Reggie Bonnafon, Charles Standberry, Chucky Williams and Vince Tyra all spoke with the media today to discuss the cardinal’s bid to the TaxSlayer Bowl and their opponent Mississippi State. Take a listen below.
Todays game was an odd one. You thought on one hand it should be easy but then on the other hand you know we don’t make anything easy. The Cards pull off the 47-35 victory in Chapel Hill over a terrible UNC team that put up 400 yards of offense. That would be one of the only negatives but here at quick hitt5r5 we tackle both the positive and negatives. Here we go:
(Stats provided by Chris Mull because I cannot Multi-task)
- This is the first edition of Quick Hitt5r5, kind of like a mini version of 55………..You.Are.Welcome.
- Lamar went Super Saiyan on their @$$, He threw for 393 yards through the air & put up 132 on the ground. Amazing!
- We asked for the O-Line to improve and boy did they. 1 infraction as opposed to the plethora last week. 6 penalties this week as opposed to 16 last week.
- We asked for a rushing game last week and we got it this week. 132 for Lamar, 149 for Malik & 22 for Reggie
- Lamar’s accuracy is the difference between 47 points and 60 this week. That is saying a bunch
- The Cards did not turn the ball over. That’s good football.
- Seth Dawkins played a live action version of Mortal Kombat today:
- Looking forward to seeing #10 back on the sidelines this week
- The WR’s came up big today! Jalen with 9 for 183 & a TD & Dez has 4 for 78 & 2 TD’s
- Defense wins championships. Our defense gave up 400 to UNC but when you have Action Jackson you may be able to get away with it
- The Defense played inconsistent. Had some key stops, gave up some key plays. It’s still earl though in the season.
- Get out and tailgate and hang out with CardNation before the kick next week. These big games are special and coming more often
- Gameday looks like it is heading to the Ville
- As good as special teams played last week they played equally as poor this week. Not too worried about this unless it becomes a trend.
- We had 2 drives end in FG’s that started near mid-field then had 2 drives that were 90+yards long.
- Last year we were a first half team & this year we are a 2nd half team. Imagine if we could do a little of both???
- D-Line got little to no penetration again. That has to be fixed now.
- Our Db’s look like lost little puppies out there
- Higgys girlfriend is not fictional as we all suspected. Plus, he does own shirts that fit. This has nothing to do with the game but I had to throw it in. Oh yeah, he also likes boneless wings and bleu cheese. Everyone follow suit & block & unfollow him.
- Thank Goodness somebody else had a lineman inexplicably fall down out their stance. Im looking at you Kiona.
- Repeat, I repeat: Dez is gonna be a star. Call him 6Patrick from this day forward
- Creque was automatic today
- Lamar set a bunch of records today and threw the longest passing TD of his career:
- Had a great time at Diorio’s with the CSZ crew, Sam, Marissa & even Boombox Mike showed up to secure the victory.
- *Penalty Flag Thrown* Boombox called into Mark Ennis’s show on 93.9 The Ville & told him he had fun with the Crunch Zone guys. I’m not even mad. Those dudes are good people.
That is all for my account of tonight’s game. Thanks for reading.
Go Cards, Beat Clemson
Click on more below for some stats from todays victory over UNC:
I can finally breathe. We pull out a win vs a team we should’ve destroyed and it is all due to overconfidence imo. The things we did wrong are very fixable. They’ve been working all summer so why do they need to be fixed? You might say. Playing against another team is different from playing against your own in practice. I sat down to write this story and I was like crap, i am not good at breakdowns, that’s Mitch &JK thing. Since my entire team went to Indianapolis for the game & are probably passed out somewhere I decide to give it a shot. I would not call it a recap though but I will call it a summary. Here are my takeaways (Honorary Tax Boy) from tonight’s game…
- Lamar picked up where he left off amassing 485 yards & 2TD
- Center struggled hearing count but all in all not a bad night from the O-Line
- You can work on the penalties we had, most were due to inexperience
- There was no rushing game except from Lamar BUT he made the right decisions/reads on when to hand off or keep
- Lamar’s accuracy looks improved
- Special teams were a few blocks away from blowing this game open, that too can be worked on
- 1-0 is 1-0
- The Tax Boys came to collect on that a** tonight, Should’ve called them the IRS instead
- Defense Wins Championships
- Hopefully J’aire is out a week max and is back for Clemson
- D-Line got little to no penetration (giggety) until Purdue fatigued, this needs to change
- Need to secure the ball better. The turnovers were preventable and this game could’ve, should’ve been out of hand
- STOP FAVORING US BY LARGE MARGINS VEGAS!!!
