After looking at the first edition of the depth chart, I noticed some guy named Lamar at quarterback. I hear he is pretty good so I guess there is no need to discuss that position unless you noticed that the back up is officially listed as “Puma Pass.”
- The biggest question mark going into this season is the offensive line. New offensive line coach, Mike Summers, had previously stated that he was moving Kenny Thomas and Lukayus McNeil back to guards after both played tackle last season. Thomas is listed as a guard while McNeil is listed as a tackle on this depth chart. Summers had also stated that he wanted Geron Christian and Lukayus McNeil on the same side of the field because they were the most experienced players on the O-line. However, Christian is listed next to true freshman, Cole Bentley as starters on the left side of the line.
- Running back seems to be what I hear most people talking about. Yes, Reggie Bonnafon is listed as the starter but I believe he is listed there for two reasons 1) Jeremy Smith and Malik Williams are both coming off of injuries 2) It gives Reggie a little confidence knowing that coach Petrino has enough faith in him to list him as the starter, as he starts his senior year at his third position. Personally, I think you will see Reggie line up all over the field, even taking a few snaps at QB. I also feel pretty confident that Jeremy Smith (if healthy) will have the first carry from a running back of the season. Colin Wilson is not listed on this chart because he has not made it to campus yet but if the 4 star recruit makes it before the start of camp, he could quickly move his way up the chart. Wilson was the highest-ranked recruit in U of L’s class, according to Rivals.com – He was ranked the No. 9 running back in the country.
- Sophomore Cornelius Sturghill is listed over returning starter Trumaine Washington as the starting cornerback. Sturghill is lightning fast and with the speedy Jaire Alexander on the other corner, it seems highly unlikely many teams will be able to throw over the top on this Cards defense.
- Welcome back London Iakopo and Trevon Young. The 6-4, 254-pound Young, missed all of last season after fracturing his hip in the Music City Bowl. Iakopo, who transferred from Long Beach (Calif.) Community College, tore his ACL versus Marshal last season. He was held out of contact drills in spring practice but should be ready to go for fall camp. Both Young and Iakopo are huge hitters and I look for them to be separating the ball from opposing ball carriers quite frequently this year. Welcome back fellas.
- The Tight Ends – Charles Standberry is listed as the starter but Micky Crum and the Texas A&M transfer, Jordan Davis, were both named to the Mackey Award watch list – Interesting!
- True Freshman C.J. Avery – Watch this kid. That is all I’m going to say.
- SETH DAWKINS – SETH DAWKINS – SETH DAWKINS
We all know that the depth chart will change multiple times before the first game but this is the first sign that football is getting closer. This chart is just for the media and fans to talk about. Here is the 2017 University of Louisville Football preseason depth chart…
As Always, GO CARDS!