Louisville Defensive Coordinator and Cornerbacks Coach Bryan Brown and sophomore CB Kei’Trel Clark met with media on Tuesday evening after practice. They discussed the defense’s excellent showing against Syracuse, preview their upcoming game against Boston College, and discuss dealing with the increasing pressure the pandemic has placed on this season.
The discussion with Coach Brown begins with speaking on the improvement of the defense and what has led to it. Coach Brown attributes it to focus and the passion the players are playing with on the field as key reasons for the improvement.
Tackling was discussed and specifically the fact that on Tuesdays after the Georgia Tech loss, the staff had players working on tackling. Coach Brown advised that when the Covid issues decimated the team, they stopped the Tuesday tackling and they haven’t done it since. However, he feels the players understand the intensity that staff wants and practice and have been bringing it.
Other topics discussed by Coach Brown:
- The improved play of the secondary and how it’s helping the defense overall.
- Jared Goldwire and his excellent play as a nose tackle being integral to the defense as a whole.
- The Boston College offense is discussed and the fact they are more balanced instead of run-heavy under their new coaching staff. Coach Brown discusses those differences and some of what Louisville will do to combat the new offensive scheme.
To hear all the details from Coach Brown, you can watch the entire presser below:
The discussion kicks off with Clark discussing what has led to the immense improvement of the Louisville secondary over the last few weeks. Clark attributes this to practice. Specifically, he mentions that the secondary is working on creating turnovers in practice and that what they do in practice carries over to the games.
Clark was asked about his interception and he described the fact he actually laughed after he caught it. Clark said the power of prayer helped him to finally get his first and that, though he should have more, he’s blessed to have one.
Other topics addressed by Clark were:
- 3rd Down defensive improvement. Once again Clark attributes this to the work they do on 3rd down defense in practice.
- On being the 9th-ranked pass defense in the country, Clark said the defense isn’t resting on their laurels and are working to improve that ranking and, more importantly, working in winning out.
To hear all the details of what Kei’Trel Clark had to say, check out his presser below: