This week…..on 55…..We come to an end of an era. No more Luuuuuuuuuuuuke, Russ, Wichita or Van Beast. No more of this 4 year version of Boom. We will miss you and cherish this class like no other. We did get another NCAA title this week and the girls of boom are still rolling so there’s that. So here we go, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) On Friday night, which seems like a week ago, UL Men’s basketball team lost to a team none of us like….
2) This happened though….
4) Yeah I know scoreboard…
6) All jokes aside….Thank you to the following guys
7) Russ Smith
9) Tim Henderson
11) Seriously, from the bottom of our hearts…Thank you!
12) I also expect this guy to leave:
13) If he leaves I wanna thank you too Montrezl “MegaTrezl” Harrell for bringing massive monster dunks back to the school synonymous for dunking
16) Moving forward…
17) Don’t worry though, we still have dribbling Cardinals in the NCAA Tournament as @UOFLWBB dominated LSU 73-47. Shoni Schimmel scored 19 points, Tia Gibbs added five 3-pointers to grab a slot in the Louisville regional final of the NCAA tournament vs Maryland.
18) Coach Walz was an assistant at Maryland before getting the gig with the Cards
19) Be sure to pack the house Tuesday night at the YUM! Center as the Women’s basketball team tries to earn a bid to their second straight Final Four.
21) Sorry Shoni….I meant please…she gets me every time..
23) Before I forget next week will be the season finale of 55…..I will post after the Women’s Championship game on April 8th win or lose
24) Yes…I know…
25) #L1C4 baby
26) Here is your weekly Cardinal week in review (minus Basketball because, well you know)
27) @UofLSoftball had a rough week this week going 2-3 with 8-0, 7-3 wins over DePaul then dropping 6-5, 4-0, 8-5 decisions to Houston. The Cards have to regroup because they have a big 4 game road trip with a game @ #10 Kentucky then a three game series in Tampa vs USF this weekend. This will be a chance to turn things around. Go Cards!
28) On Wednesday Men’s Tennis kept our Michigan domination going defeating them 4-3. The Cards improve to 15-5 on the season. They are currently ranked #35 and trending upward after winning 7 out of their last 8 matches. Here are the match results
- 1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer (LOU) def. Alex Petrone (MICHIGAN) 6-3, 6-0
2. Vlad Stefan (MICHIGAN) def. Albert Wagner (LOU) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6
3. Alex Gornet (LOU) def. Shaun Bernstein (MICHIGAN) 7-6, 6-0
4. Justin Rossi (MICHIGAN) def. Chris Simich (LOU) 7-5, 7-5
5. Alex Buzzi (MICHIGAN) def. Van Damrongsri (LOU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Michael Lippens (LOU) def. Barrett Franks (MICHIGAN) 6-1, 7-6
1. Sebastian Stiefelmeyer/Van Damrongsri (LOU) vs. #24 Barrett Franks/Alex Buzzi (MICHIGAN) 4-4, unfinished
2. Albert Wagner/Chris Simich (LOU) def. Shaun Bernstein/Kevin Wong (MICHIGAN) 8-4
3. Alex Gornet/Jeffrey Brown (LOU) def. Alex Petrone/Tyler Gardiner (MICHIGAN) 8-3
29) The 10th ranked @UofLBaseball Cards went an impressive 4-0 this week. They had a 5-3 win over WKU, a 15-1 win over Butler and 8-1, 12-3 wins over Xavier. Next up…a trip to Lexington on Tuesday vs the 21st ranked Wildcats of Kentucky before playing at home vs Memphis on Friday (6pm), Saturday (1pm) and Sunday (1pm). So if you need to get your Cardinal fix this weekend then go hit those up. Admission is free and so is parking.
30) Although the #15 Men’s Swim and Dive team finished 11th overall at the NCAA Championships….Powerhouse swimmer Joao De Lucca won the National Championship in the 100 freestyle to go along with his 200 free win. 2 NCAA national championships in one weekend. He is the first male swimmer to pull off the rare 100, 200 free double since 1995. It is his third national championship in his career. This 11th place finish was the Cards 2nd best showing in history. Wow! Congrats!
31) The University of Louisville women’s golf team shot a 320 in the final round of the Bryan National Collegiate on Sunday at the Bryan Park Golf Course in Greensboro, N.C. The Cardinals finished tied for sixth place with Clemson with a final score of 913. Junior Katie Petrino led all Cardinals and finished tied for 12th place with a final score of 222. Petrino shot an 81 in the final round and finished the tournament eight over par.
32) The University of Louisville women’s tennis team beat Southern Illinois 6-1 on Saturday then held on for a 4-3 win over Miami (Ohio) on Sunday, snapping the RedHawks’ three match win-streak and moving its own record to 11-3. The Cards have matches Friday and Sunday vs William & Mary and Tulsa respectively.
33) The University of Louisville women’s lacrosse team recorded its second upset of a top-20 opponent this season, beating No. 14 Georgetown 14-13 on the road Saturday in Washington, D.C. They return to action Sunday at Cincy in the middle of a 5 game road trip. The Cards win helped them break into the top 20 today! (Poll)
34) The No. 16 Louisville rowing team finished the two-day Pac-12 Challenge with a pair of wins against No. 18 Clemson on Sunday morning at Redwood Shores Lagoon. Up next, Louisville will travel to Iowa City, Iowa for the Big Ten Challenge on April 12.
35) The University of Louisville track and field teams didn’t get the weather they hoped for in their first home outdoor meet, but the group compiled 29 top-five finishes on Saturday at the Lenny Lyles/Clark Wood Invitational at Cardinal Park.
36) We seem to be ranked or near ranked in everything we do…That’s why it’s great….to be….a Louisville Cardinal
37) It’s therapy for me really
38) OK…….back to the rest of this week’s stories
39) Shoni Schimmel needs just 11 three point baskets to become the NCAA all time leader in three pointers made in a career. quite a feat!
41) I am still healing, please excuse the outbursts
42) Speaking of healing, today our own Steve Rummage posted his thoughts on the effect of Fridays ballgame on our big brother and their mid-life crisis…makes a lot of sense. (Read Here)
43) Justin also lets us know how next years men’s team may shape up (Read Here)
44) Also today this happened (ALL-AMERICANS)
45) ***Spoiler Alert*** They…are…good
46) Christian Laettner is now hated by the entire Commonwealth after this happened
47) Can anyone say Jinx? See the reasons why here
48) Don’t forget to tune into @TalkinNOIZ this week as Lloyd comes back after a long hiatus to help us heal. TalkinNOIZ is served up live from the Wendy’s studio M-F at 12:06 on 1080 am on the radio or your iHeart app.
50) On Friday we posted a story that was written by two fans. @Jgro11 (UL fan) @mathboywonder (uk fan) It was a great feature that I enjoyed, except the part where the Cards didn’t win SMU (Read Here)
53) Moving On
54) Before I forget @UofLFootball has open practices Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday at 4pm and Saturday morning TBA. Here is the entire list.
55) With next week being the season finale of 55 I want to do something different. Don’t know what yet but I will figure it out CardFam….Until next time
You can find the previous 19 Episodes of 55 by typing 55 in the CardinalSportszone.com search bar and clicking search
P.S-Coach P had a really fun press Conference today…..made me excited for next year.
P.S.S.- Although I’m sad BBall is over, these make me feel better
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other peoples thoughts, NONE