Bobby Petrino met with the media on Monday to talk about the upcoming game against Wake Forest. He also recapped the FIU game and gave updates on Will Gardner and L.J. Scott. James Quick and Pio Vatuvei also spoke for a few minutes. These videos are from thecrunchzone.com.
Louisville put on this laser light and video show last week and it is defiantly worth watching.
From Youtube page:
A 3D projection and light show to recognize faculty, staff, students, alumni and donors for reaching our goal of raising $1 Billion for our Charting Our Course campaign.
This week on 55……….
We talk Cardinal Camo…….YES…..Cardinal Camo. We go over huge upsets and letdown. We go over the wet, wet, win in South Florida and a slew of other great but random things that have happened this week. Glad to have 55 back for you guys after the hiatus last week. Without further adieu, here are the 55 greatest, most ridiculous or random things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom a speedy recovery. She means the world to me and normally I don’t talk about personal issues on 55 but if you get a moment, say a prayer. I put her for #1 because she is my number 1….mushy I know (Don’t care)
2) Speaking of #1’s
4) On that shot by Becca Maddock, the #14 University of Louisville Field Hockey team defeated #1 UNC 3-2 Saturday. Congratulations for defending Trager!
5) Will be interesting to see where the Cards will be ranked when the new polls come out tomorrow…..
6) I got a tip a few weeks ago that we would be unveiling a new uni combo vs FSU in football. Me and Steve went through all the possible combos and ideas we could think of but nothing…..and the 55 means NOTHING could prepare us for this…………………….
8) First off, I’m sorry for referring to myself as the 55. Secondly may I say……….WOW! Here are a few more pics Adidas released this morning
10) Thank you Adidas for everything you do for us……
11) On Saturday the Football Cards defeated FIU 34-3 despite QB Will Gardner leaving the game with injury. The Cards O-Line looked very sloppy but this game was played on a sloppy field. The Cards line will have to improve if we want to have any shot at the big boys on our schedule.
12) A few highlights of the FIU game were Gerod Holliman taking the lead in INT’s in the country with 2 including this:
14) Once only thought of as a heavy hitter, Holliman has shown an evolution into a complete corner this year. It’s been a long time coming!
15) Also James Quick had this amazing catch:
17) Quick finished the day with 174 yards and 2 TD’s. Quick scored those 2 TD’s within :45 seconds. Amazing!
18) Also Keith Kelsey continued to impress after a 4 tackle day that included a sack for a 24 yard loss
19) I still think this should have counted
21) Oh well….I am sure we will plenty of Keith Kelsey highlights this season
22) It still should have counted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
23) Moving on….
24) Speaking of our beloved Football Cardinals, UL is a 21 point favorite this week vs Wake Forest
25) I didn’t notice it during the Virginia game but did anyone else see Burgess hit their RB so hard his sweat exploded?
26) I wish I could’ve found that video….I tried but it kept taking me to clips that made me sad
27) I want to send out my condolences to the Bonnafon family since I was unable to last week…
28) When Reggie comes back there is no doubt in my mind that he will be starting for the time being. He is a tremendous talent and will thrive in Coach Petrino’s system. If that O line doesn’t improve we could put Jameis back there and it wouldn’t matter
29) Jameis get off that table! never mind….you know what I’m saying though
31) Ahhhhhh……….he stiff-armed him right in the….helmet
32) Glad we don’t have any more distractions like that at UL anymore (Insert Chane Smiley face)
33) On a different note, This weekend CSZ surpassed the 1 Million view mark lifetime. We want to thank each and every one of you for supporting this little thing we do. On my part I would like to say we were blessed to have such an amazing team. I want to thank Justin and Steve for everything they do let them know I appreciate them and we are lucky to have such a great team. We have some great Part timers too…Shout out to the princess of CSZ and her hat, Daryl Foust
34) Yesterday Matt Cassel broke some bones in his foot or something which prompted the Minnesota Vikings head coach to name him the starter going forward! Congrats to Teddy time and here’s hoping you show them what you showed us at the Ville!
36) Great, great moment….Class Act right there
37) Lets go to the week in review for Cardinal Athletics!
38) Women’s Golf won the Cardinal Cup on Tuesday! great start to the season by the ladies. Emily Haas finished the day at -1 for a 4th place finish overall. The Women travel to Colorado for the GolfWeek Challenge which starts today
39) The Men’s golf team helped take the victory for the ACC in the ACC/SEC challenge. The Cards did fall to Georgia in match play but J.D. Lehman and Robin Sciot-Siegrist picked up singles victories. The team is off until next Monday
40) Louisville Volleyball traveled to Texas for the Rice Invitational this past weekend. The Cards did not drop one set the entire weekend (3-0) and improved to 8-4 overall. Janelle Jenkins, Maya McClendon and Tess Clark were named to the All Tourney team with Jenkins landing MVP honors.
