This week on 55………………..
I am going to switch it up a little bit. After doing 55 for about a year now, I wanted to do something a little different. I know, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. I just want to give this a try. Instead of bringing you 55 facts each week, I am going to write a column that I break down into 4 quarters. 1st Quarter: Football, 2nd Quarter: Basketball, 3rd Quarter: Cardinal Athletics, 4th Quarter: Our best stories and weeks best tid-bits that doesn’t fit into the first three-quarters. In weeks there are no Football games, I will make that week a quarter where one fan will be chosen to have a guest spot on 55 and discuss anything UofL. I feel like this will give 55 a fresh look and if you guys don’t like it let me know and I will go back. Like I said, I’m just looking for new ways to do the same thing and that’s entertain you. Wonder who will be the first fan columnist for the 11/17 Episode? Tweet me and hashtag #55GuestSpot. I will only pick out of these people. If you tweet me at @Jeremy_CSZ and say I want to but don’t include the hashtag #55GuestSpot then you are out of luck. Simple directions people…. Without further interruption, here are the things from this week that stand out to me the most. The most ridiculous,interesting and factual things I came across. This is 55……….
As always I fly the flag of the team that wins in our Football game of the week. This weeks honors go out to Florida State. In a game that I went into detail about earlier this week in The Day After, The FSU Seminoles mounted another furious comeback to defeat Louisville 42-31. We were in the game the whole time. With 6 minutes left Lozo & Sheldon sacked Winston for what looked to be the game winning stop. But the Cards could not cash in on a 4th and 2 with 2:37 left in the game that would have extended the drive and may have led to another score. The Cards had answered FSU’s scores all night. The Cards had their last lead of the game with 3:55 remaining in the game. Yeah I see the 55, I swear it wasn’t my fault. The defense just looked like they ran out of gas. All in all it was an awesome game with an awesome atmosphere and an awesome environment. The only thing missing was a win. Will Gardner looked like he goes from a c- QB to an a- QB with Devante in the game. He threw for 330 yards with only a desperation INT to blemish his near perfect day. Devante at 80% is better than your Wide Out at 200% as he ties Harry Douglas for the 2nd most yards in a single game with 214 yards off of 8 catches. Mike Dyer had the Mike Dyer game we have all longed for rushing for 134 yards and 3TD’s. All World CB Gerod Holliman AKA Captain Pick & Stick recorded 2 more INT’s to tie Anthony Floyd’s single season total for interceptions with his 10th. There are still 4 games remaining so you would think he could break that record. There is also a chance for him to break the NCAA record for Interceptions in a season at 14. James Burgess got an INT that got the momentum flowing our way and James Sample had 15 tackles and Charles Gaines added 8 tackles. Couldn’t have been more proud of their effort and I believe we showed we are a team and program on the rise. This Saturday the Cards travel to BC where the Cards are just 2 and a half point favorites. The game is at 7:15 on ESPN2
The Basketball team played their first exhibition of the season on Saturday as the Cardinals defeated the Barry Buccaneers 91-71. Wayne Blackshear led all scorers with 22 in an effort that has me believing that the Wayne we have been waiting for is here. Montrezl Harrell added 18 points and Terry Rozier had 15 points and 7 assists. Mango had 11 points and 8 rebounds but was one of the only Cards to get a lot of rebounds as the Cards struggled on the boards being out rebounded by a 53-41 margin. My pick for breakout guy on the Basketball team, other than the obvious Wayne pick, is Chinanu Onuaku who added 8 rebounds and 5 points. I got the feeling that the Cards could have taken this game more seriously and dominated a lot more. Our smothering defense did stand out to me and the Cards also are just a big team this year and put up 50 in the paint. A win is still a win even if it doesn’t count. The Cards will take on Bellermine Sunday at 12:30 on WAVE 3.
Here’s what happened in Cardinal Athletics this week:
- Men’s Soccer went 0-1-1 this week. They went to a 0-0 2OT tie with SIUE on Tuesday then traveled to #22 Wake and lost 1-0 in OT. The Cards finished the regular season at 8-6-3. They will travel to Chapel Hill to face UNC on Sunday in an ACC Quarterfinal match. This season has been a year of ups and downs but its the time of the year that Ken Lolla’s teams normally turn up the intensity and do some damage. We hope to have great news for you about a Cardinal victory.
- Women’s Volleyball moved to 6-5 in conference as the Cards split a pair last week. The Cards defeated Syracuse on Friday 3-1 behind Janelle Jenkins 17 kills, 15 digs and 5 blocks. The Cards former coach Leonid Yelin came back to town to coach the Orange but left with a loss. The second match of the week was a loss to Virginia in five sets. Maya McClendon led the team this time with 17 kills and 8 digs. 4 different Cards were in double-digit kills. The Cards will go on a 4 game road trip starting at Miami on Friday then ND on Sunday.
- From GoCards.com: Ernest Kibet finished with a career-best 8K time and Benadate Cheruiyot recorded a season-best 6K time to lead the University of Louisville cross-country teams at the ACC Cross Country Championships on Friday at the Panorama Farms Cross Country Course in Earlysville, Va. Kibet finished in second place with a career-best time of 23:21.7 to help the men to an eighth place finish, while Cheruiyot finished in 37th with a time of 21:19.2 to lead the women to a 12th place finish overall.
- #9 Field Hockey ends the season with a win over #19 Michigan State in East Lansing, Michigan. Elisa Garcia had a goal and an assist. The Cards finished 15-4 on the season with 3 top 25 losses, all on the road. The Cards were 5-0 vs the top 25 at home this year. The Cards have lost only 1 game in the last 2 years at home. We will anxiously await the NCAA Tournament pairings and report them to you when we find out. The University of Louisville’s Alyssa Voelmle has been selected to play in the 2014 Victory Sports Tours/National Field Hockey Coaches Association Division I Senior Game which will take place on Saturday, November 22 at the University of Maryland.
- Women’s Soccer lost on Saturday on Senior day to Virginia Tech 3-0. It was their only contest of the week. The Cards finish 7-9-2 on the season and await their ACC Tournament fate. We do know they will play in their opening game on Friday.2015 Season Tickets on Sale (PRESS RELEASE)Season tickets for the 2015 season in Dr. Mark and Cindy Lynn Stadium are now available. To obtain tickets to the 2015 season call Dan at (502) 852-0120 to place your $70/deposit. Ticket prices for the 2015 season will remain the same as the inaugural season and start as low $45/ticket. 2015 season tickets include every home match for both men’s and women’s soccer programs. Men’s home matches at Dr. Mark and Cindy Lynn Stadium will feature former Big East and AAC rival Connecticut as well as in-state rival Kentucky. The women’s side will continue to feature the top programs in the ACC highlighted by 21 time national champion North Carolina, 2013 College Cup runner-up Florida State, and Duke.
- #9 UofL men’s and women’s swimming and diving team swept visiting Cincinnati. The men won 210-87 and the women won 204-94. The Cards face UNC at home Friday and Saturday.
- The Rowing match was cancelled due to weather
- Men’s Golf will spend the next 3 days in Hawaii for the Warrior Wave Invitational in their last fall tournament. The Cards will be back in action in February. Still must be nice to be playing Golf in Hawaii in November.
This has been your week in cardinal Athletics
- Yes, that’s a pumpkin and I am sure they carved it in homage to 55 the Series….maybe not
- Bobby Petrino just announced that UofL Football will be without Pio Vatuvei for the Boston College game
- JUST IN: Chris Jones was named to the pre-season first team all Defense
- Montrezl Harrell was announced as a first team pre-season All American today alongside Fred VanVleet (Wichita), Jahlil Okafor (Duke), Marcus Paige (UNC) and Frank Kaminski (Wisconsin)
- P.J. Dozier visited this week at the FSU game. He will commit soon now that he has taken all of his Official visits. More detailed info here.
- JUST IN: PJ Dozier’s dad thinks our style of play best fits him
- Also at the FSU game the Cards had a star-studded visitors list and despite the loss, the Cards cashed in with 4 commits on Saturday.
- As always, Tim Haag from Birds Nest Designs takes phenomenal photos for us on game day, check out his Gallery for CSZ here.
- Steve Is petitioning ESPN and the producer of College Gameday to come to South Bend for the epic UL/ND matchup. Read here on who you should tweet to get this movement started. Steve told me today he will personally tweet them everyday so be sure to look for that tweet at @Stiz_CSZ
- We were ranked 25th in the first College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday. Some people have said they thought we would stay in despite loss. I am not sure myself
- Jameis DID mock us……….
- DJ KDOGG absolutely tore PJCS up Thursday night, if you have a minute Thank him at @DJKDOGG on Twitter.
- BirdGang clothing is back! Well, according to Dan Mosby it has never left, Here’s my interview with him.
- There is a troll on the CSZ board that continuously comments on 55 and tells how much he hates it, feel free to let him know how you feel. I do appreciate his 1 view a week though. lol
Well, I hope you enjoyed the new version of 55. Please send feedback to me to my Twitter or feel free to comment on the story. Don’t be a jackwagon. Until next time CardNation, this has been 55…..
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in thesearch bar and clicking search
P.S.-If you see a funny UL or sports related video, shoot me the link via DM to my Twitter account. Here’s mine for the week
P.S.S.- Gonne try to put together a CardFam get together the Sunday before the Notre Dame game. All who are interested in eating a meal with strangers, let me know. Or get ahold of Turtle, Bourbs, BeastMode, Shawn, Sam or any of the crew that normally goes. Except Paul…He’s the worst….
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other people’s thoughts, NONE