This week on 55…..
We have a lot to talk about this week. NCST. Red-White Scrimmage, Anas, 2010 Wayne, Rozier, CJ and Trezl. UofL Field Hockey drops a game at home for the first time in 2 years. Soccer gets a top 2 win at home as well. Even a little High School Playoffs. So sit down, buckle up and enjoy the ride. These are the 55 most intriguing, ridiculous or down right best or worst things I have heard this week. This…is….55
2) In spirit of a new thing I just started, I will fly the winning logo from the football game at slot #1. This week the Good guys won.
3) Louisville defeated NCST 30-18 on Saturday at the friendly confines of PJCS.
4) 2 people returned on Saturday, Devante Parker & a guy named Mike Dyer…I think that’s how you say it. Mike Dyer exploded for 173 yards and a TouchDown. Parker didn’t find the end zone but had 9 catches for a 132 yards. Yeah I thought that was a little rusty too.
5) On Offense Will threw for 203 yards and a TD. Eli Rogers caught that TD and 5 catches for 35 yards to go along with Parkers 9 for 132.
6) The defense looked a little rough this week but understand one thing, it is tough playing College Football with no breaks and the Cards get a much-needed bye week this upcoming week. The Cards still hold on to their #1 ranking on Total D. They held NCST to 18 points. A NCST team that put up 41 on the Seminoles, Louisville’s next test. James Sample had 11 tackles, Burgess had 8 and a sack. Rankins and Lozo added a sack each. Mr INT Gerod Holliman added another pick as time expired to extend his total to 8 on the season. Anthony Floyd holds the single season INT total with 10 his Sophomore year.
7) People keep getting down on this team but they must not remember most of our other coaches first years. It takes a year or so to get in Bobby’s players and for these players to learn his playbook after having 3 years with Strong’s playbook. Things will be OK and there is no need to jump off of a cliff. I think we expect everything to go right immediately since we have had a lot of success recently, It doesn’t always work that way.
8) Moving forward….
9) This weeks after story at the Football game wasn’t the win or the return, it was all of the empty seats. Players notice this, recruits notice it. If you can’t go to a game, give your tickets to someone who can. If they can afford it, cool. If they can’t give them to them. Get butts in seats. I have no problem with people leaving early during a blowout but these guys from NCST were down 4 with a few minutes left with a chance at an onside kick. UofL has a small part of the blame also with not restricting access to the Party Deck during the game. Make it a fully ticketed area so you can open up more seats for others to purchase. Let’s get this issue addressed CardNation. We are in a big time conference now headed towards being a big time program….let’s act like it.
11) Well, It was kinda like that…
12) Here are some of Devante’s highlights from the game Saturday
14) He just doesn’t skip a beat
Just like that, first game back, 100 yards easy for Devante…. in the first half. #tooeasy
— #Ble55ed™ (@Jeremy_CSZ) October 18, 2014
16) That guy…..he knows just how to put things…
17) The Red-White game was held on Sunday at the KFC YUM! Center. My takeaways from the game were: Wayne IS back. Wayne showed confidence, slashed to the rim and showed flashes of the 2010 version we saw in High School that we thought would dominate at UL. Well he’s finally here. Welcome.
18) Anas, Anas, Anas……Yeah I know it doesn’t look right but everything about 7 footer Anas Mahmoud felt right. 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals, and 1 assist for the big Egyptian. Coach P even grabbed the mic during the game to act as if he was as surprised as the crowd was on how well Anas was doing. He’s gonna be a treat.
19) The rest of the Freshman looked decent too. Onuaku was the best by far IMO followed by Anas (I swear that’s pronounced Ah-Nas) then Jaylen, Shaq, Quentin and Matz.
20) Terry Rozier and Montrezl will be lottery picks and yesterday reaffirmed that notion for me. Rozier quietly put up 25, 4 assists and 6 steals. Montrezl just trezzed the entire game putting up 24 and 12. Chris Jones looked faster than I’ve ever seen him and had no regard for human life driving to the basket almost every trip it seemed.
