The 25th ranked Louisville Softball team pounded Western Kentucky 12-0 yesterday for their 11th straight victory bringing their overall record to 23-6. The Cards had 2 Grand Slams, by freshman, to account for 8 of their 12 runs. The first grand slam was in the second inning by 5’2″ freshman Lillie Goetz. She also had a grand slam in the Cards last game, a 19-3 victory over N.C. State. In the third inning, Freshman Megan Hensley hit a her 8th home run of the season and first career grand slam, to push the Cards to a 12-0 lead.
The lady Cards take their 8-1 conference record to Chapel Hill to take on ACC opponent North Carolina for a three game weekend series. All three games will be broadcast on ESPN3. On Saturday (4/2) the Cards play a double-header at 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM. On Sunday (4/3) game time will be at Noon.
NOTES: ( per gocards.com)
- Louisville’s 11-game win streak is tied for the eighth longest in program history.
- This marks the fourth straight game in which the Cardinals have scored in double figures and the third run-rule victory in the last four games.
- This marks the first time in program history that the Cards have had two grand slams in back-to-back games.
- Goetz pushes her on-base streak 17 games.
- Becker has now reached via a hit or walk in 15 straight games and in 28 of Louisville’s 29 games.
- Goetz’s two grand slams on the season are the most by a freshman in program history.