This week…..on 55…..
In honor of the huge win yesterday vs #7 Cincy I thought I would go Throwback on you guys and honor one of my favorite 55’s (I can’t think of one other) Joseph N’Sima. This week on 55 is a little different as we have a guest writer. @LarleesWorld won the very first #First15 contest. I really hope you guys like the concept and if you don’t its all @LarleesWorld’s fault. That makes me feel better. This week we talk about big wins across the board for UofL Athletics. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
The first 15 lines are brought to you buy @LarleesWorld….give him a follow on Twitter
1) What an honor to be the first honorary participant in the writing of the “first 15.” Thanks Jeremy!
*Editors note…I did NOT pay him to say that
P.S.- Where do I send the totally unrelated electronic funds transfer
2) Giving credit where credit is do, Jeff Walz and the Cards. Are they not a special team? A certain guard hits 2,000 points, and the recruiting success continues.
3) One of my favorite plays in a long time happened this week. Terry Rozier’s fake behind the back, wow. Brought back memories of LaBradford Smith…we have come so far!!
4) Some key football decommits, followed by a flurry of offers by Petrino and staff.
5) USA! USA! USA! The women’s and men’s hockey games are still bothering me.
6) Cardinal Baseball has started, with some great wins. If you haven’t been to a game, go soon. Nothing more fun, and affordable, than Cardinal Baseball.
7) We played Cincy on Saturday, I can’t put into words how badly I wanted to beat them..and we did!
8) If you shaved this week, stop reading now. #NoShaveTilDallas
9) I emailed Jeremy so I had proof I called the win against Cincy…Haters.
10) Montrezl Harrell decided Cincy wasn’t going to push him around again. He played like a man against the Bearcats…what a win.
11) Terry Rozier…enough said.
12) Russ Smith…you have to love the kid. This team in general showed some heart in Saturday’s game…bring on March. #RiseAndRepeat
15) Been a pleasure writing the first 15, maybe I can do it again someday.
Follow me at @LarleesWorld, shameless self plug… GO CARDS!!!!!!
16) Great job! I do think you were a little rough on razor though….come to think of it, lifes been hard enough on the bad guy…
19) I also liked the way that Larlee, real name Shaun, used the cheap pop aka shameless plug. Made me proud
20) Moving on…
21) On Monday Jeff Walz got a big commitment when 5-star point guard Taja Cole (Class of 2015) gave her verbal pledge to the Cards. Cole is rated as the 17th best player in the entire class of 2015. You can read the story here.
22) Jeff Walz is attempting to start a modern day UConn here and we love it. Thanks coach!
23) CardNation, Sydney Brackemyre needs you! Voting is open for the Ohio National Guard Girls Basketball Player of the Year Award. Our own Sydney is in the running for this prestigious award decided by fan vote. You can vote as many times as you like and voting is open until 4 p.m. on March 16. Vote here! You would think the site running the contest would know how to spell her name right. smh.
24) Speaking of the Women’s team…
25) Whoa Shoni…I said women…sheesh. Anyway the #3 Women hosted #25 Rutgers yesterday led by Asis Taylor’s 25 points and 15 rebounds – both career highs, leading to a 73-58 win
27) The Women’s AP poll came out today and the Cards are at #3 still. Gaining ground on ND though! (Full poll here)
28) The Men’s AP poll come out today and the Cards moved up to #7 (Full poll here)
29) The Men’s Coaches Poll come out today and the Cards moved up to #4! (Full poll here)
30) It’s the best time of the year for Cardinal Basketball…Championship time
33) Speaking of the Men’s team
34) On Tuesday, No. 11 Louisville overcame foul troubles to run away from the Bulls 80-54. Russ Smith scored 19 points, Luke Hancock added 16 points, and Montrezl Harrell added 14.
35) Also Montrezl broke the single season dunk record…Congrats!
37) Great honor to have at this school
38) On Saturday we faced our biggest competition of the year for the second time and we came out on top. The #11 Cardinals got a last second prayer answered when Russ Smith hit an open 18-foot jumper with 2.2 seconds left to give Louisville a 58-57 victory. Montrezl Harrell led the Cardinals (23-4, 12-2 AAC) with 21 points despite not being able to hit the broad side of the barn. Terry Rozier had 11 and Smith finished with 10. Rozier has been one of the most clutch freshman in a long time.
39) Almost scored the game deciding points for Cincy too…Montrezl, how did you feel about that play?
40) Same feeling I had BUT I did say ONE of the most clutch
41) All jokes aside Rozier played 22 minutes…zero turnovers, seven points, six rebs vs the #7 team in the country and hasn’t had very many turnovers all year #Salute
42) This made me forget all about it
44) I know me and @Stiz_CSZ and my brother @JoeWahman526 went crazy but how did others react?
45) Right on…
46) Vegas odds came out this week that had Louisville the 9th pick to win the National Championship at odds of 18/1. Something tells me we will move up a few spots this week. Justin put the complete list up here.
47) Coach Pitino this week told the world he hated social media so right after the game it was only fitting this happened http://Instagram.com/p/kuv6WIh49n/
48) Kids….. *shrugs*
49) Speaking of kids Peyton Siva announced that him and his wife Patience are expecting. Somewhere Siva SR is fist pumping for sure
50) This weekend the @UofLBaseball Cards must have felt like they needed redemption for the 5-3 loss to The Citidel last week as they dismantled EKU 13-1 and Western Michigan 21-8 & 8-0. These Cards bats have come alive despite a Sunday 4-2 loss to WMU and I fully expect to see them in Omaha.
51) The Women’s softball team has not had the same luck after starting a disappointing 8-6 including losing 4 out of their last 8. The Cards are in a rebuilding year but I fully expect them to pick it up going into Conference play and they do have a current 3 game win streak established.
52) The University of Louisville men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams combined to win eight races and both relays to sweep The American Athletic Conference Championships Saturday night in the Ralph Wright Natatorium.
53) Don’t forget to tune into the hottest Louisville sports show on the radio @TalkinNOIZ serving it up live from the Wendy’s studios. Hosted by Lloys Spence, TalkinNOIZ comes on from 12:06-1 on 1080 am on the radio or access it from your iHeart app. CSZ’s own Steve Rummage is on every MOnday and Thursday and the rest of us sprinkle in from time to time. Listen NOW!
54) On Saturday night CSZ got a very intriguing new follower
55) He has to be trolling us..right? Or is he trying to find out the latest recruits not to go after? Who knows. Thank you though Coach for the good you did here.
You can find the previous 12 Episodes of 55 by typing 55 in the CardinalSportszone.com search bar and clicking search
P.S.- Find out how to purchase a game worn Russell Athletic Bowl helmet here.
P.S.S- Check out what Dajzon Dukes did for my alma-mater Doss this weekend
Boys were moved to downstairs gym because senior Dajzon Dukes decided to end his career by breaking the backboard. http://t.co/DbDKAHSgDJ
— Doss Dragons (@DossAthletics) February 21, 2014
#LikeADoss…I mean Boss.
P.S.S.S.- This week it was announced that the Football Cards battle vs Notre Dame will take place at 3:30 on NBC
P.S.S.S.S.- This always makes me smile
Now I have to go to the bathroom…See you next week!
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain