This week on 55………………..
We talk big win at Boston College, Basketball looking much improved, Field Hockey gets a NCAA berth. Devante and Gerod take aim at the record books for the NCAA,UL & ACC. Injuries, returns, and a disgruntled player or two. The first #55Guest writer is announced and predictions on P.J. Dozier. So get ready for the ride. Without further interruption, here are the things from this week that stand out to me the most. The most ridiculous, interesting and factual things I came across. This is 55……….
Yes! This week I get to fly the flag of the good guys. The Cards prevailed by a score of 38-19 behind a 3 INT game by Gerod Holliman and a 8 catch 144 yard performance from Devante Parker and his first TD of the year! More on Gerrod’s place in UL history and possible NCAA history later. Will Gardner was 13-19 for 188 yards before injury. Brandon Radcliff rushed for 52 yards and 2 TD’s. The teams leading rusher? Reggie Bonnafon who went for 82 yards and a TD and also went 4-5 for 69 yards and threw Devante his first TD of the year and added one more to Eli Rogers. The D-Line (Brown, Dubose, Rankins) stepped up in Lozo’s absence with a combined 21 tackles, 2 sacks and a big boy INT. James Burgess added 6 tackles and alongside Holliman is becoming a candidate for most improvement shown since last season. Stacy Thomas added another clutch special teams play by blocking a punt during this game. The Cards are off this week prepping for a huge match-up with Notre Dame in South Bend on the 22nd. Stay tuned for some cool stories that weekend as me and Steve will be there live. The season then concludes at home versus a kentucky team that was out to a 5-2 start this season. There will be no Football next Monday so I will have a guest writer from Twitter that will be sure you are all entertained.
On Sunday the Cards played in their final exhibition game of the season surprisingly dusting off Bellarmine 82-57. This game was expected to be close which is the surprising part. A touching moment in the game came during the first few minutes as Patrick McSweeney scored Bellarmines first two points of the game to go along with a steal and a rebound. Patrick has been suffering from Leukemia since the age of 5 and got to live out a dream thanks to the 2 coaches of these fine institutions. Four Cardinals scored in double figures. Montrezl Harrell scored 17 points, Wayne Blackshear (16), and Chris Jones (14) and Terry Rozier (10). A lot of people have been talking about Trezl but Wayne Blackshear is the real deal guys. His confidence is back, stroke is on and his fearlessness to attack the basket has been restored to his Winter Park days. Montrezl led all rebounders with 9. Chris Jones led with 4 assists and 4 steals. Home grown Quentin Snyder added 8 off the bench. The Cards weakness in the first game was remedied for the time being as they out-rebounded the Knights 49-30. The Cards next game is Friday when the Cards open up the regular season vs Lil Ricky and Minnesota at the Armed Forces Classic in Borinquen, Puerto Rico on an airbase. The Cards will debut Themed uniforms for the event. It will be shown at 7:30 on ESPN.
Here’s what happened in Cardinal Athletics this week:
- Men’s Golf tied for 3rd at the Warrior wave invitational in beautiful Kauai, Hawaii. Robin Sciot-Siegrist led the way at -13 under for the Cards. The team is now done for the fall semester and will pick back up in February.
|University of Louisville||283||269||274||826||-38||3rd|
- Field Hockey dropped their opening game in the ACC tourney to Wake Forest 2-1 despite defeating the Demon Deacons 2-1 in OT at the end of September in Winston-Salem. The Cards did however get selected last night for the NCAA Field Hockey Championships for a match vs #4 Stanford. The 19 team field can be seen here. All 7 teams from the ACC are apart of the NCAA tournament. The Cards were 7-4 against ranked opponents. This will only be the Cards 4th postseason appearance and their 1st since 2008. They are 0-3 lifetime in the NCAA tourney.
- Men’s tennis completed their play at the Georgia Bulldog Scramble Sunday. The Cards did not win a single match in Georgia. However in Flushing Meadows the Cards had some success. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer fell to Virginia’s Ryan Shane 7-6, 7-6 in the round of 16 of the USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championship at the Billie-Jean King National Tennis Center. The Cards are off until January when they travel to Hawaii.
- The Women’s Tennis team did not report the results of their match at USTA/ITA National Indoors. They are also off until January.
