Yesterday, Louisville Softball had 10 players named to All-American Scholar Athlete honors. These players had a GPA that was over a 3.5. The team as a whole was honored as one of the top academic softball teams in the nation.
The 2016 Softball season for The University of Louisville came to a conclusion with a 6-4 loss to BYU in the elimination bracket of the Columbia Regional in the NCAA Tournament. In the double elimination regional, The Cards lost their opening game to Nebraska in heartbreaking fashion as Nebraska hit a walk off single giving them the 3-2 victory. This was the third time this season that Louisville played Nebraska and the second time Nebraska won on a walk off. Read the rest of this entry
As announced on the NCAA selection show last night on ESPNU, The Louisville Cardinals Softball team has earned an at large bid and will be playing in the Columbia Regional along with the overall 15 seed Missouri, BYU and Nebraska. The Cards first game will be played on Thursday, May 19th at 5:30. It will be broadcast on ESPN2. The ladies will face Nebraska in their opening game of the double elimination regional. Here is the regional schedule…..
Here is the itinerary for this Saturday highlighted by the Wendy’s Wonderful Spring Game at 1pm.
As you can see, the day can be full of Cardinal Athletics if you wish to partake. Start off your day with the Cardinal Sports Zone show, with your host Steve Rummage, on ESPN 93.9 FM The Ville at 10am. The Red Rage tailgate will kick off the day at 8am so stay tuned for more details. It is supposed to be sunny with a high of 77° on Saturday so it should be an awesome day.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh CardNation, Don’t you Dare be sour, CLAP your hands for the podcast champ and feeeeeeeeeeeeel the POWERRRRRRRRRRRR! Sorry. If you don’t watch wrestling then you probably didn’t get that. My bad. But as you can tell I am super pumped to bring back the award-winning (I printed it out) longest running episodic post on CardinalSportsZone.com…..55. It is kind of a throwback Thursday edition of 55. Without further adieu here are the most ridiculous, outlandish, interesting or just downright obnoxious things I have heard this week. THIS is 55…..
Quarter 1: What’s been up?
The 25th ranked Louisville Softball team pounded Western Kentucky 12-0 yesterday for their 11th straight victory bringing their overall record to 23-6. The Cards had 2 Grand Slams, by freshman, to account for 8 of their 12 runs. The first grand slam was in the second inning by 5’2″ freshman Lillie Goetz. She also had a grand slam in the Cards last game, a 19-3 victory over N.C. State. In the third inning, Freshman Megan Hensley hit a her 8th home run of the season and first career grand slam, to push the Cards to a 12-0 lead.
One staple of my podcast, Live With 55, is a segment I call This Week In Cardinal Athletics or TWICA for short. Since LW55 will not air this week due to the Men’s Basketball game at Pitt, I felt compelled to let you know what we have in store for you this week. The fine people at the University of Louisville helped me out today by putting the games into graphics that are awesome. So whenever you need to look at the schedule bookmark this for the week! Without further adieu, Here is This Week In Cardinal Athletics, or TWICA!
(Spoiler-You won’t hear the music playing but I hear it)
(PS-If you don’t get the joke listen to LiveWith55 Wednesday nights at 730 at blogtalkradio.com/csz)
Tuesday February 23rd
Check out this weeks episode of LiveWith55! Tonight we talked to Marques Maybin about UofL hoops (were supposed to) vs Uva/UNC and Dave Lackford who is the moderator of FSU’s Warchant.com will talk to us about NSD. If you love sports knowledge and NSD info listen to Dave’s interview. Very insightful and knowledgable. Also went over new uniforms, TWICA plus much more on LiveWith55!
If you want to listen to the LiveWith55 podcast do the following:
If you didn’t or couldn’t listen to the CardinalSportsZone podcast live today, it’s available here! Tons of Basketball news. Damian Lee, Ralph Willard & P.R. are just a few. Did you hear about CSZ & 93.9? Plus much more. We have a podcast tab where all episodes will be kept. You can also favorite CardinalSportsZonein your browser. The CardinalSportsZone podcast is available on iTunes! Click on the badge below to subscribe today! Call in to the show on Monday’s and Friday’s at our regular time of noon at (914) 338-0180.
