The Cards got a rematch against the Wolverines after being shutout on Friday. The beginning of the game looked a lot like Friday’s game with the Cards having a tough time gaining momentum. Michigan jumped to an early 1-0 lead. Louisville was able to turn around and answered back in the bottom of the 6th inning. The rally started with a single base hit by senior Sidney Melton and then was followed by a walk by Celene Funke. Senior Megan Hensley base hit plated Sidney Melton then Celene Funke also scored on an error on a throw. The Louisville Cardinals won this battle and took down their first Top 25 team this season.
Here are some interesting notes from SID Lori Korte:
- Saturday’s win over Michigan marks Louisville’s fourth win against the Wolverines in 23 meetings. The last time the Cardinals beat Michigan was March 8, 2013 when they won 5-4 at Ulmer Stadium.
- Funke has now reached safely via a hit or walk in seven straight games. The junior leads the team in runs scored (7), triples (3) and stolen bases (3).
- Funke and Melton are tied for the team lead with nine hits apiece.
- Freshman Rebecca Chung leads the Cardinals with a .500 batting average, an .800 slugging percentage and .643 on-base percentage.
- Hensley and Ferguson lead the team with six RBIs each.
- Hensley now has 135 career RBIs and stands at ninth on Louisville’s career list. She needs five more to tie for eighth with Keola Calderon (2000-03).
- Melton now has 116 career runs and needs one more to tie for tenth on Louisville’s career list. She would move into a three-way tie along with Alicja Wolny (2010-13) and Sara Bausher (2002-05)
Up Next: Cards take on Northwestern on Sunday Morning at 10am EST.
— Louisville Softball (@UofLSoftball) February 16, 2019
We are back in action tomorrow to take on Northwestern at 10am EST! pic.twitter.com/734EP7TIGm
— Louisville Softball (@UofLSoftball) February 17, 2019