21) So there you have my thoughts. My biggest takeaways were: Make it Wayne and Anas
23) I digress
25) A little big but it proves the point……
26) Here’s Steve’s round-up of the action from yesterday
27) Also yesterday at halftime we got to see a glimpse of this years Women’s team and I have to tell you I liked what I seen. The Senior class we have is strong and the Freshman class is tough too. Get out there and support these Women with very affordable ticket packages and some single game seats for as low as 4 dollars.
28) Now let’s take you through the week in Cardinal Athletics…..
29) In Men’s Soccer Strong, Kubel score first half goals in the 2-1 victory over Florida Gulf Coast at Lynn Stadium on Tuesday. Then that was followed up when a Header by Ramirez in the 97th minute lifts Cardinals to the 2-1 win over #2 Syracuse at the Lynn. I think we should just schedule all matches at home…. (insert evil smiley face) The Cards host Evansville tomorrow and Clemson on Friday. They have played 10 of last 12 at home.
30) Women’s Soccer defeated NKU 1-0 this week and fell 2-1 to #4 Virginia. The Cards have one game this week on Sunday at ND.
31) Men’s Golf is in fifth, 22 shots behind No. 1 Illinois, with a 16-over 300-292–592 after 36 holes of the Sagamore Fall Preview at the Sagamore Club. The Cardinals tee off No. 1 at 10:10 a.m. with UAB and Kansas. Live-scoring is available at www.Golfstat.com
32) In Men’s Tennis, Albert Wagner and Chris Simich fell 6-4, 6-4 to Vanderbilt’s Rhys Johnson and Gonzales Austin in the finals of the USTA/ITA Ohio Valley Regional Sunday afternoon. The Cards host the Louisville Invitational on Friday.
33) Field Hockey did something it had not done in 2 seasons, lose at home. The cards fell 2-1 at Trager in Overtime to a team who has spent more than 50% of their games in OT, #17 BC. The Cards did right the ship by blowing out California 4-0. The Cards travel to Ohio for a Tuesday match-up then host UC Davis for the regular season finale at home. Get out and support our Cards!
34) Women’s Volleyball went on the road for a 2 game trip this week and came home with 2 victories. The Cards swept Syracuse 3-0 behind Janelle Jenkins 12 kills and defeated NCST 3-2 behind Tess Clarks 17 kills and 6 blocks! The Cards have one game this week as they travel to Pitt on Sunday.
35) The #19 Women’s Golf team completed their fall portion of the schedule at the Mercedes-Benz Classic. Emily Haas and Laura Restrepo produced top-10 finishes and helped place fourth in the final standings on Sunday.
36) Women’s Tennis’ Alexandra Mally’s upset of Vanderbilt’s No. 3 ranked Marie Caseares was the highlight in a strong first day at the ITA Ohio Valley Regionals held on the campus of the University of Tennessee Saturday afternoon. In doubles, Ariana Rodrigues and Manuela Velasquez defeated Tiffany Tavares and Laurence Guevremont, the No. 6 pair from Tennessee 8-4. (Courtesy of GoCards.com). The OVR’s last through Tuesday.
37) In Swimming & Diving, Tanja Kylliainen was named Swimmer of the Meet as the University of Louisville women’s swimming and diving team finished second in the SMU Classic. Then Men’s team was off but they head to Ann Arbor on Friday to compete against Michigan, IU and Texas.
38) Edwin Kibichiy and Emily Bushey paced the University of Louisville men’s and women’s cross-country teams at the Pre National Invitational, one of the top collegiate races in the country, on Saturday at LaVern Gibson Championship Cross Country Course in Terre Haute, Ind. Kibichiy finished 15th with a time of 24:27.9 to help the men to a 16th place finish out of 46 teams in the blue race, the most competitive field of the season. Bushey also finished 15th with a time of 22:03.3 to help lead the women to a 4th place finish out of 33 teams in the white race. (Courtesy of GoCards.com).
