We started doing this post last season during the week of the Spring Football game. We give you five offensive and five defensive players to watch at this Friday’s spring game. These are guys that you may have heard of, but they are not the obvious names that you surely know. For example, I did not put DeVante Parker on the list last year. Pretty sure you already knew who he was and that he was going to be a decent player for the Cards. Right?
So this is just to bring your attention to a few guys that may be under the radar, but that we expect that you will need to know by the time the season starts in September. Just as a reference, the five guys we highlighted last year on offense were:
1) Will Gardner – Was an obvious choice, but he was following Teddy. It couldn’t be ignored to watch him.
2) L.J. Scott – Had a phenomenal spring game. Didn’t see too much action during the season, but fans still knew who he was after that spring game and he should be in for a big sophomore campaign.
3) Matt Milton – Never did pan out as a big wide receiver threat in games, but I do remember him catching a touchdown in the spring game, so that made me feel good about including him.
4) Tobijah Hughley – I had never heard of him leading up to the spring game, but we included him anyway. He ended up starting 12 games at Center last season.
5) Keith Towbridge – Was only a backup in 2013, but played in all 13 games last season. Expected to be a big playmaker at tight end this season.
So what does all of that mean? Probably not much, unless you like to learn about players and then see them probably pan out as contributors during the season. You can be sitting there Friday at the game and tell your friends about these players that they don’t know about, and then you sound smart. And if these players don’t play well, then I will take the blame. Just tell them about that idiot on CardinalSportsZone.com.
So here are the five guys to watch for this Friday on offense. And the biggest one besides these five will be obvious: the Quarterback race between Reggie Bonnafon, Kyle Bolin, and Tyler Ferguson.
Micky Crum- Tight End/Linebacker
6’4 220 lbs
Photo courtesy of themblock.com
Reggie Bonnafon just posted this picture on Instagram. It is all 8 football visitors wearing the black uniforms. Looks pretty sharp! The list of visitors is here.
The Cards may be on the bye week, but there are still things to be excited about on this Saturday, and one of those is the future of Cardinal football! This post is all about seeing how a few 2014 UofL commits did in their games on Friday night. These guys put up some big numbers! And another important stat: all of their teams won! It is a big thing if you can recruit kids that are used to winning.
Currently the Cards have 14 verbal commits for the class of 2014. Of those 14 players, 8 are from the state of Florida. Coach Strong and staff continue to be a big time presence in the sunshine state when it comes to recruiting. Here is the list of commits so far, as well as their ranking on certain sites. Go Cards!
2014 UofL Football Commits (verbal)
Team recruiting rankings (May 22, 10:00 p.m.)