- Dez is gonna be a star. They keep doubling Jaylen & Dez gonna make them pay…
- For the love of God Louisville Twitter stop overreacting, that is what use to set us apart from uk fans. Use to…..
- WR made a few erroes but looked like they were seeing the ball well and making effortless catches. As a former TE I like to see that.
- We marched into a difficult city & Stadium for us to win in and turned Indianapolis into Windianapolis
That is all for my account of tonight’s game. Thanks for reading.
Go Cards, Beat The Tar Heels
P.S.-Don’t Forget to check CSZ tomorrow for Photo Galleries from the staff! Jeff Nunn was on the field for this one.
Click on more below for Stats
The University of Louisville has one of the best digital video/media groups around. They are always putting great stuff out. From last year’s mic’d up to this year’s fast facts to the unlimited plethora of social media edits, they have the game on lock. The fast facts series is fairly new (Jaire being one) but this week the fine folks at UofL Football focus on Reggie Bonnafon.
The ACC Digital Network spends a lot of time on each school in the conference. I may be a little biased but I think they do their best work on their Louisville stuff.
They focused today on Louisville’s solid receiving corp. Louisville has always been known for having great crops of receivers. The acronym A.F.R.O.S. was coined here. America’s Finest Receivers On Saturday was born in the mid 90’s by name and has been a traditiona ever since. Today @theACCDN shows you this year’s A.F.R.O.S.
Tonight the Cards traveled to the very hostile Joan & dominated Marshall 59-28. Despite it taking awhile to get in hand, the Cards took control and imposed their will. Lamar accounted for 7 more touchdowns tonight putting him at 25 total. The #3 Cards next face #5 Clemson Saturday night in Death Valley. Here are today’s highlights.
Many cameos tonight from Louisville Football during Lamar Jackson’s feature on SportsCenter. Kelsey, Bolin & Bonnafon to name a few. Lamar is as entertaining off of the field as he is on. Click on more below to watch in its entirety!
As you all know, the Cardinal Sports Zone threw a Football Kickoff Party at JB’s Pub on Central Friday night. It was a pretty awesome time and we were humbled at the amount of people that showed up to support us. For that we thank you all. We had several special guests in attendance as well. Former Cards Mario Urrutia & Ibn Green were asked a few questions by our own Steve Rummage. Here is what Ibn had to say when Steve asked about the season results…..
Well there you go, Ibn has this being the year that we take it to the house
Well maybe not like that but you get the drift. Click on more to hear what Louisville great Mario Urrutia had to say about Reggie Bonnafon and Super Student Athletes.
The University Of Louisville football team could be in this seasons college football playoff. They could also be playing in the Music City Bowl again. There is a lot of hype around this years team but there is still a lot to be proven. Will they live up to the hype? Personally, I am a believer in this years team. I have seen the team come together as one. I have seen players like Reggie Bonnafon and Kyle Bolin make decisions based on the betterment of the team and not themselves. I saw four players turn down the NFL to come back for one more chance. Usually we think in Read the rest of this entry
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Coming off an 8-5 season a year ago and winners of eight of its final 10 games, the University of Louisville football team — with 17 starters returning — officially reported to campus for the start of fall practice, which begins Wednesday morning.
The newcomers will hit the field at 8:50 a.m. and the vets will practice at 4:20 a.m.
Read the rest of this entry
If you didn’t or couldn’t listen to the CardinalSportsZone podcast live today, it’s available here! We give updates and thoughts on the Damion Lee & Derryck Thornton recruiting efforts. We talk 2015 recruit performances at the KDFBB Classic. Who will be the starting QB? We give our thoughts! We have a podcast tab where all episodes will be kept. You can also favorite CardinalSportsZonein your browser. The CardinalSportsZone podcast is available on iTunes! Click on the badge below to subscribe today! Call in to the show on Monday’s and Friday’s at our regular time of noon at (914) 338-0180.
As always we hope you enjoy todays episode of the CardinalSportsZone Podcast:
If you want to listen to the CardinalSportsZone podcast do the following:
This week on 55……….
We talk commitments……HUGE commitments. How the Cards are doing under Bobby P. Red-White scrimmage tickets go on sale. Hot dogs, Nelson, Intrastate rivals and more. Is there one more big commitment in the CARDS for UofL this week? I say L yeah! So strap in, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC………..I’m really not sure if I said it enough times but ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC. My bad, I know that was the same #1 as it was last week but so much more respect nationally just due to the conference switch. Much more fun league to be a part of as well. Got the following tweet right after the game….
3) Last year we would have “slipped by” or “escaped” This year we shut down a top ACC team. So proud of this team…..
4) Read my experience from my first ACC game here