39) Rowing is off until November 1st when they head to Tennessee
40) That was your week in Cardinal Athletics……
41)Shout out to CSZ’s alma mater’s this week. Steve’s BCHS moved to 8-0 this week with a 2 point win over Shelby County. Have games at 6A #3 Simon-Kenton and vs 5A #9 South Oldham at home. Simon Kenton suffered their first loss last week so they will surely be angry this week. Holy Cross is 5th in 1A after reeling off 8 in a row of their own with their last loss coming in the first game to Desales that they lost 31-0. I believe Desales are the defending state Champions in 2A. They have an easy one this week but play #11 Bardstown in their finale. Good luck to both of your teams. Also Daryl’s Male Bulldogs are 8-0 with tough games vs # 8 manual and 2A’s #1 CAL.
42) Doss on the other hand has had a different season. This year our coaches decided to schedule us 5 of the best teams in state for our pre-district portion of our schedule. We went 0-5. I was told it was to make us tougher and to give our Seniors the chance to make stats that would catch a D1 coaches eye. After a lot of work and criticism these kids have stepped it up in districts and are just one game away from winning the district after going 3-1 in district play with their lone loss at Western by a TD in less than favorable weather. With all of the letdowns this year, Doss needs to defeat #9 Fairdale at home then Valley has to beat Western. Valley has not won a game all year and are being beaten by an average of 30 ppg. Ouch. I told my buddies kid, SR LB Ramone Kelley I would be there for his Senior night Friday and to watch him win the District. Told him all he had to do was believe…..He didn’t have much faith in Valley either.
43) Would you guys like to see Turtle guest write 55 soon?
It was just a question Coach, not a sure thing. Calm down just a little bit. I did hear you throw a burn yesterday and I loved it
45) Justin let us know earlier in the week that Corvin Lamb was done for the season. Read more here
46) Daryl Foust had been announced as the new co-host of Kentucky Womens Talk Sports Radio which comes on 970am at 1pm on Saturdays. Tune in…
47) ESPN just released their bowl projections for week 9 and Brett McMurphy has us in the TaxSlayer bowl vs LSU while Mark Schlabach has us in the Sun Bowl vs Stanford. Both Quality opponents. Also seen Baylor in the Russel Athletic. One thing is for sure, we will have a tough Bowl game vs a quality opponent. If only Texas were Bowl eligible…
48) So last night in the crazy world of Jeremy, myself, Tony Stallings and Big Black held a Twitter Convo about the College Football playoffs….Go check it out in its entirety. TC thought a 10 team playoff would work. I thought a 16 team playoff (11 Conf Champs,5 at large) would work and Big Black said to just be thankful we have four.
49) Gerod Holliman was named a pre-season All-American this week by 2 publications
50) Just think if all we lose is Lozo then we add Wiggins and Harvey-Clemons……..dear lord have mercy on our opponents. That first game in Atlanta will be electric. Coming into the season we all thought the D is what we would have to worry about but the Louisville Sluggers have stepped up to bat. no pun intended
51) Joe hates Friends
52) I was told uk had a 60 yard onside kickoff be recovered by LSU…..
53) I don’t normally even bring them up but that was too funny not to. I will say they have had a great season. Hats off. I am not sure they will win another game this season though. Their Wildcat offense will not work against a decent D let alone an elite D. I truly hope you guys sneak off with a win somewhere.
55) I will be taking next week off from 55 but will still provide an update on the week in Cardinal Athletics. I too need a bye week…..
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
P.S- Here is the what happened the last time the Seminoles visited
P.S.S- I know I didn’t reference Jameis at all in 55 but I don’t like to glorify negative behavior. I did find what the Taiwanese had to think about one of the things he did as being funny.
P.S.S.S- Gonne try to put together a CardFam get together the Sunday before the Notre Dame game. All who are interested in eating a meal with strangers, let me know. Or get ahold of Turtle, Bourbs, BeastMode, Shawn, Sam or any of the crew that normaly goes. Except Paul…He’s the worst….
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE