The band Phish has a song on their upcoming album that was inspired by a game involving the Louisville Cardinals men’s basketball team. It is called “The Line” and it is dedicated to Darius Washington Jr. Yes you read that right. Nearly ten years later, there is a song that came from that moment.
Will ford, of Louisville.com, wrote this:
Phish is arguably one of the most well-known bands in the world; and it sounds like they know a bit of Louisville basketball history. Phish is a jam band that some people have called “The Grateful Dead of this generation.” Phish first formed at the University of Vermont in the mid-1980s and has retained a cult following since then with their transcendent live concerts.
They have weaved Louisville into a song called “The Line” that will be released on their new studio album called Fuego to be released on June 24.
This week…..on 55…..
I have decided instead of searching for different pics of the number 55, I would make this the official pic of 55 week in and week out. I would be up to viewer suggested pics also. If you see a pic that you would want included just private message it to me and it will be under consideration. This week has been an up and down week in the world of UofL Athletics, we will go into detail in a few. So this week we will talk ridiculous statements, wins, losses and Vince McMahon…maybe. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) First off I want to wish my mom the speediest of recoveries. I almost didn’t write 55 this week due to the fact I had been at the hospital a ton and my mind had been on overload. But in the end, my mom needs something to read tonight! lol. Get well soon mom….love you!
3) Oh well
4) Moving forward
5) This week I purchased the WWE Network, now I know what some of you will say…that’s stupid…I don’t call your Breaking Bad and Dexter and Walking Dead stupid so don’t rain on my parade. I pay $9.99 a month and can watch unlimited VOD and I get every $60 ppv included in my monthly fee. So get over it….I’m saving money. Vince DM me so I can give you the details for compensation for promoting your product.
7) Well…..that’s not nice. And to think, I supported the XFL
9) Yeah you’re right Kobe…that was a lie
10) This week the Boy’s High School 6th & 7th Regional Tourney draw was decided
12) Good Luck young men and do the city proud!
13) Shout out to CSZ’s Justin Renck whose Holy Cross team had a great season and made some noise this year. It’s a building block for the future and next season they will make Regionals
15) My brother from another mother Terrance Farley’s (@VilleBlessed43) PRP team is still in the hunt for a state crown and we found out last week his Center Lamontrey Harris won 6th region Player of the Year. I know T has worked very hard with him since he joined the PRP staff this year. Congrats and good luck…until you play my alma-mater that is. lol
17) This week started off as a decent week in Cardinal Athletics. It was almost a tale of 2 months. Here’s what happened at the end of February…
18) On Tuesday the Baseball team won 6-0 over Eastern Illinois
19) The Men’s team whipped Temple 88-66 on Thursday
20) On Friday: Women’s Tennis beat EKU 6-1
21) Men’s Baseball defeated Toledo 6-2
22) Men’s Tennis beat Northwestern 5-2
23) Lastly on Friday the Men’s Track and Field team were in 1st in the AAC Championships after day 1 while the Women were 2nd….
24) Great week…until the Calendar turned to March Saturday as a different kind of March madness ensued
25) UL Baseball loses 6-2 to #17 IU on Saturday
26) Even though there was a very valiant effort by Montrezl and the Basketball Cards, late mistakes and lack of focus lead to a 72-66 loss to #21 Memphis team
27) The Men’s track team finished 2nd and women finished 5th
28) Sunday Men’s Tennis fell 5-2 to #2 Oklahoma
29) Can we go back to February?
30) There were a few bright spots on Saturday though
31) @UofLBaseball did follow the loss to IU with a 8-2 win over Toledo and Women’s Lacrosse upset #18 Denver and the #3 Women’s basketball team slapped Cincy 75-51
32) I guess we can’t win everything…
33) Wait….we can’t win everything?
34) I would hate to cheer for a team who thought they should win everything
36) I had a very interesting text convo today:
37) Me: What’s up man….Yall gonna get much snow?
38) Anonymous: We may have been swept by a non tourney team but you all got swept by a bubble team.
39) Me: What? You must have got your convos mixed up, I asked about the weather
40) Anonymous: Memphis won’t even make the NCAA Tourney
41) Me: So that’s a no on the snow?
42) Needless to say reality escapes some people….FYI this is the same guy who texted me after I tweeted out great win by UL tonight after the Temple game and said “Must suck to celebrate beating a team that has less than 12 wins” yeah karma sucks bro
43) I still refuse to treat him the way he treats me because I have friends and family who are rational that do cheer for uk and any statement I made would bunch them into that group
44) Speaking of one of my friends
47) I have it on good authority Corey used that same razor later in the evening
48) The new Women’s Basketball AP Poll came out today and the Cards remained steady at #3 (full poll here)
49) The Women have a huge Basketball game tonight vs #1 UConn. Good luck to the Women’s Basketball team. The score is currently 43-31 at the half
50) The Men’s AP Poll come out today and the Cards drop to 11 (full poll here)
51) The Men’s coaches Poll come out today and the Cards fell to 9 (full poll here)
52) Don’t forget to tune into the hottest Louisville sports show on the radio @TalkinNOIZ serving it up live from the Wendy’s studios. Hosted by Lloyd Spence, TalkinNOIZ comes on from 12:06-1 on 1080 am on the radio or access it from your iHeart app. CSZ’s own Steve Rummage is on every Monday and Thursday and the rest of us sprinkle in from time to time.
53) Russ is attacking the record books at UofL read the full story here
54) If the AAC Tourney started today, Steve shows us what that would look like here
55) Next week I will have much, much more….Thanks for all your prayers and concerns regarding my mom.
You can find the previous 15 Episodes of 55 by typing 55 in the CardinalSportszone.com search bar and clicking search
P.S.-Old Chicago Pizza is awesome!
P.S.S.-Congrats to my guy Raashaan on killing it on his road to completing his goals
P.S.S.S.S.- Everytime I feel down about Memphis I just go back to this….
Works every time….
Shoni Schimmel talks about her final season here
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
This week…..on 55…..
Once again I figured on having a pretty uneventful week. Name a new coach, get our recruits lined up and on board with the new staff and carry on. Boy was I wrong. In this weeks 55 I have so much info I may not be able to put a lot of pictures in, or joke on Shawn during the monologue. (Sorry Pal) From Old friends to new ones and commitments given and taken away, this has been quite the week. So sit down and buckle up because this week’s episode is sure to take you on an emotional roller-coaster of a ride.
So once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This is….55
1) Poona Ford de-committed
2) Chris Nelson de-committed
3) BOTH are now considering Texas
4) Thanks Charlie…..glad you are not cut like that
6) Sorry Charlie……
7) George Rushing de-committed from the Cards also as well as Isaiah Ford….hopefully both can find their way back home to the ‘Ville
8) It has been rumored that current Purdue U (PU for short) RB Dalyn Dawkins may be trying to find his way back home. It was a shame that Charlie didn’t recruit the in-state kids more than he did. More on this later…
9) He stated in an interview after being hired at Texas that he was glad to be in a state that has talent to recruit….or something along those lines. Classy move Chuck
10) Almost as classy as what he says during the following interview…..
12) Yep you heard him right, he was job hunting before our bowl game….SMH Read the rest of this entry
By Justin Renck:
The day was March 12, 2005. The place was the FedEx Forum in Memphis, TN. The 6th ranked Louisville Cardinals were facing the Memphis Tigers in the Conference USA Championship. The Cards were playing for a good NCAA Tournament seed (which they didn’t get), and Memphis was playing to just get into the tournament.