We have reached that time of year in Louisville where it seems that there is not a lot of University of Louisville athletics to keep us entertained. Basketball season is over and most of the recruiting news pertains to 2017 recruits. To me, the recruiting news is not that exciting because kids have a whole year to change their mind. I get excited when they actually step onto campus. I also don’t get too excited about preseason rankings or mock drafts that are still a year away. Sure they are conversation pieces but I guess its great for radio. The football spring game is over and we won’t see them on the field for five months. Our recent NFL draft success has helped bring more excitement to the program but the draft is now over. Read the rest of this entry
The 5th ranked Cardinals will host Brown University at U of L Lacrosse Stadium at 7:00 on Wednesday, March 30. The need all the support they can get as this will be the first game in program history to be played under the lights. This is the second to last home game of the season. The last home game will be played on April 16 vs Virginia at 1:00p.m.
While I’m at home today I figured I would catch you up on the remainder of Cardinal Athletics for this school year. ACC here we come…
Here we go…………….
-The University of Louisville rowing program will begin its first ever appearance at the NCAA Championship on Friday when the 18th-ranked Cardinals begin the three-day event at Eagle Creek Park in Indianapolis, Ind. Having earned an automatic berth by winning the American Athletic Conference Championship, the Cardinals begin the competition with a trio of Friday morning heat races starting with the varsity eight boat in Heat 1 at 9:10 a.m., ET. Louisville’s second varsity eight boat will compete in Heat 2 at 10 a.m., while the varsity four boat will begin the weekend in Heat 3 at 10:50 a.m.
-University of Louisville field hockey coach Justine Sowry has announced the 2014 schedule which includes eight games at Trager Stadium. The Cardinals’ 2014 slate features four top 10 teams including 2013 NCAA runner-up Duke and semifinalist North Carolina. Additionally 10 of Louisville’s 19 opponents finished last season ranked in the National Field Hockey Coaches Association top 20.
This is the Cardinal week in review 4/14/14:
First off, this is the first week without 55 in several months but we had a ton of news. We did see our first edition of 4YourInfo by Daryl though. From TrezL to the road sweep of then #7 Houston, here is the week in review.
MontrezL HarreLL has decided to come back for his Junior year. That makes us happy. Wayne Blackshear wiLL NOT leave and both wiLL be captains for next season. I beLieve once Chris announces his intentions that he wiLL aLso be named captain. Here’s every dunk from trezL this year…P.S. I know aLL the L’s don’t need to be capitaLized but who’s gonna stop meL?
Read what Steve had to say here
Tonight at 8pm on ESPN2, then from 9-10:30 on ESPNU the 2014 WNBA Draft will be held. Shoni Schimmel was one of only 12 people to be invited to the draft meaning she should be a first rounder. All Seniors from this class are eligible for the draft.
Cards break into the poll!
|Rank||Institution||Votes (1st PL)||Record|
|1||University of North Carolina||400 (400)||11-0|
|2||University of Maryland||379||13-0|
|4||University of Florida||334||12-2|
|9||University of Notre Dame||236||8-4|
|10||Pennsylvania State University||202||7-4|
|11||University of Massachusetts||186||9-1|
|12||University of Pennsylvania||184||5-2|
|13||Johns Hopkins University||154||10-1|
|14||Loyola University of Maryland||149||8-4|
|15||Stony Brook University||108||8-2|
|16||University of Virginia||87||5-6|
|17||Ohio State University||82||8-4|
|18||University of Albany (NY)||71||9-0|
|20||University of Louisville||35||7-3|
Also Receiving Votes: Towson University, Princeton University, James Madison University, Vanderbilt University
This week…..on 55…..
In honor of MY beloved Steelers hiring former Steeler great Joey Porter…and because I couldn’t find any new 55 pics…I have dedicated the title pic to you Joey Porter. Congrats! On the job not being the header on 55, or both, whatever. This week on 55 we discuss long layoffs, an all seeing being in CardNation and much, much more. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) We shall start off this week with a little Football talk. Tae Thibodeaux signed with UofL on Wednesday. The 6’1 267 pound Defensive Tackle is a much needed addition to the 2014 recruiting class. Read more here
2) Also this past weekend the Cards had a ton of visitors. Headed by David Moala, Pio Vatuvei for officials and Emmitt Smith and compamy here for junior day. Read more about Pio and Moala here
3) It was announced that all of the Spring practices will be open to the public leading up to the annual Spring game on April 11. Here is the full schedule:
4) Henry Famurewa Tweeted this out on Saturday:
5) Straight Fire………..
6) On to Basketball
7) “This has been the longest wait ever between games! At least we get to play tomorrow.”
8) “No we don’t”
10) Snowmageddon, patent pending, probably not, pushed UofL’s game vs storied rival Temple over to Friday night AKA Valentines Day. No worries as the Cards dispatched their rivals 82-58. Montrezl Harrell had a career high 22 points and with his 6 dunks, pulled within one dunk of the single season dunk record set by Chane Behanan. Surely he would shatter that vs Rutgers….
12) Because he would only get one dunk Sunday night vs storied rival Rutgers during a 102-54 stomping of Rutgers at home in the YUM! Lead by Luke Hancock’s 25 points (6 threes), Rozier’s 4 threes which led to an overall season high 16 3 point baskets made, it gave very few opportunities for Trezl to be Trezl. Worry not as the very next dunk breaks the record.
13) Also evidentally ESPN likes to call every team we play a storied rival