As always we hope you enjoy todays episode of the CardinalSportsZone Podcast:
If you want to listen to the CardinalSportsZone podcast do the following:
Here is the debut episode of Live with 55 with guest former UofL Wide-out Lavell Boyd. I hope you enjoy.
This week on 55…..
We close in on the season finale of 55. We talk about Elite 8’s, departures and Villains. The men’s Tennis team jumps into the top 25. JamFest and McDonald’s All-American games are this week. What will I do this summer? Find out today! Steve needed a hug on the Podcast today and me and Justin tried our best to console him. Rebuild or Reload? Hmm. All of this and more……….
Without further adieu, here are the most ridiculous, outlandish, interesting or just downright obnoxious things I have heard this week. THIS is 55…..
The 2014 Louisville Softball team has surely seen its share of ups and downs. Here are the season results: started 5-6, won 7 in a row, lost 4 of 6, won 3 in a row, lost 4, won 8, lost 3, won 3, lost 2 then won 5 in a row to claim the AAC Tournament championship. I’m tired from just looking at the results. They compiled an 0-6 record vs the current top 25 as well. This team had 13 losses last year and 5 the year before, already surpassing the total of both years combined this year with a record of 36-20. I know it sounds like I am piling on but one thing I do know after watching several of the games in person (all of which they won) is that this team has firepower and heart. I know what you are saying….oh no…not heart, that’s what they say when a team isn’t good. Not in this case. On Friday as the unranked Cards take on the #23 LSU Tigers, the Cards will match up really well with the Tigers club. The Tigers are 35-22 on the year with a 4-3 loss in their conference tournament against #14 Kentucky.
After a long hiatus I am back to bring you the week n review. Thanks for all that helped by praying for my family in a time of need. With that being said here is you Cardinal week in review from 4/28 through 5/6
University of Louisville freshman Robert Geibel of the men’s golf team finished in a tie for fourth place at American Athletic Conference Men’s Golf Championship on Tuesday in Palm Harbor. Louisville finished in a tie for 5th for the team title finishing 12 shots off of the lead. This finish has landed them a spot in the NCAA tournament for just the 7th time in team history in team competition. They will be the 9th seed in the Auburn regional which runs from May 15th-17th at the Auburn University club. This is the first team appearance for the team since 2009.
This week…..on 55…..
We talk Season Finale. Great season by Shoni as the Women’s Basketball run came to an end. Another era ended. We asked you what your Top 25 moments were of this season and you tweeted them to us. In a 2 week time frame that has felt like the worst time frame in our lives, was there a bright spot? Were there 2? Were there 3? (Shoni may agree) The Year Of The Cardinal may have some to an end but it’s not the end. It also wasn’t the only streak that ended this weekend. So here we go, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is the season finale of……55.
Here we go……….
1) On Tuesday night, the amazing career of Shoni Schimmel and the unforgettable season of the University of Louisville Women’s basketball team came to an end when they lost to Maryland 76-73 at home in the KFC YUM! Center. Shoni scored 31 points and added 5 steals and 4 assists while playing the entire 40 minutes. After a slow start to the 2nd half, Shoni erupted with back to back 3’s in the final 30 seconds and had a chance to tie it with one of the best drawn up and executed plays I have seen in my life. It didn’t go in. Asia Taylor added 12 points, 6 assists and 8 rebounds. Antonita Slaughter scored 16. Thank you Seniors for the great ride and thank you Shoni as I am sure that your jersey will hang from the rafters one day, and this next picture that I’ve used several times this season will forever remind CardNation of what you are all about.
3) If only there was something Shoni could do within those next few days to lift her spirits and the spirits of CardNation…..
4) Oh Yeah
6) Shoni beat all of the ladies to win the women’s title, then beat men’s winner Brady Heslip to win the overall championship. Great day had by all…well except Oddysey
8) As @Slaughter_4 said……You mad?
10) Moving forward
11) On Thursday I asked you guys to send me your 2013-14 moment of the year so I could include them in this season finale. I got a lot of responses and I can’t include the duplicates but here are your top moments of the year.
This week…..on 55…..We come to an end of an era. No more Luuuuuuuuuuuuke, Russ, Wichita or Van Beast. No more of this 4 year version of Boom. We will miss you and cherish this class like no other. We did get another NCAA title this week and the girls of boom are still rolling so there’s that. So here we go, here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) On Friday night, which seems like a week ago, UL Men’s basketball team lost to a team none of us like….