- Swimming and Diving held their first ACC meet in history this past weekend as they split with UNC. The men won 220-133 and the Women lost 194-159. The men won 15 of the 19 events. Friday they travel to Tennessee for a dual meet with UT and Auburn.
- Women’s Volleyball are in the midst of a 3 game losing streak after being swept 3-0 by Miami and dropping a 3-2 heartbreaker to ND. The Cards look to reverse their luck this week when they travel to Clemson on Friday then to Wake on Saturday. The Cards are now 14-11 on the season and only 6-7 in conference.
- Men’s Soccer started off their first trip to the ACC tournament by beating UNC 1-0. . The Cards are now matched up with #1 Syracuse whom the Cards upset 2-1 in OT. They will play Syracuse Friday at 8 p.m. in Cary, North Carolina on ESPN3. The ACC championship is Sunday at 2 on ESPNU
This has been your week in Cardinal Athletics…………..
- Gerod Holliman is an absolute beast and is now the UL single season INT leader breaking Anthony Floyd’s record of 10. Gerod’s 13 interceptions rank him 5th all time in career picks at UL and just 5 behind the career mark of 18 also by Floyd. Just amazing what this young man has done. In addition to that Gerod is 1 interception away from tying the NCAA record for Interceptions in a season. With 3 games left, I really am behind Gerod making a mark in NCAA history. The current record of 14 was set by Al Worley, Washington (1968): 14 interceptions followed by George Shaw, Oregon (1951): 13 interceptions, Holliman (13) and at a 7 way tie for 3rd is UL coach Terrell Buckley. He has set the ACC single season mark and is in the top 20 in ACC career INT’s. Truly remarkable. But is it Heisman remarkable?
— Anthony Becht (@Anthony_Becht) November 10, 2014
- I say YES,YES, YES!
- Im gonna need them to calm down a little bit………
- Moving forward
- Mark Ennis is a legit 6’3….maybe….he’s a lot taller than I thought he would be. I had absolutely no stats to back up my assumption that he was 5’5. At least I’m honest
- If you have never been to the Sports & Social club I recommend you go. Was a very unique game watch spot and had a ton of fun.
My spot for the night pic.twitter.com/q9WMZ62R9L
— #Ble55ed™ (@Jeremy_CSZ) November 8, 2014
- Had a blast there Saturday night watching the game with Raashaan & Haven and the crew and having Steve’s bachelor party too that night. This is the last 55 that single Steve will read. I am sad. lol. Just kidding….a little.
- Guys get on Twitter and follow @CardsAuthentic for great deals, contests and giveaways.
- There were a couple of current players who were disgruntled this weekend…..
- Aric Holman reclassified to 2016 which I believe makes him a lock for UL. We had been told earlier last week that Louisville would grab Holman only if he re-classified.
- As much as I hate it, a 2 qb system seems to be in the CARDS for Louisville. This has only been made possible by the tremendous improvement of the Offensive Line. Kudos to those guys after taking so many beating early in this season.
- Under the radar recruits Jared Payton and Ramone Kelly will visit Louisville for the uk game
- Will P.J. Dozier pick Louisville? (See earlier Youtube on the YES! chant for my prediction)
- Prayers out to UL commit Traveon Samuel for a speedy recovery after his injury this weekend. CardNation has got you! It’s my understanding that he will be an early enrollee at UL so he will be able to heal and get right into the flow for Spring Ball.
- Hopefully Lozo, Pio & Will will be all better for the Cards match-up vs ND. this is a much-needed bye week for the Cards.
- Shaq Aaron has still not been cleared by the NCAA
- not sure
- I digress
- Despite falling about 20 yards short of what he needed to reach 1000 yards on the season, Devante Parker (29) is still in reach of Ibn Green’s record 33 receiving touchdowns for his career. That was implied sarcasm at the beginning of the statement for those who don’t get it. BeastMode, I will explain later. lol. What a truly astonishing feat as Devante has amassed nearly 500 yards in just 3 games. He has 3 to go. He needs to average 170 yards per game to get it. It’s gonna be tight but with ND & uk’s not so impressive pass defense coming up, never say never.
- After you read 55, feel free to leave a comment. Even the people who have been writing negative comments are welcome. : )
- Last but not least, the latest CardFam Luncheon will take place Sunday at noon at the Cardinal Hall of Fame Café. All are welcome. we have a pretty good time. until next time…………………..
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
The guy that Louisville will land on Wednesday IMO
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE