55 (Season 2 Episode 1)
Posted by Jeremy Wahman
It is finally that time of year! No silly, not football season, it is time for my weekly episodic series I affectionately name 55. First off I want to send a HUGE Shoutout to Tim Haag and Birds Nest Graphics for designing the new and permanent logo for 55. You can follow Tim at @UofLBirdsNest. I decided a permanent logo would help establish a familiar brand. If you guys find the number 55 in weird places still feel free to send them to me as they will still be included somehow. Without further adieu…..
This week on 55……….
We talk the promised land, We catch you up on a ton of things that have happened since I’ve been gone. (Please no Kelly Clarkson jokes) and a lot of other things that may or may not be of importance to you. I will bank on the fact they WILL. No pun intended. We will go over tonight’s huge Blackout. (The one on the field) So here we go, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is……55.
1) ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC………..I’m really not sure if I said it enough times but ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC ACC
2) Was that enough?
3) I will go with yes then…so over dramatic
5) It feels so right………….Moving forward
6) On a non-UL related note, It probably won’t be the first or last today, Congrats go out to CSZ’s own Justin Renck for getting the Head Coach job of the Freshman Basketball team at his alma mater Holy Cross at the beginning of August. Party like it’s your birthday bro.
8) Everyone is hype for tonight I see….lol
9) Tonight we will have to face a tough Miami team without our biggest gun, Devante Parker. Parker is out 6-8 weeks with a foot injury. (Full Story) CSZ extends their wishes for a fast and healthy recovery.
10) Great visual I found on Twitter
— Craig LaVon (@clavon28) August 27, 2014
11) I still cannot believe it’s Tonight!. A night we have waited for since the seconds ticked off at the end of our last match-up with Miami in the Russell Athletic Bowl. It’s finally here.
12) My prediction:
13) My actual prediction UL 37-17
14) Kaaya the Messiah tho?
17) I said bye….sheesh
18) Despite what @ULHotHot says, this is not me….smh
This is a Louisville football player in 1989: pic.twitter.com/7eAMrCmc47
— ULhothot (@ULhothot) August 28, 2014
— ULhothot (@ULhothot) August 28, 2014
@Jeremy_CSZ hey man Howard didn’t care back then, he needed bodies and you were mature for a 12 year old
— ULhothot (@ULhothot) August 28, 2014
21) Moving forward
22) Also great videos by the guys from Canes Shades radio…… (Warning: foul language and Miami gear)
24) You be the judge
26) If they beat us tonight I will personally call into their show Friday….
28) SMH…onto bigger and better things
28) Great visual of the new soccer stadium provided by our good friend @ULFlyingCard:
29) We are truly spoiled…..
30) Asked @UofLSoftball great Alicja Wolny to be our softball correspondent this season. Heres hoping she brings a great perspective to the plate. (Sorry for the pun…kinda)
31) @UofLVolleyball started their season Friday in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge vs #6 Wisconsin. We fell 25-16, 25-22, 25-17 in a game where we had 8 new faces playing. Then the Cards took on #12 Minnesota Saturday night and defeat Minnesota 3-1 (25-21, 25-27, 27-25, 28-26). Friday night we looked like the deer in the headlights…Saturday night we looked like we were driving the car. They play Tennessee St Friday at 10am at Cardinal Arena.
32) Men’s Soccer opened up Lynn Stadium with complete Lynnsanity by defeating #2 Maryland 1-0 on a goal in the 54th minute when sophomore midfielder Andrew Brody scored the goal. It was a very intense match in front of 7,047 people. Wow! Even Maryland’s coach had great things to say. This was a very proud day for Soccer in Louisville. They had a tough act to follow because….
33) Womens Soccer defeated Ole Miss 1-0 in the very first game ever at Lynn Stadium prior to the Men’s game with a goal in the 56th minute by freshman Chatman DeProspo. Big win over a SEC foe. Congrats!
34) Men’s Cross Country Wins the Dayton 5K while Women Finish Second…great work to both teams. Read more about it here.
35) No. 15 University of Louisville field hockey team opened the season with an 11-2 win over Saint Louis Friday Sunday they recorded a 4-2 victory over visiting New Hampshire at Trager Stadium. Their next match comes September 6th vs Dartmouth in Evanston, Illinois.
36) Already off to a good start across the board…..Go Cards!
37) CSZ’s Steve Rummage started a new piece this week called the Stemmys where he gives out weekly awards for things that occurred. Even one that didn’t kinda….read it here!
38) This season Justin Renck will be taking over the weekend in review section. Read his offering from Friday called The Cardinal Catch Up here…..
39) Also this week Justin debuted a column titled JustIn Time For The Weekend. This column will just be Justin giving his thoughts on everything going through his mind that week. The first one was a must read and was very entertaining. Read it here.
