Today, it was announced that UofL lost their appeal against the NCAA. The program faces four years of probation going forward, and must vacate the records from the 2010-14 seasons, which could include 123 victories, two Big East Conference Championships, and an American Athletic Conference championship. The school will be ordered to return its financial shares from four NCAA Tournaments.
This is devastating news for the fan base, former players and the university as a whole. As this means UofL will not be listed as the 2013 National Champions in the record book moving forward or have been to the 2012 Final Four.
Nonetheless, April 8, 2013 will forever be remembered as the day the University of Louisville won their third National Championship.
While moral victories are difficult to accept, there are plenty of things the NCAA can never take away from us. We all remember watching Luke Hancock winning MOP after hitting three after three after three. Tim Henderson put the dagger through Wichita State’s heart. The sound of the crowd when Trezl put down one of the best dunks we have ever witnessed. Or the heart and leadership of Peyton Siva and the insane way Russ Smith would move through defenders. The brotherhood that shined after Kevin Ware suffered a broken leg in the Elite 8.
I know I stood there with tears down my cheeks as that final buzzer went off, hugging my friends and fellow students and soaked in that moment. The NCAA can never take that moment from me.
The 2013 team was and remains special. That is something NOBODY can take from us.
The University of Louisville announced today that they will resume the basketball series with Western Kentucky University starting in 2018. The series was always nice to have on the schedule, you get a in-state school who is in an above average mid major conference. That is, until they threw punches at our boy Trezl and the series wasn’t renewed. It is good to see things have calmed down between the two programs and we can move forward with the games. UofL and WKU currently play in baseball every year and football will begin a series from 2018-2020.
Here are some of the highlights from the last few days of the NBA Summer League from Las Vegas, Nevada. The highlights come from @UofLFanBase and are very well done.
Seemingly the former Cards have been doing work around all of the summer leagues. The Houston Rockets are no strangers to Cards on their team. Nanu & Trezl did some work yesterday. Enjoy this highlight reel from @UofLFanBase:
This week on 55…..
We talk basketball, both men’s and Women’s. We talk players of the week in multiple sports. Podcast CSZ??? We talk commits and de-commits. I will bring you a podcast I did last night with the fine folks at All Sports Discussion ACC. From Clothing to draft projections we have you all covered here.
Without further adieu, here are the most ridiculous, outlandish, interesting or just downright obnoxious things I have heard this week. THIS is 55…..
This week…..on 55…..
We talk Season Finale. Great season by Shoni as the Women’s Basketball run came to an end. Another era ended. We asked you what your Top 25 moments were of this season and you tweeted them to us. In a 2 week time frame that has felt like the worst time frame in our lives, was there a bright spot? Were there 2? Were there 3? (Shoni may agree) The Year Of The Cardinal may have some to an end but it’s not the end. It also wasn’t the only streak that ended this weekend. So here we go, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is the season finale of……55.
Here we go……….
1) On Tuesday night, the amazing career of Shoni Schimmel and the unforgettable season of the University of Louisville Women’s basketball team came to an end when they lost to Maryland 76-73 at home in the KFC YUM! Center. Shoni scored 31 points and added 5 steals and 4 assists while playing the entire 40 minutes. After a slow start to the 2nd half, Shoni erupted with back to back 3’s in the final 30 seconds and had a chance to tie it with one of the best drawn up and executed plays I have seen in my life. It didn’t go in. Asia Taylor added 12 points, 6 assists and 8 rebounds. Antonita Slaughter scored 16. Thank you Seniors for the great ride and thank you Shoni as I am sure that your jersey will hang from the rafters one day, and this next picture that I’ve used several times this season will forever remind CardNation of what you are all about.
3) If only there was something Shoni could do within those next few days to lift her spirits and the spirits of CardNation…..
4) Oh Yeah
6) Shoni beat all of the ladies to win the women’s title, then beat men’s winner Brady Heslip to win the overall championship. Great day had by all…well except Oddysey
8) As @Slaughter_4 said……You mad?
10) Moving forward
11) On Thursday I asked you guys to send me your 2013-14 moment of the year so I could include them in this season finale. I got a lot of responses and I can’t include the duplicates but here are your top moments of the year.
This week…..on 55…..
In honor of the huge win yesterday vs #7 Cincy I thought I would go Throwback on you guys and honor one of my favorite 55’s (I can’t think of one other) Joseph N’Sima. This week on 55 is a little different as we have a guest writer. @LarleesWorld won the very first #First15 contest. I really hope you guys like the concept and if you don’t its all @LarleesWorld’s fault. That makes me feel better. This week we talk about big wins across the board for UofL Athletics. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
The first 15 lines are brought to you buy @LarleesWorld….give him a follow on Twitter
1) What an honor to be the first honorary participant in the writing of the “first 15.” Thanks Jeremy!
*Editors note…I did NOT pay him to say that
P.S.- Where do I send the totally unrelated electronic funds transfer
2) Giving credit where credit is do, Jeff Walz and the Cards. Are they not a special team? A certain guard hits 2,000 points, and the recruiting success continues.
3) One of my favorite plays in a long time happened this week. Terry Rozier’s fake behind the back, wow. Brought back memories of LaBradford Smith…we have come so far!!
4) Some key football decommits, followed by a flurry of offers by Petrino and staff.
5) USA! USA! USA! The women’s and men’s hockey games are still bothering me.
6) Cardinal Baseball has started, with some great wins. If you haven’t been to a game, go soon. Nothing more fun, and affordable, than Cardinal Baseball.
7) We played Cincy on Saturday, I can’t put into words how badly I wanted to beat them..and we did!
8) If you shaved this week, stop reading now. #NoShaveTilDallas
9) I emailed Jeremy so I had proof I called the win against Cincy…Haters.
10) Montrezl Harrell decided Cincy wasn’t going to push him around again. He played like a man against the Bearcats…what a win.
11) Terry Rozier…enough said.
12) Russ Smith…you have to love the kid. This team in general showed some heart in Saturday’s game…bring on March. #RiseAndRepeat
15) Been a pleasure writing the first 15, maybe I can do it again someday.
Follow me at @LarleesWorld, shameless self plug… GO CARDS!!!!!!
Read the rest of this entry