The Cardinal Cross Country team released its 2017 schedule today. Fans will have ample opportunity to watch meets in person, including the ACC and NCAA championship meets. See below for the entire schedule for the upcoming season!
Welcome to a special Memorial Day edition of Cardinal Catch-Up. We will go over just a few things this morning to catch you up on the state of the Cardinal Athletic World. Also showing the patriotic jerseys in the pick above give us another chance to take a shot at uk. Lol. JK, BNR. I digress.
We at CardinalSportsZone.com extend a huge thanks to all of the people, here and gone, that fought for our country.
The Cards had a rough ACC Tournament falling to both Clemson and Virginia behind abnormally bad efforts by aces Brendan McKay & Drew Harrington. Yesterday for Harrington, 6 straight hits to open up the 5th and the highest amount of runs allowed in a single inning by Louisville all season was just too much to overcome. The Cards will officially find out tonight at 8:30 that they are a national seed. Tomorrow at noon on ESPNU the entire field will be announced. To catch a full recap of yesterdays game, click here. So cheer up Baseball fans, the Cards return to the nest this weekend and will play at Jim Patterson the rest of the way until the goal. Next stop: Omaha. Stay tuned to @UofLBaseball, @CardSportsZone and @Jeremy_CSZ for updates over the next few days including opponents, times and days and ticket prices!
Here is the itinerary for this Saturday highlighted by the Wendy’s Wonderful Spring Game at 1pm.
As you can see, the day can be full of Cardinal Athletics if you wish to partake. Start off your day with the Cardinal Sports Zone show, with your host Steve Rummage, on ESPN 93.9 FM The Ville at 10am. The Red Rage tailgate will kick off the day at 8am so stay tuned for more details. It is supposed to be sunny with a high of 77° on Saturday so it should be an awesome day.
One staple of my podcast, Live With 55, is a segment I call This Week In Cardinal Athletics or TWICA for short. Since LW55 will not air this week due to the Men’s Basketball game at Pitt, I felt compelled to let you know what we have in store for you this week. The fine people at the University of Louisville helped me out today by putting the games into graphics that are awesome. So whenever you need to look at the schedule bookmark this for the week! Without further adieu, Here is This Week In Cardinal Athletics, or TWICA!
(Spoiler-You won’t hear the music playing but I hear it)
(PS-If you don’t get the joke listen to LiveWith55 Wednesday nights at 730 at blogtalkradio.com/csz)
Tuesday February 23rd
Welcome to the This week’s edition of This Week In Cardinal Athletics or T.W.I.C.A. Every Friday I will post the schedule for the upcoming week. The season is starting to wind down with Soccer ending last week. Field Hockey is over for this year. Men’s & Women’s Tennis are done until January. Here is what we have to look forward to this week in Cardinal Athletics! (If there are places to watch online, links are included)
Friday, November 20
#17 Women’s Volleyball
7:00 PM Watch Here—-> Live Video
#12/14 Women’s/Men’s Swim & Dive
vs UofL Invite
If you want to listen to the LiveWith55 podcast do the following:
Welcome to the This week’s edition of This Weekend In Cardinal Athletics or T.W.I.C.A. Every Friday I will post the schedule for the upcoming weekend. Pretty important weekend ahead as a lot of the fall sports end. Here is what we have to look forward to this weekend in Cardinal Athletics!
Friday, November 13
#22 Women’s Volleyball
Here is the debut episode of Live with 55 with guest former UofL Wide-out Lavell Boyd. I hope you enjoy.
This week on 55…..
We close in on the season finale of 55. We talk about Elite 8’s, departures and Villains. The men’s Tennis team jumps into the top 25. JamFest and McDonald’s All-American games are this week. What will I do this summer? Find out today! Steve needed a hug on the Podcast today and me and Justin tried our best to console him. Rebuild or Reload? Hmm. All of this and more……….
Without further adieu, here are the most ridiculous, outlandish, interesting or just downright obnoxious things I have heard this week. THIS is 55…..
This week on 55……….