40) Daryl had her Final 4 your info drop yesterday. Her series was a summer series that filled in while the highly (self) acclaimed 55 was on hiatus. Read 4YI here
41) Going back to the Black Out tonight, everyone better follow the rules of etiquette as far as wearing your all black. You have had plenty of time. Read where you can grab your black out shirts here.
42) Also Louisville’s own BSIMM has released his latest Cardinal anthem #Cardtime on iTunes. Grab it here
44) The CSZ Recruiting Notebook has been a big hit this summer and will continue to throughout the year. Justin and Steve do an excellent job with this. Read the latest one here and don’t forget to tune in for the latest one on Tuesday
45) Just in case you forgot everything that happened this summer in the world of Cardinal Athletics, catch up here.
46) We would like to wish the athletics programs at our alma maters good luck on their seasons. Bullitt Central (Steve) Doss (Me) and Holy Cross (Justin) and whatever Daryls is….
47) Jaylen Johnson is not a myth….Read all about it. (Link)
48) The 2014-15 bball roster was released this week. You can find all of the new guys numbers and one returnee who changed his as well. (Roster)
49) The 2014-15 Basketball schedule was released on Thursday. Interesting matchups for the Cards include Minnesota in Puerto Rico, Indiana in NYC, Ohio State, UK, Duke, UNC, NCST at home. Games against former Big East foes ND and Pitt at home and Syracuse and Pitt away. Also take on Virginia twice including at home for Senior Day on March 7.
50) The WNBA released their All Rookie team last week and I, along with a majority of people, were not happy with one exclusion. #SHOWTIME Shoni (Along with Angel) has helped bring the program into the eyes of America. It was never more apparent than when it was announced that the #1 player in the country, Asia Durr, would be visiting this past weekend. Coach Walz said he wanted to make us the new dynasty and I think he is on the verge.
51) Teddy may not have been named the Starter for the Vikings but I am positive he will be after nearly the flawless time he had in the pre season. He didn’t throw for a ton of yards but he also did not throw an Interception. I officially name him starter at heart after this
52) One ACC contributor on ESPN made a list of “Fearless” predictions. One was that Will the Thrill Gardner would be the ACC’s 2nd best QB….In other news, the sky is blue and UK owns Saturdays..
There’s one non UL article @UofLSherriff & @CrumsRevenge…lol
53) P.S.-I wish I hadn’t seen that
54) This Just in, no pun intended,
4-star QB Lamar Jackson has committed to Louisville! @tito_Ljackson
— CardinalSportsZone (@CardSportsZone) August 30, 2014
Jackson is a 4 star dual threat QB and does things like this:
See what Steve had to say about the commit here
55) Finally, in the spirit of the debut of 55 this season I posted an Ice Bucket Challenge that challenged 55 of my friends/followers to take with the proceeds benefitting ALSA. Check out the video belowFor more info on ALS go check out ALSA.org and get informed. Until next time….This…was….55
You can find all previous episodes of 55 by typing 55 in the CardinalSportszone.com search bar and clicking search
P.S.- Check out some of the new ways to enjoy our new conference in AAC Tech
P.S.S.- My protégé Ramone Kelly is absolutely killing it at Doss after 2 games. In 2 games Ramone has recorded 22 tackles, 2 FF, 1 sack and even received this:
Proud of you lil bro!
My lengthy Ice Bucket nomination and challenge
Donavan Mitchell dunk from elite 24
*some info taken from press releases, most from CSZ and my brain
**none taken from other peoples thoughts, NONE
Posted on September 1, 2014, in Basketball, Cardinal Athletics, Football, Louisville Athletics and tagged 2014-15 bball roster, 2014-15 bball schedule, 55, @Category6UM, @Clavon28, @Darylfoust4, @Jeremy_CSZ, @justinrenck, @KenLolla, @Mone_Kelly29, @OfficialBsimm, @SpidadMitchell, @Stiz_CSZ, @TalentedYoung9, @Teddyb_h20, @TheStateOfTheU, @tito_Ljackson, @ULFieldHockey, @ULFlyingCard, @ULhothot, @ulwomenssoccer, @UofLBirdsNest, @UofLSoftball, @UofLTrackXC, @UofLVolleyball, @WillGardner_11, ACC, Alicja Wolny, All Rookie team, Black out, Bruh, Bullitt Central, Bye Felicia, CanesShades, CSZ Recruiting Notebook, DeVante Parker, doss, Dr. Mark and Cindy Lynn Soccer Stadium, Holy Cross, Ice Bucket Challenge, jaylen johnson, Jerry Steinberg, Kaaya The Mesiah, Kelly Clarkson, Ken Lolla, lamar jackson, LOL, Louisville Men's & Women's Cross Country, Ramone Kelly, State Of The U, Tim Haag. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.