42) The Cards kick off their ACC Conference slate at home with games Friday vs BC at 7p and Sunday vs Georgia Tech at 2p. Get out and support our Cards!
43) The #9 Men’s Soccer team had a tough battle this week as they traveled to BC and escaped with a 3-2 victory in OT. Nolan Moore hit the game winner. The Cards travel to Lexington Tuesday for a game vs uk. I wish I was making this up but uk is holding an ABE-Out…..This will explain it all. SMH
46) Trying to move past that, the Cards host PITT on Friday at the LYNN……
47) Women’s Soccer went 2-0 this week at home after wins over Kent State and Syracuse! This week they will travel to FSU and Miami…. I suddenly hate them
48) From GoCards.com: University of Louisville junior Jeffrey Brown claimed the Indiana University Hoosier Classic Singles title Sunday afternoon. Coach Rex Ecarma is doing a phenominal job, Here are the full results
Louisville Men’s Tennis Results
IU Hoosier Classic
Sept. 21, 2014
Jeffrey Brown (UL) d. Matthew McCoy (IU) 7-6, 6-4
Brown d. Carsten fisher 6-4, 6-3
Santiago Salazar (UL) d. Baseem Mekawi (YSU) 6-4, 7-6
Courtney Lock (UL) d. Freddy Abunku (Xavier) 6-3,6-3
Remi Chancerel (Youngstown State) d. Pally Ray (UL) 6-3, 6-0
49) Other than knocking off little ol #1 UNC, the Filed Hockey team was in chill mode last week. This week they have 3 games! They host Ohio State tomorrow then travel to Wake on Friday then will play at Liberty on Sunday
Good job girls…good job!
50) Guessing with the de-commitment from Blakeney that the CSZ recruiting notebook will make a return soon…IMO it’s Dozier or bust for the last slot in this class. Here’s what Steve thinks..
51) Looks like the PGA is going to have a nice pair of Cards in the mix….I’m sorry for the pun
52) Gorgui Deing is predicted to have a breakout year this year in the NBA because….well because he’s great and our Gorgui!
54) Jeff Walz is on fire as if I even needed to tell you. Check out his loaded class here and let me know who you want to see as the final piece. Tweet me at @Jeremy_CSZ and let your voice be heard! My vote is for Arike Ogunbowale….
55) Finally, Thank goodness that Brock Lesnar left the arena with the title last night and my Steelers smoked the Panthers. at least one little guy I know wasn’t too sad last night. I wont say any names though. Matt Wesley. Until next time CardNation, this was 55………
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
P.S.-Here are videos of the Men’s basketball coaches that are excellent, enjoy!
P.S.S.- here’s the Football Intro
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE
Louisville got back on track this week with a 34-3 win over FIU. Not much changed for the Cards as far as bowl location but the match ups are just as exciting!
Music City Bowl (Dec. 30) vs LSU
Music City (Dec. 30) vs Florida
TaxSlayer Bowl (Jan. 2) vs LSU
At his weekly press conference, head coach Bobby Petrino updated the status of quarterback Will Gardner. Petrino says that Gardner is very sore and there is swelling. He is meeting with the doctors today. Right now he says he is day to day and they should have more answers possibly tomorrow. But other than that, he doesn’t know too much more than they knew on Saturday.
Teddy Bridgewater didn’t have to wait long to become the starter for the Minnesota Vikings. Unfortunately, it comes at the expense of Matt Cassel breaking bones in his foot. You wish it wouldn’t happen like that, but injuries happen in the NFL, and now it is Teddy’s time. Filling in for Cassel on Sunday against the Saints, Bridgewater went 12-20 for 150 yards and rushed for 27 yards.
Today Adidas unveiled the new Louisville Football uniform combination. The Cards will wear this new combo on Oct. 30th when they face FSU. I’m not saying this is the best uniform combo I have ever seen but I’m sure not saying it isn’t! #L1C4
Former UofL baseball player Chris Dominguez recently was called up to the San Francisco Giants, and got his first career hit in the big leagues yesterday, which happened to be a homerun. Dominguez was one of the best player for the Cards when they made their first trip to the College World Series back in 2007. Click the picture below to watch the video of his homerun.
The AP and USA Today Coaches Poll were released on Sunday. The Cards still aren’t ranked on either, and actually dropped off all together from the AP poll’s “others receiving votes” section. As we know, in the grand scheme of things, the only poll that really matters this season is the College Football Playoff poll that will be released in October. Other than that, rankings are just something for people to talk about. The most important thing for Louisville is to get better on the field, and the rankings will take care of themselves.