We talk Cardinal Camo…….YES…..Cardinal Camo. We go over huge upsets and letdown. We go over the wet, wet, win in South Florida and a slew of other great but random things that have happened this week. Glad to have 55 back for you guys after the hiatus last week. Without further adieu, here are the 55 greatest, most ridiculous or random things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom a speedy recovery. She means the world to me and normally I don’t talk about personal issues on 55 but if you get a moment, say a prayer. I put her for #1 because she is my number 1….mushy I know (Don’t care)
The NCAA Outdoor Championships started this week on Wednesday in Eugene Oregon. The Cardinals had four participants in this years championships, all of whom are rookies. Here is how they did
who finished 10th in the women’s long jump at the NCAA East Preliminary Rounds finished 10th overall at the finals on Wednesday. Currently, her personal-best mark of 6.23m/20-5.25 ranks 13th best in the region and 19th nationally. She finished seventh in the event at the conference championships.
The Kitchener, Ontario, native is the first male sprinter to qualify for the national championships after placing fifth in the event at the NCAA East Preliminary Rounds. He finished tied for 23rd place in this event. Calvin did win the 2014 AAC Championships.
Byrne collected All-America honors earlier this season in cross-country after winning the AAC individual cross-country title. During the track and field season, he won the AAC outdoor 5,000m title and captured the league’s indoor 3,000m crown. Wednesday Tyler finished a minute and a half off the lead recording a 19th place finish.
competed in the 3,000m steeplechase. The sophomore continues the Cardinals’ streak of having an athlete take part in the steeplechase each year since 2009. Kibichiy finished 12th in the race at the preliminary rounds to lock up the last spot for nationals. He finished 7th in the semifinal races which locks up a spot for him in tomorrows finals at 2:57p.m. You can check out live results here at http://results.flashresults.com/2014_Meets/outdoor/06-09-NCAA/
Good luck to Edwin and Go Cards!
This week…..on 55…..We come to an end of an era. No more Luuuuuuuuuuuuke, Russ, Wichita or Van Beast. No more of this 4 year version of Boom. We will miss you and cherish this class like no other. We did get another NCAA title this week and the girls of boom are still rolling so there’s that. So here we go, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) On Friday night, which seems like a week ago, UL Men’s basketball team lost to a team none of us like….
2) This happened though….
4) Yeah I know scoreboard…
6) All jokes aside….Thank you to the following guys
7) Russ Smith
9) Tim Henderson
11) Seriously, from the bottom of our hearts…Thank you!
12) I also expect this guy to leave:
13) If he leaves I wanna thank you too Montrezl “MegaTrezl” Harrell for bringing massive monster dunks back to the school synonymous for dunking
This week…..on 55…..
As we come down to the last few episodes of 55, it’s only fitting that the end of the basketball season is near too. I just wish there was something to talk about. Oh yeah…we get uk again! So in the spirit of revenge on those we despise more than Digger Phelps (I may have went too far) here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) On Thursday night we opened up our defense of the National Championship with a tough game vs the Manhattan Jaspers, coached by former Louisville asst coach Steve Masiello. I like to believe we played the basketball version of a game called chess. Rick didn’t want to embarrass Mass so we played tit-for-tat (lol) and won the game when we needed to. Played smothering defense as well.
3) Well that had the opposite effect than I intended
4) Nevertheless, we move onto our next conquest which are the mighty Billikens of Saint Louis. Top 10 team at times this year, former conference foes…what could scare us about the Billikens?
6) Oh yeah..That was creepy….in more ways then one
7) I digress
This week…..on 55…..
I have decided instead of searching for different pics of the number 55, I would make this the official pic of 55 week in and week out. I would be up to viewer suggested pics also. If you see a pic that you would want included just private message it to me and it will be under consideration. This week has been an up and down week in the world of UofL Athletics, we will go into detail in a few. So this week we will talk ridiculous statements, wins, losses and Vince McMahon…maybe. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom the speediest of recoveries. I almost didn’t write 55 this week due to the fact I had been at the hospital a ton and my mind had been on overload. But in the end, my mom needs something to read tonight! lol. Get well soon mom….love you!
3) Oh well
4) Moving forward
5) This week I purchased the WWE Network, now I know what some of you will say…that’s stupid…I don’t call your Breaking Bad and Dexter and Walking Dead stupid so don’t rain on my parade. I pay $9.99 a month and can watch unlimited VOD and I get every $60 ppv included in my monthly fee. So get over it….I’m saving money. Vince DM me so I can give you the details for compensation for promoting your product.
