Women’s Soccer Wins Third Straight with 1-0 Win over UTSA


The Women’s Soccer team had a great start to the season this year. Thet defeated Vandy Purdue & Butler before losing their first to Illinois and tying a ranked Virginia Tech team. A loss to unranked uk got them down but a winning streak was on the horizon. The team would go into UTSA looking push their winning streak to three games. The Cards needed only one goal to win Sunday. UofL Senior Christine Exeter scored the only goal as the Cardinals won their home contest Sunday VS UTSA 1-0.  The Cards are now on a 3 game winning streak bringing their record to 4-2-1

Click below for full press release

Go Cards!

Senior forward Christine Exeter scored the lone goal as the Cardinals defeated UTSA 1-0 Sunday afternoon in Cardinal Park.  It was the third straight win for the Cardinals, improving to 4-2-1 while UTSA falls to 1-7-0 on the year.

The Cardinal attack struck early when Exeter headed the ball in but UTSA’s Bubba Makela made the save in the sixth minute of play.  In the 18th minute Charlyn Corral had another shot on goal but Makela grabbed the ball for the save.

The Louisville offense continued to apply pressure to the Roadrunner’s defense, keeping possession the majority of the first period.  Exeter had another chance in the 27th minute but Makela made the save.  Corral had another opportunity with a shot on goal in the 30th minute.  Caroline Kimble had a chance in the 37th minute but Makela made another stop.  Louisville finished the first period with two more chances but could not find the back of the net, ending the half scoreless.


The Cardinal defense held UTSA to just three shots in the first period.  The Cardinals finished the first period with 14 shots, including nine on goal.  Makela finished with nine saves for UTSA while Louisville keeper Paige Brown was not tested.


The Louisville offense continued to press early in the second period.  Shannon Dennehey had a shot on goal in the 47th minute but could not convert.  The Roadrunners had an opportunity in the 66th minute but Brown got a hand on it for the save.  UTSA had another shot off the corner kick but Brown grabbed the shot for the save.


Louisville’s Dennehey had another chance in the 71st minute but Makela was there again with the save.  The Cardinals were awarded a penalty kick when Exeter was taken down in the box in the 75th minute.  Corral stepped up and sent the shot to the right and Makela made the stop.


UTSA had another opportunity in the 78th minute but Brown made another key save.  In the 80th minute Exeter took the ball from a UTSA defender and turned and dribbled the ball to the front of the net and slipped past the keeper to blast a shot to the right back of the net for a 1-0 lead.


The Roadrunners continued to press in the final nine minutes but the Cardinal defense held them without a shot on goal to preserve the shutout.  Louisville finished the match with a 23-11 shot advantage and a 5-3 corner kick advantage.  Makela finished with 13 saves for UTSA while Brown finished with three saves.


Louisville will be back in action on Saturday, Sept. 21 as they travel to No. 21 Marquette for a 7:00 p.m. match.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.