2) This happened though….
4) Yeah I know scoreboard…
6) All jokes aside….Thank you to the following guys
7) Russ Smith
9) Tim Henderson
11) Seriously, from the bottom of our hearts…Thank you!
12) I also expect this guy to leave:
13) If he leaves I wanna thank you too Montrezl “MegaTrezl” Harrell for bringing massive monster dunks back to the school synonymous for dunking
This week…..on 55…..
As we come down to the last few episodes of 55, it’s only fitting that the end of the basketball season is near too. I just wish there was something to talk about. Oh yeah…we get uk again! So in the spirit of revenge on those we despise more than Digger Phelps (I may have went too far) here are the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) On Thursday night we opened up our defense of the National Championship with a tough game vs the Manhattan Jaspers, coached by former Louisville asst coach Steve Masiello. I like to believe we played the basketball version of a game called chess. Rick didn’t want to embarrass Mass so we played tit-for-tat (lol) and won the game when we needed to. Played smothering defense as well.
3) Well that had the opposite effect than I intended
4) Nevertheless, we move onto our next conquest which are the mighty Billikens of Saint Louis. Top 10 team at times this year, former conference foes…what could scare us about the Billikens?
6) Oh yeah..That was creepy….in more ways then one
7) I digress
This week…..on 55…..
You know I normally start out the opening paragraph to 55 with a preview of what im going to talk about then end it with: Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55. But this week there is ONE ridiculous thing I have heard this week and it’s our UofL Men’s Basketball team being shafted with a 4 seed. So in that spirit…blah blah blah…this is 55.
1) I am going to start off 55 this week with Men’s tournament atrocity. Louisville is a 2, Wichita is in the toughest region and #25 SMU doesn’t even get in? Who is running this thing?
3) Oh….well, that..um, makes a little more sense then…Carry on
4) I digress
5) They placed us in a region with Duke, Michigan, uk and the undefeated Wichita State Shockers……This has got to be the biggest group of idiots since
7) They knew what they were talking about last year though…..smu
8) Yes I have decided to insert smu for smh in opposition of them being omitted from the NCAA Tourney….sure glad FU didn’t get left out.
9) Wordplay is FUn
10) Moving forward
This week…..on 55…..
We talk about huge basketball wins, Women’s Basketball advancing to the AAC tourney final, Sr night and the end of 55? And much, much more. Well here we go. Once again, I share with you the 55 most ridiculous things I have heard, had to debate, or just thought about this past week. This …..is….55.
1) For all that have been asking, Mom got out of the hospital this weekend, your prayers were appreciated and mine were answered. Thank you guys so much…..
2) Saturday was Sr night for the winningest Senior class in UofL Men’s Basketball history….Thanks go out to each and every one of you guys.
3) Here is a personal thanks to each of you individually
5) Tim Henderson: Wichita…the kid got a nickname! Without a doubt the 2nd biggest inspiration during the tourney run last year behind Kevin Ware. This guy was always underappreciated by the fanbase and always worked so hard.
He got in and extended our title run with 2 shots that will go down in Louisville history. Tim, as one of your biggest skeptics the first 2.5 years I wanna say thank you for all you have done. Maybe this year we can use some more Wichita magic!
7) Stephan Van Treese: SVT, SVB, VAN BEAST, Big Hustle. The man of many nicknames for many UL fans. One of the few guys that I can remember who gave his all every single play. Another key factor to our success. You need a hustle play and he will take care of it for you.
A member of one of the most troubled recruiting classes we have had along side of Swop, Marra & Buckles…Siva was fine as we know…SVT decided to come back this year and make it count and boy did we ever need him. Big Hustle, to you I salute you sir!
9) Luke Hancock: Lukeeeeeeeeeee (11 e’s because he is #11, duh) Luke is without a shadow of a doubt the most impactful transfer I can remember with Clifford Rozier being my #1 prior. The guy who single handedly turned around the NCAA title game after we got Spike’d (I still don’t believe it).
and just like that, and a Trezl dunk, in a blink of an eye Louisville came back to beat Michigan for it’s 3rd NCAA title. Thank you to the M.O.P. of the NCAA Final Four Luke Hancock. After losing his dad and playing for our country this past summer, Luke looks like he’s in Luke Tourney form from last year. Thanks again Luke….you will be remembered forever….