7) Well…..that’s not nice. And to think, I supported the XFL
9) Yeah you’re right Kobe…that was a lie
10) This week the Boy’s High School 6th & 7th Regional Tourney draw was decided
12) Good Luck young men and do the city proud!
13) Shout out to CSZ’s Justin Renck whose Holy Cross team had a great season and made some noise this year. It’s a building block for the future and next season they will make Regionals
15) My brother from another mother Terrance Farley’s (@VilleBlessed43) PRP team is still in the hunt for a state crown and we found out last week his Center Lamontrey Harris won 6th region Player of the Year. I know T has worked very hard with him since he joined the PRP staff this year. Congrats and good luck…until you play my alma-mater that is. lol
17) This week started off as a decent week in Cardinal Athletics. It was almost a tale of 2 months. Here’s what happened at the end of February…
18) On Tuesday the Baseball team won 6-0 over Eastern Illinois
19) The Men’s team whipped Temple 88-66 on Thursday
20) On Friday: Women’s Tennis beat EKU 6-1
21) Men’s Baseball defeated Toledo 6-2
22) Men’s Tennis beat Northwestern 5-2
23) Lastly on Friday the Men’s Track and Field team were in 1st in the AAC Championships after day 1 while the Women were 2nd….
24) Great week…until the Calendar turned to March Saturday as a different kind of March madness ensued
25) UL Baseball loses 6-2 to #17 IU on Saturday
26) Even though there was a very valiant effort by Montrezl and the Basketball Cards, late mistakes and lack of focus lead to a 72-66 loss to #21 Memphis team
27) The Men’s track team finished 2nd and women finished 5th
28) Sunday Men’s Tennis fell 5-2 to #2 Oklahoma
29) Can we go back to February?
30) There were a few bright spots on Saturday though
31) @UofLBaseball did follow the loss to IU with a 8-2 win over Toledo and Women’s Lacrosse upset #18 Denver and the #3 Women’s basketball team slapped Cincy 75-51
32) I guess we can’t win everything…
33) Wait….we can’t win everything?
34) I would hate to cheer for a team who thought they should win everything
36) I had a very interesting text convo today:
37) Me: What’s up man….Yall gonna get much snow?
38) Anonymous: We may have been swept by a non tourney team but you all got swept by a bubble team.
39) Me: What? You must have got your convos mixed up, I asked about the weather
40) Anonymous: Memphis won’t even make the NCAA Tourney
41) Me: So that’s a no on the snow?
42) Needless to say reality escapes some people….FYI this is the same guy who texted me after I tweeted out great win by UL tonight after the Temple game and said “Must suck to celebrate beating a team that has less than 12 wins” yeah karma sucks bro
43) I still refuse to treat him the way he treats me because I have friends and family who are rational that do cheer for uk and any statement I made would bunch them into that group
44) Speaking of one of my friends
47) I have it on good authority Corey used that same razor later in the evening
48) The new Women’s Basketball AP Poll came out today and the Cards remained steady at #3 (full poll here)
49) The Women have a huge Basketball game tonight vs #1 UConn. Good luck to the Women’s Basketball team. The score is currently 43-31 at the half
50) The Men’s AP Poll come out today and the Cards drop to 11 (full poll here)
51) The Men’s coaches Poll come out today and the Cards fell to 9 (full poll here)
52) Don’t forget to tune into the hottest Louisville sports show on the radio @TalkinNOIZ serving it up live from the Wendy’s studios. Hosted by Lloyd Spence, TalkinNOIZ comes on from 12:06-1 on 1080 am on the radio or access it from your iHeart app. CSZ’s own Steve Rummage is on every Monday and Thursday and the rest of us sprinkle in from time to time.
53) Russ is attacking the record books at UofL read the full story here
54) If the AAC Tourney started today, Steve shows us what that would look like here
55) Next week I will have much, much more….Thanks for all your prayers and concerns regarding my mom.
You can find the previous 15 Episodes of 55 by typing 55 in the CardinalSportszone.com search bar and clicking search
P.S.-Old Chicago Pizza is awesome!
P.S.S.-Congrats to my guy Raashaan on killing it on his road to completing his goals
P.S.S.S.S.- Everytime I feel down about Memphis I just go back to this….
Works every time….
Shoni Schimmel talks about her final season here
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain