 55…..
We talk 2014 Football signing class, emoticons and emoji, The valiant effort of the Women’s Basketball team (Not Lady Cards, been trying to spread the word coach) to a surprise for the loyal readers of 55, and so much more. Here’s a little backstory on this week’s 55 pic. The above picture is a speed limit sign from the frigid snow engulfed areas of Northern Wisconsin. Their motto is drive under 55 and you may stay alive. I wish I was kidding, I am not at all. We are doing our next #CardFam Lunch this Sunday at noon at BW3’s on Dixie, all are welcome, just DM me and let me know for head count purposes. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55
1) I am starting a promotion for my loyal and wonderful supporters of the #55movement (Just made that up). Starting next Monday I will let you guys write a portion of 55. Just tweet me #First15 and I will let you write the first 15 lines of 55. It’s that simple. Shoutout to @TurtleBITW for getting my brain turning and coming up with this idea. Everyone will get to do it. I will randomize the order. That easy.
3) I did NOT get the idea from this book
4) Speaking of
5) I posed a question on Twitter last night about whether or not dudes should send other dudes smiley faces or tongue sticking out faces or emojis or emoticons in general. I said RT for Yes and Fav for No. I had a few speak on it instead of following Twitter survey etiquette but here is the question and results.
7) No RT and all favorites…
9) Haha indeed
10) I had a friend tell me I needed emoji for dummies….But “he” uses them and knew the name of the book….
12) Moving forward
13) Today Greg Brown, an NFL coaching veteran and former collegiate defensive coordinator, has joined the University of Louisville football’s coaching staff as the safeties coach and recruiting coordinator. Brown spent 15 years in the NFL before going to Alabama in 2013 as secondary coach under Nick Saban.
14) Kelsi Jones was named the inaugural AAC Player of the Week as UofL Softball started the season with a tough 3-2 record on the weekend. It doesn’t get any easier this weekend heading to Jacksonville with games against #17 Mizzou, #36 Notre Dame & #39 North Carolina. Good Luck girls!
15) On Sunday the Women’s Tennis team annihilated Conference foe Cincy 7-0 at home. The Cards are on a 3 match winning streak and will head to Wisconsin Friday.
A big part of this year’s signing class was bringing in 4 offensive linemen. Danny Burns, Kelby Johnson, Jimmie Terry, and Lukayus McNeil make up a pretty good class at this position. Johnson is a JUCO transfer so that means he will be expected to come in and compete right away for playing time. Of course the expectation from the staff is that EVERY player come in and compete right away, but we know that on the offensive line, that is a little bit more difficult.
Here is some more information about each of the new offensive line signees. This information is from UofL’s website, GoCards.com.
Danny Burns- Offensive Tackle
6’7 318 lbs
Burns has been committed since June 27, 2013 and brings a lot of size to the offensive line. After a couple of seasons with the program and getting in college football shape, look for Burns to find his way into the offensive line rotation for the Cards down the road in the ACC. That is typical for offensive linemen in college. Not many come in and play right away.
Here is what the recruits were tweeting about while on Louisville’s campus this weekend. There were 10 total visitors. National Signing Day is Wednesday February 5.
Coach Petrino and his staff are hosting another group of recruits this weekend. These “official visit” weekends are huge for the staff since the coaching change and because National Signing Day is just a couple of weeks away. They have to lock down the guys who were committed to the previous staff as well as impress the targets. Here is the list of visitors this weekend for the Cards.
Desean Blair– 4* wide receiver from Jacksonville, FL. 6’4 185 lbs
*According to our own post here, Blair said that Nebraska was his favorite after visiting them last weekend. However, after Coach Petrino visited his school this week, the Cards pulled even, making this weekend a big one for the Cards with Blair.
Michael Johnson– 4* safety from Hialeah, FL. 6’2 190 lbs
2014 UofL Football Commits (verbal)
Team recruiting rankings (August 5, 2:00 p.m.)
247 Sports: 22nd
Louisville, KY (Trinity) 6’1 195 lbs
247 Sports 3*
Some other offers: Kentucky, Illinois