Here is the updated Women’s AP poll updated as of 3/10/14:
|AP Top 25|
|16||North Carolina State||25-7||374|
- Others receiving votes: USC 48, Chattanooga 45, Oregon State 35, Brigham Young 15, Rutgers 11, Arizona State 9, UTEP 5, James Madison 3, Marist 3, St. John’s 2, LSU 2
- Dropped from rankings: Rutgers 24
A few things that happened around CardNation today:
- #7 Louisville baseball team took the field for their home opener, routing EKU 13-1. Lucas (Louisville, Ky.) finished 2-for-4 at the plate with a career best 4 RBI and his second career home run, while Crain (Lexington, Ky.) knocked in a career best three runs with his second career homer. Senior third baseman Alex Chittenden (Indianapolis, Ind.) added two hits, two RBI and scored once while senior outfielder Jeff Gardner (Louisville, Ky.) was 2-for-3 with a RBI and a run scored.
-Day one of the very first AAC Swimming and Diving Championships at the Ralph Wright Natatorium have come to a close. The University of Louisville women are sitting in first and the men are third.The women lead 122 followed by UConn (101), Rutgers (83), SMU (72), Houston (66), Cincinnati 65. The men are led by SMU (131), UConn (105), Louisville (103) and Cincinnati (82).
-Shoni Schimmel just keep s amazing CardNation and setting records, tonight was no different. Schimmel had 15 points to top 2,000 for her career in the Cardinals’ 81-62 victory over Houston on Wednesday night. Schimmel is second place on (2,004) the all-time scorers list behind Angel McCoughtry (2,779). Sara Hammond added 17 points for Louisville (26-2, 14-1 AAC) in the victory. the Cards improve to 16-0 at home this season.
This week…..on 55…..
In honor of MY beloved Steelers hiring former Steeler great Joey Porter…and because I couldn’t find any new 55 pics…I have dedicated the title pic to you Joey Porter. Congrats! On the job not being the header on 55, or both, whatever. This week on 55 we discuss long layoffs, an all seeing being in CardNation and much, much more. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) We shall start off this week with a little Football talk. Tae Thibodeaux signed with UofL on Wednesday. The 6’1 267 pound Defensive Tackle is a much needed addition to the 2014 recruiting class. Read more here
2) Also this past weekend the Cards had a ton of visitors. Headed by David Moala, Pio Vatuvei for officials and Emmitt Smith and compamy here for junior day. Read more about Pio and Moala here
3) It was announced that all of the Spring practices will be open to the public leading up to the annual Spring game on April 11. Here is the full schedule:
4) Henry Famurewa Tweeted this out on Saturday:
5) Straight Fire………..
6) On to Basketball
7) “This has been the longest wait ever between games! At least we get to play tomorrow.”
8) “No we don’t”
10) Snowmageddon, patent pending, probably not, pushed UofL’s game vs storied rival Temple over to Friday night AKA Valentines Day. No worries as the Cards dispatched their rivals 82-58. Montrezl Harrell had a career high 22 points and with his 6 dunks, pulled within one dunk of the single season dunk record set by Chane Behanan. Surely he would shatter that vs Rutgers….
12) Because he would only get one dunk Sunday night vs storied rival Rutgers during a 102-54 stomping of Rutgers at home in the YUM! Lead by Luke Hancock’s 25 points (6 threes), Rozier’s 4 threes which led to an overall season high 16 3 point baskets made, it gave very few opportunities for Trezl to be Trezl. Worry not as the very next dunk breaks the record.
13) Also evidentally ESPN likes to call every team we play a storied rival
|AP Top 25|
|14||North Carolina State||22-4||448|
- Others receiving votes: Middle Tennessee 53, Wichita State 23, Vanderbilt 21, Iowa 19, DePaul 17, Chattanooga 9, Bowling Green 8, James Madison 8, Georgia Tech 5, Brigham Young 2, Dayton 1, Florida 1
- Dropped from rankings: Vanderbilt 16
|AP Top 25|
|10||North Carolina State||21-3||541|
- Others receiving votes: Middle Tennessee 32, Rutgers 31, Wichita State 29, Iowa 14, Texas 12, Oklahoma 12, Chattanooga 10, DePaul 9, Bowling Green 5, Florida State 5, Florida 3, Georgia Tech 3, James Madison 3, Michigan 2, Syracuse 1
- Dropped from rankings: Middle Tennessee 21
Here is what happened the weekend of Friday November 22nd through Sunday November 24th around CardNation:
Friday November 22nd
Swimming and Diving: The Cardinal swimming team completed its first day of competition at the Michigan Open in Canham Natatorium in Ann Arbor, Michigan with five wins and another school record. In the 200-free relay, the foursome of Rachael Lewis (23.40), Johanna Cowley (23.27), Andrea Cottrell (23.30) and Mary Mittel (23.27) combined for a 1:32.91 and a second place finish. The men’s 200-free relay won with a time of 1:20.98 as Rudy Edelen (23.73), Aaron Young (20.38), Pedro Coutinho 19.98 and Trevor Carroll (19.89) touched first. of L women took four of the top five spots in the 200-IM led by winner Tanja Kylliainen’s 1:59.68. Andrea Cottrell was second in 2:01.63, with Abigail Chin touching fourth in 2:02.40 and Lucy Kramer touching in 2:04.83 for fifth. For the men, Evan Noble won the event with a time of 1:47.81, with teammate David Boland touching second in 1:48.70 and Ryan Massey was fourth in 1:50.13.
Volleyball: Senior hitter Emily Juhl had 13 kills to lead the University of Louisville to a 25-12, 25-15, 25-22 sweep over the University of Cincinnati in AAC volleyball action on Senior Night at the KFC Yum! Center. Louisville remains unbeaten in the AAC at 16-0 and improves to 21-7 overall. The Cardinals hit .343 for the match. Janelle Jenkins hit .474 with 10 kills and Randi Ewing contributed seven kills and hit 1.000 for the match. Katie George had 41 assists and Maya McClendon and Caitlin Welch each added 16 digs.