I must say that the ACC Digital Network is awesome. They put out some great videos very quickly after games. This one is a few highlights of James Quick from Saturday against FIU. The sophomore had 7 catches for 174 yards and 2 touchdowns. He also had 61 yards on punt returns, giving him 235 all-purpose yards.
Right after the game yesterday, we asked our twitter followers what their initial thoughts were. Most responses seemed pretty consistent.
Here are highlights from the Louisville-FIU game, along with videos of James Quick’s touchdown and Gerod Holliman’s pick six!
In a game that was overshadowed by a couple key injuries for UofL and an offense that still didn’t light the scoreboard up, there were a couple of positives that came from the performance from the Cards. One of those was James Quick, and the other was the defense.
Sophomore James Quick had himself a heck of a game with 7 catches for 174 yards (24.9 avg) and 2 touchdowns, his longest coming on a 74 yard reception. On that play, Quick went up and made a great catch and then had to do the rest by being just what his name says, quick. On the other touchdown, the defense just broke down and he was wide open. He still had to make a move once he caught the ball and he made a nice diving effort to get into the endzone.
Quick also added 61 yards on 7 punt returns for an average of 8.7 yards per return. So he ended up with 235 total yards. We all know what the potential is with Quick, as we saw him play here in town at Trinity High School. He is a flat out playmaker when he gets the ball out in space, and we saw flashes of that today. In an offense that is struggling and with DeVante Parker still out, having James Quick emerge could be a big boost to this team.
It wasn’t the prettiest game, or even very pretty at all, but the Louisville Cardinals went on the road and defeated Florida International 34-3. The Cards improved to 3-1 on the season, but this win was costly, as quarterback Will Gardner and running back L.J. Scott both left the game injured and did not return.
Gardner was hurt after linebacker Treyvon Williams hit him in his surgically repaired left knee. Looking at the replays, it looked like a cheap shot. Gardner had already thrown the ball and Williams dove low. It didn’t look very clean. I won’t speculate on the injury, but Gardner looked to be in pain as he was dragging himself on the turf. As someone who has also torn this ACL, I certainly hope it was just something minor and that he did not return because the game was in hand.
After starting the 2014 season 2-0, the Cards stumbled last week in Charlottesville as Virginia beat Louisville 23-21. Today, Bobby Petrino and the Cards will try to get back to their winning ways as they face Florida International in Miami. The perfect medicine for a team that struggled so much last week could be a game against the Panthers, who Louisville beat 72-0 last season at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium.
Can the offense get going?
The main thing that people will pay attention to today will be the offense. Louisville turned the ball over 4 times this week and only managed 282 yards of offense. Virginia leads the country with 13 takeaways so their defense is good, but we just aren’t used to that kind of performance from a Bobby Petrino offense. Will Gardner only completed 14/34 passes for 164 yards and about 7 of those passes were batted down at the line of scrimmage.
Listed below is the schedule of college football games for ACC teams in Week 4. The highlight of the day is clearly (1) Florida State vs (22) Clemson tonight. If you haven’t heard, quarterback Jameis Winston will not play at all in the game. There are some other big non-conference games that would be big wins for the ACC as Miami plays (24) Nebraska, Virginia faces (21) BYU, and Pittsburgh plays Iowa.
Right now, the only ACC teams that are ranked are Florida State and Clemson. However, there are 7 ACC teams that are on the “others receiving votes” part of the rankings. So this is a big week for the conference when it comes to national perception.
- Others receiving votes: North Carolina 82, Duke 55, Mississippi State 55, Virginia Tech 54, Penn State 51, East Carolina 44, TCU 42, Pittsburgh 40, Florida 31, Marshall 28, Boston College 22, West Virginia 14, Washington 14, Cincinnati 10, Virginia 6, Arkansas 3, Arizona 3, North Dakota State 3, Louisville 2
Virginia Tech (2-1) vs Georgia Tech (3-0) 12:00 ESPN
Pittsburgh (3-0) vs Iowa (2-1) 12:00 ESPNU
Well maybe this one isn’t in time for the whole weekend, since it’s late Friday night. But hey, life happens, and posts are sometimes difficult to get published in a timely manner. But this is still Justin Time for Saturday and Sunday at least.
Cards getting FIU at the perfect time
I will try to do an expanded prediction piece of the FIU game on Saturday morning, so I will keep this fairly brief. I think the perfect medicine for the Louisville football team following a loss at Virginia, is this game against FIU. Louisville beat this team 72-0 last season, and while some people say this FIU team has improved, that was a Charlie Strong coached team that scored 72 points. FIU will start a freshman quarterback who I think will be very overwhelmed by the speed of the Louisville defense. He and the head coach both talked about how their last opponent, Pittsburgh, was built to be big and strong and kind of slow. But Louisville is completely different and very fast. I don’t think even they realize how fast the defense is.