PRESS RELEASE FROM THE UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT:
Three Cardinals Taken on Final Day of MLB Draft
Drew Campbell, Jake Snider and Shay Smiddy were each selected on Wednesday.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – The University of Louisville baseball program had three more players selected on the final day of the 2019 Major League Baseball Draft on Wednesday.
Jake Snider was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 20th round at 604th overall, Drew Campbell was taken 697th overall in the 23rd round by the Atlanta Braves, and Shay Smiddy went 1,088th to the Tampa Bay Rays in the 36th round.
The Cardinals finished with eight players selected for the fourth consecutive year and fifth time in the last six years.
Snider has played in 161 games over his three-year career at Louisville. The junior outfielder is a career .292 hitter with 74 RBIs, 121 runs scored and 39 stolen bases. Snider has been at his best in the postseason, going 25-for-52 (.481) in 14 career NCAA Championship contests, tallying three of his four career home runs, 11 runs scored and 14 RBIs. Snider was the Louisville Regional Most Outstanding Player and on the All-Lubbock Regional Team in 2018.
After one season in junior college, Campbell joined the Cardinals for the 2018 season and has played in 115 games during the last two seasons. The outfielder is hitting .298 for his career with 26 extra-base hits, 47 runs and 74 RBIs. Campbell has started 46 games this year as a junior, and is fifth on the team with 33 RBIs. The Jeffersonville, Indiana, native was 4-for-11 last weekend and named to the All-Louisville Regional Team.
Smiddy has worked primarily out of the bullpen in three seasons with the Cardinals. The junior has made 57 appearances, with 51 coming in relief. Smiddy is 7-1 overall with a 2.91 career ERA, recording 105 strikeouts in 89.2 innings. The right-hander is 1-0 with a 2.31 ERA in 2019, striking out 28 in 23.1 relief innings.
Louisville returns to action on Friday for the opening game of the NCAA Super Regionals against East Carolina. First pitch is scheduled for noon ET on Friday at Jim Patterson Stadium.
LOUISVILLE BASEBALL AT 2019 MLB DRAFT
- 1B, Logan Wyatt (Louisville, Ky./North Bullitt HS) – 2ndRound – 51stSelection – San Francisco Giants
- RHP, Michael McAvene (Camby, Ind./Roncalli HS) – 3rdRound – 103rdSelection – Chicago Cubs
- SS, Tyler Fitzgerald (Rochester, Ill./Rochester HS) – 4thRound – 116thSelection – San Francisco Giants
- LHP, Nick Bennett (Cincinnati, Ohio/Moeller HS) – 6thRound – 193rdSelection – Milwaukee Brewers
- RHP, Bryan Hoeing (Batesville, Ind./Batesville HS) – 7thRound – 201stSelection – Miami Marlins
- OF, Jake Snider (Champaign, Ill./Ballard HS) – 20thRound – 604thSelection – Pittsburgh Pirates
- OF, Drew Campbell (Jeffersonville, Ind./Jeffersonville HS) – 23rdRound – 697thSelection – Atlanta Braves
- RHP, Shay Smiddy (Defiance, Ohio/Defiance HS) – 36thRound – 1088thSelection – Tampa Bay Rays